RANT: production LED lights all have crappy clips

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 4 Sevens Quark clips, both the normal and the deep carry. Not as big of a fan of the one on my (otherwise great) Surefire C2.

Yeah 4sevens is a good design for a clip-on with the screw down collar. It's pretty substantial. If I do have one compliant with it, it's that it comes so frigg'n tight and will rip up my pants pockets if put-on/taken-off single handed. I can try and bend it, but with clips, it always seems to be the same thing.. doesn't bend until it bends too much.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's one clip that I've become fond of, it's the one that with ThruNite TN11.

Flexible yet able to snap back to its original shape, its sheer strength and ability to stay put kept my TN11 and now my C2 (which I duct taped it to, after my stock C2 clip broke and Surefire is taking its sweet time sending out) from falling out, let alone wobble, of my pocket and gun belt even when I'm sprinting and vaulting over obstacles.

bstrickler

Enlightened
The clips on my Surefire U2 has yet to fail me, but it DOES destroy pockets, because it's so tight.

My E1e also wasn't too bad when it was in my possession (currently out being used for custom work)

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
My biggest complaint would probably be clip position more than anything else. I don't like that some smaller lights have their clip located near the halfway point along their length. I feel like this type of clip is chosen by manufacturers solely for being attached to the brim of a ballcap and ignores the concept of pocket carry almost completely. I'd like to see more screw-on clips with both lamp-up and lamp-down positions.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip on my JetBeam RRT01 is very sturdy.
The Jetbeam Rrt01 clip is a lot like the Nitecore d10 and McGismo clips. I own the RRt01 and the clip is solidly built.
my RRT01 is a titanium clip very sturdy.
Gotta love the McGizmo Clips...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff2/scienceman6000/Arc6/DSC00887.jpg

Found on Nitecore EX10/11, Jetbeam TCR1/RRT01, Arc6 "production" lights.
I own both the Jetbeam RRT-01 as well as the Sunwayman M11R. The only thing that bothers me on these two lights are the crappy clips!

The clip on the Jetbeam RRT01 is not sturdy at all in my book! Yes, it is made of titanium but way too thin. I can easily bend it with my fingers without too much force. AND IT IS NOT A McGizmo Clip!! The original McGizmo clip is twice as thick as the Jetbeam clip. The original McGizmo clip is a real tough one and the crappy Jetbeam is no comparsion to it! The only similarity is the design, which Jetbeam took from McGizmo (since I never ready anything about licencing the clip I assume they did without asking).

Eric

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
I recently acquired both the Jetbeam TCR1 and the LE Nitecore IFE1 (both the same thin Ti clip as far as I can tell) and the clips are sooooo thin and flexible. On the nitecore it came with about a 1mm gap between the clip and body, I had to remove it and bend it back. It seems to me since Don sells his clips I could get one and put it on either of these lights. Has anyone done that and can confirm the fit? My other idea is to take the clip on and stack another the spare crappy clip I ordered for my D11 that didn't fit, over the top to make it stiffer and less flexible. The McGizmo clip would be best though I'm sure.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ET D25AM Ti Twisty clip (Clip is SS, not Ti)is very well done. Some might want to trim the lip down, but I like it as is.

Snareman

Enlightened
Or how about the HDS rotary where there isn't even a clip offered. I got a clip for a Fenix PD20 and put it on there and it seems to work well enough, but it moves around some and clearly isn't made for the light.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me since Don sells his clips I could get one and put it on either of these lights. Has anyone done that and can confirm the fit?
I don´t have a TCR1 but I have a spare McGizmo clip and and put it on my RRT-01 maybe two minutes after I unwrapped the light. It does fit but due to the thicker material it really rubs on the magnetic ring so I put the original clip back. The original clip has about half a millimeter between it and the ring. I assume it´s going to be the same with the TCR1.

Eric

davecroft

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Olight i Series. Cheap little lights with pretty solid clips.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip! I think I can get one on my new Nitecore at least as the clip stops short of the ring :)
I don´t have a TCR1 but I have a spare McGizmo clip and and put it on my RRT-01 maybe two minutes after I unwrapped the light. It does fit but due to the thicker material it really rubs on the magnetic ring so I put the original clip back. The original clip has about half a millimeter between it and the ring. I assume it´s going to be the same with the TCR1.

Eric

Snareman

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Olight i Series. Cheap little lights with pretty solid clips.

I don't think those count as production lights though. I think production refers to the more specialty lights as opposed to the big mass produced ones. I agree though - the clip on the small Olights are pretty good.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
The ZebraLight SC51 has a wonderful clip. It's sturdy, it's pretty, and the geometry is such that the clip forms a tripod so that it 'clipstands'. In a way I can see why they've moved away from the design - some people hate screw clips - but I for one will miss the design.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the minority that does not like clips. Most are cheap and eat clothing. I usually take them off. I have a Surefire Outdoorsman with a great clip. Most clips should be like that.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should buy one of them water cutting machines like Jason's got an get into the clip mak'in business! N' if I knew how to sew, the holster mak'in business as well.

Matatac AA clips pretty good! Olight makes a pretty good clip as well! Yeah I agree that the E1b clip is good, as well as the LX-too's. Jason's clips are great, I especially like the "Flame Broiled" ones!

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I think the functionality of a clip can go two ways. A belt clip is different than a clip that's mainly designed to clip to the inside of a jacket pocket or jeans pocket. I love the Eagletac D25A clicky clip, but it's clearly too close to the tube to clip it on a thick and wide leather belt. If you try that, it'll probably either cut into the belt or you risk bending/breaking it.
Eitherway, the lanyard is great to use on a belt, the clip is great to have the light sit in my pocket. I wouldn't want a thicket or heavier clip on that light, but you could probably put two small spacers on it so it'll widen up for belt usage.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a clip-snob as I dont hardly ever use the clips on any of my lights anyway, so the only problem I've noticed is that there's really no point in putting a clip on an 18650 sized light, because its too big to be clipped onto a pocket anyway. Aside from that, I dont like the clip on my new-ish Jetbeam PC-10. I got the light about 6 weeks ago, and the clip can be installed in 2 places, pointing in either direction, but the way I wanet it pointed, towards the head, causes the end up the clip to rub up against the bezel, which you have to twist to get to turbo mode, and it makes it difficult to twist and scratches the anodizing.

I've removed the clips from 1/2 of my lights.

Latest posts