Recommend inexpensive NVGs for work

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for some inexpensive NVGs to use at work. I realize that a budget of 100-200 bucks pretty much limits me to Gen 1 right?
Actually I would prefer a thermal device much more but I know those start in the thousands of dollars. Thermal would be much better for trying to find people hiding in bushes.

I have seen a coworkers Gen 1 but it was magnified and didn't seem very good at all.
My basic needs are to be able to walk around dark places at night without using my flashlight to be seen. I don't need super amounts of detail just enough to sneak up on bad guys. So see people shapes, items I might trip on, etc.
I also would like it if I can drive a car at very slow speeds as I sometimes need to drive up on people/places where I don't want my headlights giving me away.
All the ones I have looked at seem to be magnified which makes it difficult to walk around as they only seem good for things farther away. I want a unit that is unmagnified.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Thankyou

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't suggest something to buy. I can tell you that even if you find something in your budget, you'll still need to spend a little practice time before you drive or walk with them if you want to be sneaky. Depth perception will go right out the window. You won't trip over the log in your way because you don't see it; you'll trip when you misjudge the distance to it. Some time walking around in the dark (without lights :O ) will help. Secret is lifting your feet higher, moving them out, then straight down deliberately before you put weight on it. Good luck in your search.

MaNCuBuS

Newly Enlightened
The only thing in that price range is digital night vision..which isn't really night vision, plus the IR light maybe seen at certain angles. Google "digital night vision"... Retail may be 3 to 4 hundred...out of ur budget, but u may find stuff on eBay. Gen 1 NV is terrible... Not worth a penny IMO.. Especially if you run into street lights in an urban setting...plus like the above post your depth perception with any NV will be bad.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
The only thing in that price range is digital night vision..which isn't really night vision, plus the IR light maybe seen at certain angles. Google "digital night vision"... Retail may be 3 to 4 hundred...out of ur budget, but u may find stuff on eBay. Gen 1 NV is terrible... Not worth a penny IMO.. Especially if you run into street lights in an urban setting...plus like the above post your depth perception with any NV will be bad.

So the digital NV is better than Gen 1 and I shouldn't even bother with Gen 1 huh?
Digital would be the type that is on some of the video cameras right? THat use infrared leds to help you see more?

Is Gen 2 worth much? I have looked through a Gen 3, amazing thing but I don't want to spend $1500+

But like I said Ideally I would love a FLIR type device most of all. Not so good at walking in the dark perhaps but very useful on chases of bad guys.

firelord777

Enlightened
Digital is better than 1 gen, but that's based on me having no experience with digital night vision and with a camcorder that uses "night shot", which seems to work on the same principle as gen 1.

With my camera, the night shot has a range of around 10 yards, after that, nothing. However, it has an 3 options. First, is the usual fps, then option 2 has a lower fps, but you can actually see everything, though nothing like a 3 gen. Option 3 though, has a super slow fps, I think around like 1-3 frames per second, so it's useless if you're constantly moving. But if used right, everything seems so clear and bright, the sky seems over exposed and bright, and I can actually zoom into far away things and see them perfectly! I can almost guarantee you that it feels like 3 gen technology, except with an impractical frame rate LOL.

Anyways, just wanted to say this,
Cheers

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just get a FLIR IR camera if you want to spot bad guys. You see their heat, and its very sensitive. Even in camo, their heat gives them away.

It does takes some training/practice to be able to interpret what you are seeing though...but, as soon as you are up to speed, you can see where their feet warmed the pavement, where they touched a wall rounding a corner, and if a barrel is hot, etc.

:D