Rechargable 123 recommendation?

srfreddy

Enlightened
Rechargeable batteries should work fine, depending on the light. What lights are we actually talking about here?
For my Surefire A2 Aviator I use 2 x 16340 LiFePO4 cells which overdrive the LEDs by MUCH less than the LiCo or LiMn cells would.

They're already being overdriven....

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're already being overdriven....

Exactly, that is why I am reluctant to hit them with 8.4V from 2 freshly charged LiCo cells. 2 x LiFePO4 cells only have 7.2V fresh off the charger and quickly settle down to a resting voltage of ~6.7V, once in the light and running the LEDs the voltage is probably down to 6.2V-6.4V which is higher than from 2 x cr123a cells, but not as high as 2 x LiCo cells.

I should probably look at changing the LEDs to an Onion ring and then there would be no overdriving going on . . .

srfreddy

Enlightened
By the way, some guy Just put some warm LED rings on the marketplace, that run 20ma on CR123, 46ish on 2 RCR.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primaries are fine when we are in / can get them. The reason I am looking at rechargables is because much of the time we DON'T get resupplied on a regular basis.

I understand your situation, and if all you have available is CR123A equipment, that does compound the problem. In a serious situation (eg. where the "problem" may be shooting back) however, personally, I'd much prefer the use of primary lithium cells. There are just too many things that can (and do) go wrong with Li-Ions. As I said before, the use of Li-Ion cells in lights is still, for the most part, in the experimental stage.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Dave