Recommendations for EDC purse carry for wife

anedae

Newly Enlightened
For all questions please select all that apply.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $50.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Wrist/Neck Lanyard
Crenulated bezel

I'm looking for a light for my wife to carry inside her purse that would be used as a general purpose light, but have the options of a self defense light. Easily selectable strobe is greatly desired, high output, multiple levels of output for more general purpose, battery isn't terribly important - I'll keep track of her batteries so li-ion is fine. Higher runtimes would still be nice though. Only thing I would be picky about is I don't want it getting too hot after just a few minutes of running.

I've been looking at the Niteye MSC series lights for the selectable strobe, decent output, programmable levels. I've been looking at so many lights for myself though that being unbiased toward what *I* want is ... hard. lol. I'm looking for more recommendations. I have a Thrunite TN10 which she likes, but I might want something smaller for her - I'm undecided if throw or flood is going to be better for her. A good balance, with maybe more flood might work best?

Thanks for the help guys

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anything like mine, likes lights, but have to be interesting as well. I'd suggest the L3 Illumination L10 in whatever her color is. Between choice of a 3 or 4 mode, 4 mode has firefly .09 lumen, otherwise they are the same.

anedae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, but not quite what I'm looking for. I specified a few things after the questions and neither of those met them. Any other suggestions?

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Despite your pages of 'requirements', I recommended the Arc AAA because my fiancée carries one in her purse and loves it. I think it is the best super small and easy to use light out there. I've thought about getting a bigger more 'serious' light for my fiancée but I haven't found one yet that I think she would like, use and appreciate. I mostly ignored your list because many of your 'requirements' are mutually exclusive.

This meets some but definitely not all that you listed.. Niteye MSC10 1 x CR123 CREE XM-L U2 LED 260 Lumen Flashlight

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Samy

Enlightened
My wife really likes the 4Sevens 1xAA tactical i bought her. She leaves it in it's little holster in her handbag.

cheers

Bumble

Enlightened
please bear in mind my wife likes this and not me ! lol... led lenser p3 afs ... aaa... 25 lumens but my wife like "the zoom thingy" as she called it :)... its one mode with a tailcap clicky

EDIT ! oops no strobe on led lenser !!! so an olight s10 baton?.. probably wife wont be a "tint-snob" ? they are normally quite green, more so on lower levels... excellent regulated runtimes on cr123 AND RCR123..it basically operates the same on rcr as cr123 bar its a little brighter on high with fresh off the charger li-ion...also has easily accessable strobe. when light is off ,3 rapid button pushes = strobe.... with light on, 2 rapid pushes of button = strobe

heat in this light is very good too even on high... not very hot at all :) high is 300+ lumens from xml

good floody light with large hot-spot, and petite in size. Dimensions: 70.5mm (2.7") length by 23mm (0.9") depth
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more! a review :)

Last edited:

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Since I got my wife (& me too) a Fenix LD12 (1xAA) not long ago, I notice she uses it more than her previous AAA mag light - uses it more and doesn't go for something else as much. Saw her spying the chow through the oven glass earlier today with LD12. On sale it was under $50, uses 1 AA. Goes from 3 to 115 lumens, strobe/sos.
Not a bad little light - I edc one myself but I'm having thoughts of going to 1x123A just because I dunno.:duh2:

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might take a look at the nitecore MTC1
Its not too big for purse carry. The UI may not be perfect as your honey would have to be sure to set its mode to strobe each time she puts it back into her purse.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
olight s10. with rcr its insanely bright for such a small light.

I've been looking at a purse light for my gf as well, and was looking at this light. It seems to have a very easily accessible strobe mode too- just double clicking the power button.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Wife edc a LD12 but have a Olight i1 SS on the way now to try.
Maybe next order I'll add/try a couple AAA lights.

itsjusttim

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at a purse light for my gf as well, and was looking at this light. It seems to have a very easily accessible strobe mode too- just double clicking the power button.
its a fantastic edc light... floody light, very high high 500+ lumens, .3 lumen low, and as you said double click to strobe.

summer

Newly Enlightened
its a fantastic edc light... floody light, very high high 500+ lumens, .3 lumen low, and as you said double click to strobe.

+1. currently my favorite EDC light that uses cr123. cute yet powerful little light.

dss_777

Enlightened
Whatever you get her, please do us all a favor and report back on how it goes. :thumbsup:

anedae

Newly Enlightened
Well, based on a couple recommendations here for the klarus xt1a, my wife and I started looking at them... Together, we decided that the xt2c was the light for her. We just got it from going gear this afternoon and when she tried it out in the dark tonight, she's decided she loves it.

Makes me happy, cause I didn't think she would be so excited by it, and it impressed even me. I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is.

Bumble

Enlightened
Well, based on a couple recommendations here for the klarus xt1a, my wife and I started looking at them... Together, we decided that the xt2c was the light for her. We just got it from going gear this afternoon and when she tried it out in the dark tonight, she's decided she loves it.

Makes me happy, cause I didn't think she would be so excited by it, and it impressed even me. I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is.

i wish my wife would get excited about a flashlight ... when i get a new light she just looks at it and thats it... would be nice if she did so we could enjoy them together, but hey shes not a flashaholic :).

im glad you and your wife are happy with your new purchase :)

Last edited: