Recommend me a mulit-tool

Dantor

Enlightened
Yes, the Swisstool and the Spirit are two different MTs from Victorinox.

The Swisstool (several variations of it) is a tank, big but lots of goodness inside.

The Spirit is smaller, around the Kick size only way better (better ergonomics, finish, tools, warranty, goes on).
Spirit S has two blades, PE and Serrated and no scissors.

IcantC

Enlightened
Just to update, thanks a lot for the help and feedback. I enjoy it anytime I get to use it. I try to find excuses to use it :D.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW The combination of a leatherman micra clipped to my keychain and a Skeletool CX carried IWB have proven to cover my needs well. Very happy with them.

CootShooter

Newly Enlightened
I am a HUGE fan of the Leatherman multitools. I will own and carry a WAVE for the rest of my life.

My first multitool from like 10 years ago was a Gerber. I liked the one hand pliers operation, but the tools were lacking.
My second was a SwissTool... great multi tool but way too big.

Then I got a WAVE and absolutely fell in love with it. The best part of the wave is the fact that you can get to the most functional tool(s) on the unit (the knives) with only one hand... without having to open the tool to get to the "guts" like the other multitools.
I lost my first one in a lake while duck hunting many years ago, my next couple were either misplaced or stolen, then I got a Charge Ti (which was definitely stolen). The Charge was really nice as well, but again too big. I ended up getting another WAVE and I like the new model very much. I carry it with me ALWAYS (either on my person or in my laptop bag, blind bag, vehicle, etc).

Go with a Leatherman WAVE... I promise you will love the functionality of it.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
+1

I bought my first Leatherman in 1988 and it was in pretty beat up, but still usable when I gave it away after getting a Super for Christmas.

After carrying that one for about 5 years I finally got the Wave I'd been looking at ever since they came out and every time I look at one of the new models I find myself still holding onto the Wave.

lightinsky

Enlightened
3 words. SOG Powerlock EOD. I have had the gerbers, have a vic x tool, had the leathermans. I have compared all of them to see which has the best saw, plyers strength and overall power. I have found none of them came close to the SOG compound leverage plyer system. It is truly amazing. Go SOG and don't look back. I did. IMO

Last edited:

kendallAA

Newly Enlightened
I still carry the original wave. I have for 5 or 6 years now. I hate being without it. My wife thinks I look stupid carrying it on my belt, but she is never afraid to ask for it if she ever needs it. I have been thinking about getting a new wave or a skeletool but I'm not sure which I want. My old wave is still getting the job done, so i have plenty of time to decide.

Brian

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
3 words. SOG Powerlock EOD. I have had the gerbers, have a vic x tool, had the leathermans. I have compared all of them to see which has the best saw, plyers strength and overall power. I have found none of them came close to the SOG compound leverage plyer system. It is truly amazing. Go SOG and don't look back. I did. IMO
Is there any specific reasons you liked the Powerlock EOD over their other models? :popcorn:

lightinsky

Enlightened
Is there any specific reasons you liked the Powerlock EOD over their other models? :popcorn:
The first reason is that the sog pliers are far more superior when I did a crimp and cut test with hardly any pressure to use compared to the other multi tools.

The second reason is that the saws teeth are much better and cut quicker than the others when I did a test.

Finally the EOD feature is pretty awesome. The othe tools are great but my hat goes off to the SOG. Just my thoughts of course.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
After considering a Leatherman Wave, a Charge, and SOG POwerlock, I got a Swisstool X. The quality is by far the best of them all. The locking mechanism for each tool is perfect, and even though it doesn't have one-hand opening blades, I decided a multitool is not a replacement for a single-purpose knife. If I want a knife, I'll get a fixed blade rather than a folder.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased a Vic spirit after a sale at Amazon. The fit and finish is superb. Will add it to my collection. Definitely a keeper.

Kitfisto

Banned
+1 on the Swisstool. After busting up two Gerbers and Leathermans, I went with a Swisstool...10 years and still going. I use a Kershaw as backup and for the vice-grip.

_STL_15_

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Leatherman Charge and it has never failed me. Also I carried a Gerber multi for years and never had a problem.

Hlorrithi

Newly Enlightened
All of the Charge range seem to be lovely pieces of kit.
I was just cleaning and oiling mine (Xti and Alx), and marvelling at how much thought has gone into it.

I have a Gerber suspension too, but it's not in the same league.....it cost less than half, but the blades are too short, especially the saw, to get any cutting stroke, and the pliers have alot of play in comparison.
I do like the sprung open pliers and the anti clumping system on it better than Leatherman though.... and for wet tasks the open frame construction lets it dry out quicker too.