Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

clyffepypard

Newly Enlightened
Heads-up for members in the UK.

This lantern is on sale at 7dayshop.com for only £16.99 delivered!
The best price I had previously seen in the UK was around £30.

It is sold as a "RING" brand on 7dayshop.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=106673

I've also seen it previously sold as a Silverpoint brand before now, and more recently as Varta too, which I believe is the European arm of Rayovac.

Interestingly, there is a version of this lantern on kaidomain.com, advertised as using cree Q2 leds, for $35.81.
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=9199

I had ordered one to check it out, but after two weeks of being told it was on back order, I gave up waiting, at which point I found it on 7dayshop.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may wish to post a link in the MP under the "Good Deals" section where more people can see it. :)

That is a *killer* deal for those who use that currency daily.

yalskey

Enlightened
Here's something relatively important that I'd like to add, once this lantern falls out of regulation it will run for darn near forever at useful reduced output. My daughter has one of mine next to her bed that she has been using as a nightlight all night every night for over 2 months now using 'dead' duracell D's I pulled out of the recycle bin at work. I pull them out every weekend and make sure none are at or near 0V resting to keep my lantern from being leaked in.

It just keeps going, but has been a bit dimmer lately. It might be time to look for some 'new' D's in the recycle bin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this lantern used 3 C-size batteries, not D-size. Maybe I'm thinking of something else and getting confused.

j3bnl

Enlightened
Last edited:

grandpanda

Newly Enlightened
Is the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 2-mode or 3-mode?

I picked up one for Lowes not long ago. After a camping trip, I suddenly realized my lantern only has 2-mode, high and low. I couldn't remember if it had a strobe mode when I first got it. Seems all the information on the web suggests it's a 3 mode lantern. Is mine a new version or malfunctioning?

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure mine is 3-mode. Hi, Low, and Beacon. Try holding down the button for a while... I think you'll get the Beacon mode.

wualta

Newly Enlightened
$25 this week at west Michigan Lowes. Just brought one home. This makes it slightly cheaper (ignoring gas money) than the current Amazon deal.

The light output on high is roughly equivalent to this slightly cheaper but well-made 48-bare-LED D-cell lantern from Deal Extreme...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16855

...but the ROV's smoothness is much the better, and of course there's the upside-down bare-bulb trick the ROV can pull off when you, uh, pull off the globe. Better color, too. Not to mention smaller.

j3bnl

Enlightened
I picked one of these up under the Silverpoint Daylight name.
Good solid design and well put together.
Very bright too.
Overall a good piece of kit to have IMHO.

fireballtp

Newly Enlightened
I you live near a Farm and Fleet in the midwest USA, these go for $23....

Under $20 when they are on sale..

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
The current draw on fully charged 10amp NIMH Tenergy batteries;
1.10a hi
0.44a low

Hi,

Question. If I were to use 3 x AA Eneloops with D-sleeves and assuming fully charged at around 2,000 Mah, does that mean that I can expect just under 2 hours on high and around 4 hours on low? Not too up to speed on "battery math".

Thanks!

Last edited:

AvPD

Enlightened
I wanted to improve the tint of mine and after 2 months got DealExtreme to send me an MC-E WG. I almost bought an XR-E 5A from Dereelight but for US$7 more I thought I could live with the cool white tint as it would theoretically be brighter and run cooler.
Having fitted it (tip: drill out the rivets) it does appear to be brighter, but knowing what an MC-E is capable of it's slightly disappointing to see it run only as bright as a regular LED. But if DX can supply one, why not.

I think a side-emitting LED would be best for this lamp, but they're not commonly available.

I run mine with three 2xAA-to-D-cell converters, haven't found anywhere that sells D-cells cheap and I have an ageing stockpile of alkaline AA's anyway.

fireballtp

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean the former Quality Farm and Fleet? That's now Tractor Supply Co. around here. Thanks for the tip.

Well around here it is called Blain's Farm and Fleet
Owned by Blain Supply, Inc.

So it is possible the company split at one time.

Here is a link to the lantern..

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=591837

Farm and Fleet tends to put Rayovac stuff on sale quite often, and at least a couple times a year they will sell the Rayovac Hybrid Nimhs for a little over $5 a pack