Rechargeable AA battery shoot out

Egsise

Banned
Re: Ultimate AA battery shoot out

Any chance of getting comparisons of the positive and negative ends?

something like this:

ROVHybrid.jpg

SonyCycleEnergyBlueJapan.jpg

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened

they appear to be the standard non-loop version of Nimh batteries.

spencer

Enlightened

But I mean the tops of the LSD Duracell batteries. They sell two different kinds of battery and there is no way to tell the difference except that the tops are a different colour and one is made in Japan and the other is made in China.

Egsise

Banned

sure, but for all or some brand? cause for all togeter will be difficult to caught the details, i can do a macro on a specific brand
Well, all, because that is the only way to make sure what cells you are testing, differences in positive and negative ends.

Egsise

Banned

Nice but what i meant was something like this to check if some cells are the same, just sold with different brand.

here's a good comparison pic of the eneloop, RoV Hybrid and Kodak Pre-Charged that's been around for a while - from NLee the Engineer on Amazon

eneloop_RoV_Kodak.jpg

and I just found another by him that may help us with a hint on the Duracell Pre-Charged made in China black tops -

LSD_AA.jpg

see those 4 vent holes in the black top surround? they look similar to Kodak Pre-Charged and GP ReCyko -

GPrecyko_DXs.jpg

The Wikipedia entry on Low self-discharge NiMH battery currently says:

" actually manufactured by five companies: Sanyo, Gold Peak, Yuasa, Vapex and Uniross.[2][6] "

So maybe there are 5 types?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

David,

Since there is an accepted industry and engineering standard, the IEC standard, why not use that STANDARD to do your testing if you want it to be the 'ultimate' shoot out?

You seem to have arbitrarily picked charge and discharge currents and you're not following the standard, from what I can see, with break in cycles and resting.

LeifUK

Enlightened

Can you explain what the figures mean?

For example, for the Duracell Precharged (China), the first four green columns display data for the first of four cells tested. The top left corner is as follows:

D. 1A [start-1.1V-0.8V-average] 1.30 1160 1290 1.18
C. 200mA [start-peak-mAh] 1.255 1.476 2550 ----

Okay, I am starting to understand most of it. They key is at the left (doh!). It looks like the second row is the start and peak Voltage followed by the mAh. The first row is the start voltage, unknown, unknown, and the average voltage.

It looks very interesting and potentially useful.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

David,

Since there is an accepted industry and engineering standard, the IEC standard, why not use that STANDARD to do your testing if you want it to be the 'ultimate' shoot out?

You seem to have arbitrarily picked charge and discharge currents and you're not following the standard, from what I can see, with break in cycles and resting.

cause i prefer to use more heavy tests, that can help more who do a heavy use of batteries, like us of CPF that load batts at 4-5A, use several batts in series, use fast chargers etc. my test will se also how batts will degrade with different uses, like charge at 5A instead of 1.5A, overdischarge vs. partial discharge, discharge at 4A instead of 1A or 400mA

Can you explain what the figures mean?

For example, for the Duracell Precharged (China), the first four green columns display data for the first of four cells tested. The top left corner is as follows:

D. 1A [start-1.1V-0.8V-average] 1.30 1160 1290 1.18
C. 200mA [start-peak-mAh] 1.255 1.476 2550 ----

Okay, I am starting to understand most of it. They key is at the left (doh!). It looks like the second row is the start and peak Voltage followed by the mAh. The first row is the start voltage, unknown, unknown, and the average voltage.

It looks very interesting and potentially useful.

yeah i need to do some FAQ, there are a huge quantity of datas that i try to concentrate in a little spreadsheet

D. 24h 1A [start-1.1V-0.8V-average]

this mean: Discharge after 24 hours from the charge at 1 ampere, starting voltage without load, mAh erogated by the batteries until it reach 1.1V and 0.8V with load, average voltage during discharge with load

C. routine [start-peak-mAh-dT]

this mean: Charge with method described where you see "routine charge" under the battery description, starting voltage without load, peak voltage reached during charge with load, mAh erogated by the charger until the end, difference in temperature from the start to the end of the charge in celsius degrees

the voltage readings with load are made directly from the batt for avoid to calculate the resistance of the wires that take some mV

charges up to 1.5A and all discharges are made without fan, while charges at 5A are made with a fan at very low speed, just for mode a little the air that is closed in the charger

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

first comments after few charges:

ansmann 2850: arrived discharged, aren't real 2850 but around 2400-2500 at 1A of load, they can't handle 4A of load with decent voltage drop

ansmann max-e: arrived charged around 77% of capacity, are real 2000mAh and take quite well 4A of discharge

delkin ready to use: arrived at 25% of capacity, are only in the 1400-1500 range of capacity, 3 of 4 handle quite well 4A of discharge while one suffer much more