Reccomendation on sub $50 focusable beam light.

Agent Iron

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this site is great.

I am looking for a small focusable beam light. I don't care if it is A, AA, AAA, or two battery configuration. I would like to stay under $50 and still have a quality beam. Is it possible? I was looking at a Fenix that seemed like a good option, but would love to hear from the experts.
Thanks
AI

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E20: $35, 2xAA, about 80 real lumens, focusable, great quality and has a Hard Anodized III body.

I personally EDC my Fenix LD01 is a single AAA, but is non focusable but throws quite a bit for a tiny 1xAAA flashlight. About 60 real lumen output, $42

Rexlion

Enlightened
I haven't owned the E20, but I think I read that it doesn't focus down as far as some other lights.

If you want one that will focus to the point where you see a crisp square LED die image on the wall, check out the Romisen RC-29 II (AA) or RC-C6 II (CR123, either one about $20 at shiningbeam.com). Romisens are decent quality, and at that price they're hard to beat. The head on this model screws, oh I forget, 2 or 3 full turns to go from flood to zoom... I had to lube the head on my unit quite a bit because it was really tight.

Coast LED Lenser models are pretty nice, but not considered to be up to Fenix quality (Coast lights aren't waterproof, for example). I have a H7 headlamp, which I think is similar in output to their P7 flashlight, and it's my favorite headlamp. The light focuses very quickly and goes to a pretty tight spot. Pretty sure the P7s are under $50... the H7 is about $45 and even has a brightness control, works great.

On the really low end you can find some lights on DX and similar overseas sites for about $10-15. Search DX for C30 or X-Zoom. Most have a head that slides forward & back for quick flood-to-zoom control. Quality is in the 'you get what you pay for' arena with these, but hey, $10, they're fun.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with a Romisen C6 from Shiningbeam (warm tint); for walking home in the dark its full flood circle fills the sidewalk/crosswalk/street, and is still plenty bright to wake drivers up on a rainy night. The focused (square image of the emitter) beam is very bright.

Agent Iron

Newly Enlightened
Boy, I sure appreciate the suggestions fellas. Romisen does seem to have some appealing options. They seem the best bang for the buck. I am looking forward to any more responses. Thanks again.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

for sub-$50, that's pretty much it man, my 4xAA LED Lenser P14 is about double that figure but i like that light, feels hefty in the hand and the 3 levels of output are great too.

arodaz

Newly Enlightened
just got my Romisen RC-29 II (AA) today,,,,when using it in full flood it is very impressive..just a rough,, totally non scientific idea as to floodbeam spread ,,2 ft distance--2 ft wide,,20 ft distance --20 ft wide,,and so on,,nice and clean and bright,,when in full focus seeing the square emitter outline kinda bugs me but it does reach out effectively,,excellent floody light for the price :twothumbs

Agent Iron

Newly Enlightened
Is the RC-29 II similar in performance to the RC-29 Q5? I think the Q5 is focusable and 120 lumens? I like Going Gear alot, and can not find the II version there?

arodaz

Newly Enlightened
----------from the site----------

* This is the customized version of the RC-29, which uses a brighter WC tint Cree XR-E Q5 LED
* Using the latest driver and it is 30% brighter than the regular model

* Tactical momentary-on forward switch
* Water resistant design
* Aluminum alloy casing
* Using a convex lens which enable the output beam from flood to throw
* Compatible 1x AA Alkaline or 1 x AA NIMH
* ShiningBeam.com is the only store carries this model of light

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both the E20 and the rc-29, although my rc-29 is the lesser version from kaidomain. They are both great, although I think if you are looking for something that is more versatile go with the the E20, but if you want something that will be a little bright and give you a great flood and great throw but not much in between go with the romisen. Basically, the romisen is an extremes kind of light where it can throw an ugly beam very very far or have a really beautiful smooth flood. The E20 on the other hand doesnt have as nice a flood or throw but can do both well and everything in between very well also. The Rc-29 is a bit brighter and has less run time as a consequence. On rechargeables it gets an hour out of one battery while the Fenix gets 2 hours and 40 minutes off of 2 batteries, so 20 minutes more per battery.

Both are great lights so you will be happy no matter what.
One last consideration I can think of. The fenix E20 can't tailstand while the rc-29 can.
Oh and the head on the E20 is a bit harder to turn but its not a big deal at all.
Both are very well made.

I don't have the romisen rc-c6, but I think the shiningbeam version has 2 modes which sounds neat. Shiningbeam also offers warmer tint versions of these lights.

I've heard this light from dealextreme is pretty decent too, but probably not as good as the romisens:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29095

there is also the mg pli mc-e for 60 bucks and I think that has a focusable head, although you should contact the seller, the new version might not anymore:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/**NEW**-MG-PLI-Cree/Detail

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
The newer PLI heads are supposed to be glued in place, no adjustment (unless you whack the head on something a few times to loosen the glue... :huh: ). Even on the early PLIs (I have one) the head does not do all that much. I get way more beam adjustment out of my C Maglite modded with P7 emitter and 18650... now there's a great, incredibly bright light, but I didn't mention it before because it would cost $100+ to buy one.