• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

RC40vn40 - 40,000 Lumen ;-)

ProCharger

Enlightened
EDIT...right now my only confusion is that in post #1 it says it can only handle one bank on at a time (which is 20K lumens), but in the video he says "There you have it 40K lumens!" That and everyone is calling it 40K lumens. What about post #1? Can't have both banks on at once??

The one bank at a time refers to Vinh's sphere being able to handle only 1 bank of LED's at once. Both banks lit max out the sphere so he had to measure each bank on it's own. :D

star_c_star

Enlightened
My RC40vn40 was awaiting me two days ago when I arrived home.

Playing around with 40,000 lumens indoors is not good for your eyes, as I quickly discovered. Also, when running full power, the base of the head becomes too hot to comfortably touch within 3 minutes or so. This is despite the large RC40 head, and the giant aluminum heat sink Vinh added to these lights. It does cool off very quickly, which is good.

The default mode (or the one Vinh had set) was 1% - 20% - 70% - 100% **100%. Even the 1%, with both banks on, can light up much of my back yard. I noticed some PWM at the 20% and 70% modes, even with one bank running, so emailed Vinh. He said the light is incredibly complicated, so PWM is not surprising, and it works better with a Mode having only 2 or 3 settings. As usual, he was right.

I chose Mode 7, 1% - 30% - 100% ** 100%, for both banks. Now, the PWM only occurs when both banks are at 30%, and is barely noticeable. This light is still useful at 1% (400 lumens!). It is around 6000 lumens with one bank at 30% (15% total) without getting hot. The batteries last a lot longer, too, than at 100%.

So in case other owners of this light notice PWM, they may wish to do what I did.

I still spend almost as much time looking at the face of this light as running it, since it is a work of art with 36 leds, and an etched aluminum slab with a nice pattern on it. I am getting a Pelican case for it, since the usual flimsy Fenix RC40 case is not high quality.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes email direct, the price has been mentioned on his video at $1500 so no worry there. No doubt it may be subject to change a little either way as it takes many vinh hours to build. Allow up to a couple of months, should be quicker but will be no disappointment if expecting in a week.

Its certainly a work of art and a piece of v54 history in the making............

TacticalEnigma

Newly Enlightened
My RC40vn40 was awaiting me two days ago when I arrived home.

Playing around with 40,000 lumens indoors is not good for your eyes, as I quickly discovered. Also, when running full power, the base of the head becomes too hot to comfortably touch within 3 minutes or so. This is despite the large RC40 head, and the giant aluminum heat sink Vinh added to these lights. It does cool off very quickly, which is good.

The default mode (or the one Vinh had set) was 1% - 20% - 70% - 100% **100%. Even the 1%, with both banks on, can light up much of my back yard. I noticed some PWM at the 20% and 70% modes, even with one bank running, so emailed Vinh. He said the light is incredibly complicated, so PWM is not surprising, and it works better with a Mode having only 2 or 3 settings. As usual, he was right.

I chose Mode 7, 1% - 30% - 100% ** 100%, for both banks. Now, the PWM only occurs when both banks are at 30%, and is barely noticeable. This light is still useful at 1% (400 lumens!). It is around 6000 lumens with one bank at 30% (15% total) without getting hot. The batteries last a lot longer, too, than at 100%.

So in case other owners of this light notice PWM, they may wish to do what I did.

I still spend almost as much time looking at the face of this light as running it, since it is a work of art with 36 leds, and an etched aluminum slab with a nice pattern on it. I am getting a Pelican case for it, since the usual flimsy Fenix RC40 case is not high quality.
May I ask what you paid for this

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one bank at a time refers to Vinh's sphere being able to handle only 1 bank of LED's at once. Both banks lit max out the sphere so he had to measure each bank on it's own. :D

Ok thanks, I just don't understand what is meant by his sphere, but sounds like it's some testing gizmo that does not factor into the final product.

...when running full power, the base of the head becomes too hot to comfortably touch within 3 minutes or so. This is despite the large RC40 head, and the giant aluminum heat sink Vinh added to these lights. It does cool off very quickly, which is good.

Ok so both banks can run for about 3 minutes, and recovery/cooling time is fast, that's very good!

ven

Flashaholic
Sphere for measuring lumens mr beast, basically much over 20k lumens overwhelms the sphere so vinh had to measure both banks separate. As there are 2 drivervn's in play, each driver works 1/2 the LED's. So one bank 20k, other 20k so around 40k total if makes sense.

Scroll down past the figures for a better picture on the sphere
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Lumen-Sphere-Readings-amp-throw-measurements!

matt304

Newly Enlightened
This is really interesting. There's another light which I read about not long ago, that also was very crazy like this RC40 is. It's a very similar design type as the Fenix but much smaller 95 or 100mm head with 12 full reflectors + XHP70s (it was either the XHP50 or 70). I think the body is actually custom as I have seen no host like it out there (I'm gonna go digging for that picture now). IIRC the light fully drives the XHPs up around 7-8 amps/emitter and thus makes around 45,000-48,000 lumen on a massive copper pill they had posted pics up of. I believe it ran on 32650 size cells instead of packs though.

I'm thinking the RC40VIN40 and that 12*XHP light would definitely go down right now as the most powerful flashlights or project flashlights I have ever seen to date (and I've been around the block a few :) ). Definitely subscribed to see more ahead.