Recycling Batteries - FYI

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been throwing away used batts, all types, since I found it hard to find a place that takes these for recycling where I live (Houston Tx - yes, yes the city "may" take these but I found it impossible to find information online ... ).

Today, I found out that Battery Plus stores:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-faq2.aspx#48

They take all types of batteries for recycling. Including old laptop batteries, alkys, primary lithium, NiCad, NiMH, Zinc-Air, Lead-Acid, etc.

Great place to find flashlights and batteries too. The store I went to sells UltraFire branded lights, 18650 and RCR123 rechargeable batteries and chargers plus various assorted lights and batteries from other manufacturers.

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Enlightened
The Asda (Uk's Walmart) across from my work recycles all battery chemistries. They have a tube you just drop them into that just goes into a large plastic container.

I'm a bit concerned what would happen if you dropped a couple of not quite discharged CR123a's into it and they shorted :poof:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit concerned what would happen if you dropped a couple of not quite discharged CR123a's into it and they shorted :poof:

The recylcing boxes at Battery Plus do indicate:

"Wrap batteries in plastic bag before dropping into box."

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote we all put in our local area's recycling information on this thread.

Then I vote to make this thread sticky, you agree?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote we all put in our local area's recycling information on this thread.

Then I vote to make this thread sticky, you agree?

+1 on both counts, I like the idea of responsible stewardship for our hobby!

You can bring all types of batteries for recycling to the IKEA (will also take CFL bulbs) and Home Depot stores here in Bergen County, NJ.

EDIT 1/16/10: Stopped by IKEA today and saw a sign that they are no longer accepting batteries due to some regulatory changes to the laws on the transporation of them. They still accept Paper, CFL and plastic bags.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
In our country every store that sells batteries also has to take them back for recycling. Usually its just a plastic container at the checkout where you can put them in.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In our country every store that sells batteries also has to take them back for recycling. Usually its just a plastic container at the checkout where you can put them in.

Which country?

ackbar

Enlightened
I used to drop off used cells at Radio Shack (now the source by CC here in canada.)

I haven't done it in a while tho, so YMMV.

Jackson

Newly Enlightened
Several years back I took some batteries to Radio Shack. They kept the lithium ion cells and dumped the alkalines in the trash.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened

You may want to update your profile to show where your "location" is. I think a requirement of that type for retailers might be quite effective in assisting those consumers who want help in the recycling efforts. What country are you from?

I just noticed that my local Sear's store had a plastic recycling box in their tool department. I guess it started with all those cordless hand tool batteries, but signage declared they also accepted ni-cad batteries of all types and also cell phones.

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
In the UK, local government (aka the council) gives every household a recycling box to put out for weekly collection along with their regular non recyclable bin. It varies slightly exactly what you can put in it from area to area but I think most take all types of batteries along with paper, drinks cans, glass, etc.

Niconical

Enlightened

Same here, or maybe it's the same country.....?

Every place that sells batts has large plastic tubs to deposit used ones.
Normally right by the door for easy access.

Even my small local grocery store, I'll take a pic later :)

Niconical

Enlightened
Every place that sells batts has large plastic tubs to deposit used ones. Normally right by the door for easy access.

Even my small local grocery store, I'll take a pic later :)

Batteryrecyclebin.jpg