Quark RGB for light painting

gks814

Newly Enlightened
Greetings, my first post on CPF.

I have been looking at the Quark RGB and was curious if others have found this light suitable for night light painting. I have a Preon 2 neutral white on order for every day carry and occasional light painting and was considering adding the RGB for experimentation.

Thanks all.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is night light painting?

if you mean something like this . . .

477978563892fe0b4685b.jpg

I cant recall but I believe one of us is using the RGB. I know one of the guys there owns one cause I was playing with it, but In cant recall if I used my Kroma or the quark.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Solscud007 - hope you're well and happy :) - I think I was the one behind the big red 'U' but that wasn't the RGB. In the meet up thread, there are links to some of the RGB beamshots.

Yes, the Quark RGB is great for light painting - by which I mean using them as floody light sources - I tend to use other lights for the light writing and patterning type of photos.

For instance the Background wash in this shot is my RGB on blue - not very brightly as it is a long exposure - and the detail is variously an Orb Raw in red and an ARC LSP on a coloured tube.

4362764697_3a71c66386_o.jpg

This post reminds me I haven't done much of this recently - where did the year go to? Anyway, nights drawing in and all - Gentlemen, to your tripods and prepare to dazzle!

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Lee is the guy to talk to about the Quark RGB. An impressive piece of kit that I am tempted to add to my collection. I dont own anything other than surefire give or take a couple of other US made lights. Perhaps I should dabble in the dark side mwahahaa

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Howdy gks814, welcome to CPF! I am interested in light painting, too, and wonder how Nyctophiliac made the wonderful looking green light spheres. Can you show us what you used, and your technique, Nyctophiliac?

Thanks,
Jeff

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy gks814, welcome to CPF! I am interested in light painting, too, and wonder how Nyctophiliac made the wonderful looking green light spheres. Can you show us what you used, and your technique, Nyctophiliac?

Thanks,
Jeff

Usually Nyctophiliac has a number of colored LEDs around his neck. i imagine he just swung the neckchain in a circle (perpendicular to the ground) and then slowly spun on his axis to get the globe/sphere effect.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks,
Jeff

1. Put a tube on a flashlight.
2. Face the camera.
3. Hold the light straight up, momentary-on.
4. Sweep the light down.
5. Off.
6. Turn slightly to one side.
4-6 until you've done a full circle. You aren't lit, so you won't show up much.

gks814

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and examples. I certainly could have been a bit more descriptive in my question. By night light painting I was attempting to describe selective fill lighting a scene shot at night rather than using it as a writing tool.

The RGB beam spread appears as though it would be more useful than a narrow beam for this purpose. The blue flood fill lighting is the application I am after.

I've received the Preon 2 and it is excellent for every day carry, although a bit slippery. This is the first neutral white light I've owned and after seeing the color I doubt I will consider anything else. The RGB is available in neutral white so it looks like that will be my next purchase.

Thanks again!