Random major color shift in HID bulb?

mrb

Newly Enlightened
Looks like globs of mercury clinging to the electrodes.

Thanks, yes I'd forgotten about Mercury!:eek:
Not much else in those chinese capsules, only about a third of the salts as visible in some Philips/Osram ones, they were equiv of under 30USD/pair so can't expect a lot for that.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, yes I'd forgotten about Mercury!:eek:
Not much else in those chinese capsules, only about a third of the salts as visible in some Philips/Osram ones, they were equiv of under 30USD/pair so can't expect a lot for that.
$30. Heck there are entire kits, ballasts, wiring and lights being sold for $30 dollars. Makes one wonder how much the lights themselves really cost.

mrb

Newly Enlightened
$30. Heck there are entire kits, ballasts, wiring and lights being sold for $30 dollars. Makes one wonder how much the lights themselves really cost.

I retro-fitted complete OEM Bi-xenon units and only just managed to keep under 4 figures in terms of USD.:eek::eek:
Thought could save a bit on burners, no such scenario!

It is scary that these kits are cropping up in cars everywhere, that LEXUS o/c vid with the mad electric power steering should put people off but I doubt it would many cos they crave bloo and purple shiny shiny.:sigh:
I bet if you put and EMI/spectrum analyser next to a cheap ballast it'd be picking up all sorts.
Trouble is the kits are so cheap even if they fail in x weeks/months peeps will just pick up another set.
Like I've learnt, you certainly get what you pay for:twothumbs

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I assume with his ebay feedback and history, its a reliable purchase?

And, if (when) i do it again, those Z projectors will not be my first choice.
The z's do project some unfocused light to the side, but its not a part of the main beam.
There were 3 reasons I went with 350Z projectors:
1. The width from center of the projector to center of projector on the Z was within an inch of the grand cherokee's OEM low beams... so that kept the Z's beam pattern and overlap intact
2. The projectors themselves were small enough to fit into the space I was working with, other OEM's i tried were not
3. The z's projector had the OEM cutoff shield as part of the front optic already in place. Saved me the trouble of making one, which would have been hell, and a lot of extra work to get it just right.

The projectors themselves are small, and it looks kind of odd next to the large reflectors for the high beams.

The light output is better then OEM , even with HIR's in the OEM housings.

I'm sure if I had used a better projector, i'd get better output.

Since the whole purpose of this was increased light on the road, with no decrease in safety (to me or other drivers) I stuck with OEM color range. No sense in putting brighter lights, then dimming them out with the ricer blue.