Ra to release headlamp

red02

Enlightened
researchertranslationv.png

from xkcd

I'm definitely interested in the headlamp or the Ra, or both. I hope he's not in the "I like being the only one with this" or "this hasn't been conclusively proven impossible" stage of development.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do RAs have the same programmability as Novatacs? Does the Easter Egg work on RA Clickies?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder how heavy this headlamp would be...
And if it will be full flood or have a concentrated beam...

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the quote in the first post. It will have an adjustable beam.

Excuse me as I am a little foggy with my flashlight terminology, but adjustable beam... as in Maglite style adjustability? Twist to flood, twist to narrow? Because I absolutely HATE ring flood lights. That function on the Maglite is utterly useless since it is just one Giant ring with a humongous black hole in the middle. I hope I am wrong...:sick2:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
And owning numerous Ra lights myself, the light is extremely durable... due to its material weighing more. So I am imagining the use of the same material to carry on their reputation in durability and robustness, but leaving the weight of a hockey puck on your forehead...

Would the possibility for new materials, and a whole new design come in play when making this headlamp? :popcorn:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same idea as a Maglite, but there are much better ways to implement it, which I assume Ra will use. I know there are flashlights that use an optic to adjust flood to spot and have no dark spot in the middle.

red02

Enlightened
I recall reading a thread that called this headlamp "vapor ware". Is there any definitive information about the release date other than "possibly sometime this year, maybe"?

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Read the quote in the first post. It will have an adjustable beam.
Did not SureFire attempt to design an adjustable beam light that never went beyond R&D phase? If SF couldn't come up with something that actually works flawlessly, I wonder how good would Ra's adjustable beam be; unless there is newer technology around these days to accomplish that?

And owning numerous Ra lights myself, the light is extremely durable... due to its material weighing more. So I am imagining the use of the same material to carry on their reputation in durability and robustness, but leaving the weight of a hockey puck on your forehead... Would the possibility for new materials, and a whole new design come in play when making this headlamp? :popcorn:

I don't think there is a need to over-engineer a headlamp to make it withstand an Abram's tank rolling over it. Minimal weight in a headlamp is critical. You can design a durable light without going overboard.

red02

Enlightened
I think the question about weight is more about balance than anything else. You could move the center of gravity away from the head and get some good padding on the side that contacts the head it should be fine. Otherwise you could design the same robust headlamp and just spread out the weight by moving the battery compartment to the read of the head. By balancing things the right way you could make a relatively heavy head lamp practically weightless.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
mega_lumens, you're right, SureFire did abandon plans to make a focusing flashlight, but their specific goals for the beam are not known. Plenty of companies have produced functional focusing flashlights, and I believe any aspheric lens will work to simply change the width of the beam.

red02, good point. I think the strap also makes a lot of difference.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the question about weight is more about balance than anything else. You could move the center of gravity away from the head and get some good padding on the side that contacts the head it should be fine. Otherwise you could design the same robust headlamp and just spread out the weight by moving the battery compartment to the read of the head. By balancing things the right way you could make a relatively heavy head lamp practically weightless.

red02, good point. I think the strap also makes a lot of difference.

Very good points. I will have to agree. ;)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall reading a thread that called this headlamp "vapor ware". Is there any definitive information about the release date other than "possibly sometime this year, maybe"?

It will be out when its out, that's what I heard. A firm release date was not given but the headlamp is real and it's being worked on.

red02

Enlightened
I'll definitely do that. I hope it doesn't have wires, probably the weakest link in almost any headlamp.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it when I look in the Headlamp section here on CPF I cant find this thread, only a search will find it, do posts drop off the bottom of some sections?