Rechargable Li-Ion Flashlight allowed on person on Airplane Flight?

bnemmie

Enlightened
Last week I flew from Boston to Chicago with a Streamlight PT 1AA in my pocket. The only issue I had is then the agent took it out of the plastic bowl where I put all my change, sunglasses and watch in. She picked it up and asked me "What's this for?". I couldn't help myself when I said "So I can see in the dark." She gave me a dirty look, fumbled with it for a moment, clicked the tailcap, and strobe-ed herself in the face. I couldn't stop laughing as she dropped it back in the bowl (still on) and turned back to telling an old woman to get out of her wheel chair so she could be body scanned. I noticed the agent kept blinking alot after that......

hotlight

Enlightened
Last time I flew was June 2011.
never had an issue with lights, or with batteries. (had 2 RCR123 lights, and 3 18650 lights.....loaded + 2 18650 spares and x4 RCR123 spares)

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to hand carry spare batteries and electronic devices. (if there was a fire/issue, it's better to have it in the cabin where people can react to it vs. in the cargo area of the plane)

You may have an issue with TSA if you're light is over 7" long. Crenellated bezels might be an issue.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think surefire's name is enough to allow you to do so :p
Anyway, flashlight is allowed on plane, since they wont look inside whether its AA/AAA or 18650s
they will just think: its another flashlight, why ppl like to EDC em
As soon as it have a plain bezel ring(not CB) and compact

And, its better NOT to carry spare battery, ive heard that some law forbids it
"Lithium cells which are NOT inside where it is powering is forbidden in cabin baggage"
Theres also a limit for carry-on baggage

Last edited:

EASTWOOD

Newly Enlightened
I am definitely not inconspicious in-general. I've been told I look like the kind of person that wants to eat you alive. But-I am also an actor or chameleon. Have been for years so I can blend in with any group from extremely wealthy to the intellects to the ditch diggers and rednecks or street people. One learns that from years of traveling and moving around. ;) So I can go from looking like I want to kill you to looking like a harmless simpleton who is crippled up and it sets the security peope at ease.
You, my friend, are Keyser Soze.

tadbik

Enlightened
Just don't pack cheddar cheese in your luggage and you'll be ok!! I understand it looks like C4 explosives on the X-ray!

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been on a flight since 9/11/2001 and can only imagine the hysteria. But I'm curious about the matches, tinder, and magnesium Satanta referenced - is TSA okay with these items? I know this is off topic but I'm curious.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matches is definitely not allowed in carry-on, they contain Perchlorate(oxidizer)
For cabin baggage, if the box is small enough that the customs dont see it, you may get a chance to suceed

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ions need to be in the cabin (on your person or in carry-on baggage) - not allowed in baggage area. If you check baggage "planeside" (on small regional jets where overhead bins are small) they ask you to take Li-ions out of your luggage. I fly almost weekly and at least every two weeks.

For the last several weeks I have carried; Mac's Tri-EDC with 4 extra 18350s, Surefire 6x (whatever the new one is, I bought the 9/11 commemorative one) and a modified L1 that runs on an AA. In Green Bay 2 weeks ago they did chack out Mac's Tri-EDC at security, they were very impressed.

I unscrew all the lights so they do not come on accidently. I also carry all batteries in cases. I'm planning on posting later this weekend the 2x18650 case that works GREAT for 18350s - put them in sideways compared to 18650s.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I messed up with cabin baggage, carry-on, and the 1 that stays in the tummy of the plane
whatever, li-ion can only be allowed when they stick with you (in passenger section on the plane)

Darvis

Enlightened
Just spent last week going from ATL to San Fran and back, through Arizona, etc. Had An L1 with a 16340, several spares, spare primaries and 2 E1Ls as backups. I also had my Yeasu VX-3r Handlheld, various usb chargers and primary and NIMH AA batts. A preon ReVo on my keychain as well.

Not even a second glance at the checkpoint... the lights came in handy during the red eye back when all light were out in the cabin. One girl was so happy when I helped her find her glasses in her purse with the E1L on low and the F04 on.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Despite the screeners having been federalized, every airport is run differently, so you never know. Even airports that are close together can be very different.

I always opt-out of the millimeter scanner, and then you can really tell how well the crew is trained and managed. I flew through San Juan, Miami, and Orlando last week. In San Juan the hands-on inspection was very professional. In Miami it was just okay, and Orlando was very unprofessional. So it's really the luck of the draw.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
You, my friend, are Keyser Soze.

I always leabed more towards Tyler Durdin. ;)

I haven't been on a flight since 9/11/2001 and can only imagine the hysteria. But I'm curious about the matches, tinder, and magnesium Satanta referenced - is TSA okay with these items? I know this is off topic but I'm curious.

I never gave it much thought as to whether it was "ok" or not. It's part if my standard photo vest load which also includes red chili powder a styptic pencil and some swabs and bandages. I also carry foil, a wire saw as well as line and fishhooks and suture needles among thing.

I always figure since I check in with the TSA that I am already 'marked' as safe. I show and log my handguns, spare mags and Krink so why in the heck would I bother being stupid ON the plane?

But it still goes back to "Yeah you are likely gonna be fine traveling with an EDC light, no guarantees implied." ;)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never carry either a lithium primary or a rechargeable lithium on an airplane with hundreds of innocent passangers. Of course the risk is very very small that the battery would malfunction 30,000 ft in the air, but it's still a risk I wouldn't be willing to take, and I'm sure the other passangers would appericate knowing it.

The last time I flew I had my cellphone & camera and a light with a 14500 in it. Nothing exploded and I doubt that a failure would actually put others lives at risk. But pretty much every other passenger had at least one Li-ion battery with them as well.

Time traveler? I wish. I'd go back to the 80's and invest in Microsnot-heavilly then invest in Google and Yahoo among other things tho knowing my luck I'd step on a butterfly. :D

I'd go back a year or so and turn $11 into ~$25M (NZ Dollars) with a well selected lotto ticket. The less distance into the past you go the less risk of altering too much.

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
I always figure since I check in with the TSA that I am already 'marked' as safe. I show and log my handguns, spare mags and Krink so why in the heck would I bother being stupid ON the plane?

I'm not following you. I regularly check a handgun so I've checked in with TSA before I go through security, but when I go through security with my carry on they just check my DL to see that the name matches my boarding pass. They're not connected enough to go "Oh yeah, this is the guy that just checked his guns in down the hall." So, how are you thinking that you're "marked" as safe?

To answer the OP, I've never had a light (even with crenelated bezel) or spare primaries questioned.

archer6817j

Enlightened
If I wasn't on my phone I'd look up the actual FAA regulation. Basically it states that lithium ion batteries must be carried inside the passenger cabin and may not be in your checked baggage. Of course this is fine, because (as was pointed out) nearly every modern electronic device is powered by lithium batteries.

The FAA reg does not elaborate, but word on the street is that batteries are restricted to your carry on because any "incident" can be detected more quickly (I smell smoke) and dealt with immediately; in your bag vs. Trapped in the cargo area.

If this is still an active topic all try and look up the reg on Monday :)

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Good info thx guys. I'm flying to Managua Nicaragua this Friday and was wondering about this!

Latest posts