quark mini AA & CR123 users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for those beams! :twothumbs

They clearly show the differences and why the MiNi123 will be my new EDC replacing the EZ123 neutral white. I also ordered an MiNiAA neutral white, and I guess its beam will me closer to the one of the EZ, as it will sport an XPE Q3-5A3. I like floody lights as EDCs, so the MiNi123 will probably be my best solution. A pity XPG aren't available in neutral white yet! :sigh:

For those who'd be interested in a MiNi123 with the beam pattern of the EZ123, we still need commitments for a MiNi123 neutral white (also XPE Q3-5A3) :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=206437

The price is the same as the normal MiNi123 : 39,00$ minus CPF discount.:cool:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Both my 123 and AA lights seem to have the same output on 3.7V. I would assume they are the same driver. I've only run them for about half a minute on high so far.
Is the medium mode with 14500 on the MiNi AA also the same as the MiNi 123's medium mode?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beam shots. I always thought the spill of the EZAA was lacking compared to other small lights. To me it fell short in a lot of areas. The main (first) output stage is too low for the level which will be used most often for task use - and the high level drains batteries too fast to use often.

I think the MiniAA beam will be great for this light - can't wait to receive mine. It is looking to be a great EDC.

IceRat

Newly Enlightened
I just got my both Mini's (123 and AA) today and just got to check them out.

They are perfect! I like! :thumbsup:

The AA beams and lower two levels are really close to the Maratac light. The high is brighter on the Mini.

The 123 is just so cool, it is short, stumpy, and bright!! This is the light for people who like a tail standing light. The fit and finish is perfect, I even looked at it with a magnifier. Great job 4sevens!

It is truly nice to get something you have been waiting for and not be disappointed.

brianch

Enlightened
Still waiting for both the aa and 123 to go off of back order status here in The GREAT WHITE NORTH(CANADA).

:mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mad::mad::mad:
where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? i'm also thinking about this light.. god.. what light am i not thinking about..

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
Got notification that my Mini 123 shipped on the 8th, so I hope to have it in a couple days. My experience with 4 Sevens has always been very speedy delivery once things ship out. Really looking forward to this little light. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts so far.

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
just orderd the mini AA, two protected AW 14500 and the Ultrafire 139 Charger.

some questions about the 14500 use:

i have to keep them between 4,2 - 3,5 V, right? and the best is to charge it at around 3,8V?!
That means i always have to check the voltage?
isn´t there any more comfortable way?
and how big is the damage if i (accidently) use them untill the PCB kicks in?
why dont they use PCBs that kick in before the cells lifecycle gets shortend?!?

becaus i don´t think its very nice to edc a little torch AND a multimeter

Last edited:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a protected 14500 (the best option to choose) don't have to worry about voltage. The battery will stop charging at 4.2v and stop draining out at 2.8v (that's the typical working range).
If you use unprotected batteries you have to be carefull to not discharge them below 2.8v.
Normally, the charger will stop automatically when the battery reaches 4.2v
For more reliable info look for a special threads about batteries

steinstern

Newly Enlightened
yeah, the aw 14500 are protected, but i thought you should never let it run down to 2.8 volt if possible!? (according to "those special threds")

never used li-ion in flashlights before. really want to know..

Last edited:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to worry about the voltage drop. The protection circuit just cuts off the battery current and prevents overdischarging. That's all. If you use the battery in a flashlight with a regulated circuit probably you'll notice a low battery charge when the high mode is not available. If the flashlight is not regulated you'll see the output decreasing as battery is discharging and then at 2.8v stops working. That's the moment to recharge it.
Get a quality charger and batteries and enjoy. However, be carefull with Li-Ion batteries and always use them with common sense.

Once again I suggest you take a look at the specific threads since I think this questions are off topic.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got both yesterday.

Nice lights. Light weight. Easy pocket carry. Great UI. Bright!

AA is really green, even compared to my mini123. Mini123 battery tube thread end looks like someone chewed on it and the HAIII is coming off and has burs.

Last edited:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's annoying to hear so much about the greenish tint on the Qmini AA... (the tint not to hear about)
I hope to be lucky on my both ordered (or one at least).
I only have received an email today from 4Sevens asking me to be patient as they're working on shipping out the pre-orders as quick as they can :sigh:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the aw 14500 are protected, but i thought you should never let it run down to 2.8 volt if possible!? (according to "those special threds")

never used li-ion in flashlights before. really want to know..

It is OT and I suggest you have a look at the links in the sticky of the battery section. I made myself lots of researches as I'm starting with li-ion.

I reply, because it can never be said enough for all newbies : Compasillo isn't exactly right unfortunately. As Marduke wrote in another thread, the protection of the cell is to be considered like the airbag in a car : It's good to have it in case you need it, but it's not there for normal use. In fact, it isn't really to save the battery, but to save the user from getting hurt by a venting and exploding cell.

Li-Ion shouldn't be discharged under 3,5 Volt under normal conditions. They don't dislike frequent charging however. If you have a voltmeter (recommended), you may test at home how long you can normally use your MiNi until you reach about 3,6 Volt and top up your cells as often as needed, more often if you aren't sure. If you have a good charger like the Pila (recommended) or a newer AW-139 (some older models are known to slightly overcharge to 4,25 - 4,35 Volt), you don't have to worry about overcharging, the charger top cells offat 4,20 or just below. 3,8 Volt is not enough, that's 30% of the capacity, you may consider recharging at this level.

Have fun with your MiNi and stay safe! :wave:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my mini 123 yesterday - talk about your impulse purchases! Still, it is now hanging on my keyring and will always be with me.
The spot is larger and the light is more floody overall. I like.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk_Lu

Thank you for your info/advise. However, let's keep the discussion on batteries/chargers out of this thread ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.