Rechargeable AA battery shoot out

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Davide,

testing LSD batteries on a 30 days period is not going to show their LSD performance.
Good eneloops that I have have lost 25% charge in 3 years time while at 20 C. The first 5% is lost in the first 30 days; this is due to the decay of nickel superoxides which form during the charge (more the -dV, more they form).
True LSD performance requires a testing over a period of 6 months, at least.

Regards

Antonio

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
Davide,

testing LSD batteries on a 30 days period is not going to show their LSD performance.
Good eneloops that I have have lost 25% charge in 3 years time while at 20 C. The first 5% is lost in the first 30 days; this is due to the decay of nickel superoxides which form during the charge (more the -dV, more they form).
True LSD performance requires a testing over a period of 6 months, at least.

Regards

Antonio

if you recharge a battery every 3 years... you don't need rechargeables ;):D

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typical use in my mind is a use that more closely reflects the load placed on batteries in devices like flashlights, radios, headlights, and other relatively high-current, intermittent use devices. That along with more typical charging regimens like 1A or 2A and then sitting for a day or a week before use. It doesn't have to be spot on, just MORE close than a 0.2C discharge within an hour of a 16-hour dumb charge.

Radios are low-medium drain.
David is doing constant run, not intermittent testing. Most people use flashlights intermittently.
Most AA powered flashlights do NOT pull 2A or 4A.
Most people do not use 1A and 2A chargers, rather 'most' people are using .2-.8Ah chargers.

Perhaps your point is that not everybody uses their batteries in the same way? If that's the case, no testing regimen is more accurate than any other. All you can do is find one that more closely resembles your pattern of usage. I suppose if you only use dumb chargers for a 16-hour charge and run a TK40 with 32 AA batteries to keep the discharge down to 0.2C the industry standard ratings will give you the information. My point is that if everyone only tests batteries in one regimen we'll never really have a good idea how they'll function in our various devices, and it's ok to say battery X sucks because it's rated as Y mAh, but only delivers Z mAh at 3A.

Standards are made accurate or relevant by general application/use.

It is NOT OK to say, "battery X sucks because it's rated as Y mAh, but only delivers Z mAh at 3A," this is exactly what is problematic.

I don't have a problem with David making up his own methodology like Tom/Silverfox has already done but the issue that I have raised repeatedly was his using his OWN standard to declare batteries real/fake based upon his own (frankly flawed) methodology and results.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you recharge a battery every 3 years... you don't need rechargeables ;):D

I have some small batches of different batteries, of different chemistries, which I keep under observation for a long term battery study I'm conducting. The eneloops I mentioned are part of that study; I don't use them in my equipment and/or flashlights.

Anthony

Last edited:

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
Most AA powered flashlights do NOT pull 2A or 4A.
Most people do not use 1A and 2A chargers, rather 'most' people are using .2-.8Ah chargers

i have 3 cells charged at 200mA with timer

btw this is a comparative test, one cell is best of another, i don't say that is best of all

i can have also some damaged cells, for example all my powerex 2700 are totally discahrged in less of 30 days, i can't belive that all the powerex 2700 in the world have a so high self discharge