Rayovac 1aa headlamp

Mocs123

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the exact weight of this headlamp? I am a lightweight backpacker and want a 1 watt light with diffuser that is lighter than my 96 gram Petzl Tikka XP.

Thanks in advance.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
My mildly tweaked unit weighs 42 grams without the battery.

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the exact weight of this headlamp? I am a lightweight backpacker and want a 1 watt light with diffuser that is lighter than my 96 gram Petzl Tikka XP.

Thanks in advance.

Its lightweight, but because battery life is short at two hours with little warning when it is dead, you will have to carry spare batteries

You might want to look at the princeton tec fuel. Its compact, small and weighs 73 grams with decent runtime with no need for spare batteries if they are fresh before going on your trip.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
right, but iirc the pt fuel is only 5mm leds...that'd be like saying OP could use the rayovac for the whole trip on the red / green option.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
Its lightweight, but because battery life is short at two hours with little warning when it is dead, you will have to carry spare batteries
I just weighed an Energizer alkaline and an Eneloop AA battery - about 25g each. Two AA batteries and the lamp still come in under the original 96 gram limit... Replacing the (pretty well useless) blue LED with a decent white one would provide a nice low power option to conserve batteries, assuming tinkering is an option.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the one nice thing about the rayovac 1AA is I can change a spare AA in the dark with it easily, just a matter of unscrewing the cap and replacing one battery unlike 3AAA lights you have to fumble with carriers or have cells in different directions.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replacing the (pretty well useless) blue LED with a decent white one would provide a nice low power option to conserve batteries, assuming tinkering is an option.

This light is not easy to mod without destroying the casing

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
right, but iirc the pt fuel is only 5mm leds...that'd be like saying OP could use the rayovac for the whole trip on the red / green option.

They may be 5mm led but they throw a lot of light with much better runtime

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, check my posts and f22shift's. Key is a thin hobby saw, and pre-gluing a fine bead of hot glue to the case edge on re-assembly, then using a heat gun to activate it after it is together for final adhesion. It is brain surgery for sure, but I love mine with a Nichia DS in the blue position, and a Seoul in for the Lux. After you deal with the case cutting, the LED mods are as easy as any.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, check my posts and f22shift's. Key is a thin hobby saw, and pre-gluing a fine bead of hot glue to the case edge on re-assembly, then using a heat gun to activate it after it is together for final adhesion. It is brain surgery for sure, but I love mine with a Nichia DS in the blue position, and a Seoul in for the Lux. After you deal with the case cutting, the LED mods are as easy as any.
we're gonna need to see some pics of your mod and some beamshots of the seoul through your headlamp. :thumbsup:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the only difference in my mod (post #118) and f22shift's is that with the fine Zona saw and the post-assembly glue melt technique, it has a much neater parting line at the glue joint. Same Seoul beam, and the Nichia DS looks like any other medium-driven single Nichia DS equipped light, good for a 5mm, I used the CO tint, which is the warmest available.

Latest posts