Red LED Light for Coyote Hunting - Recommendations Needed

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Red helps to preserve night vision, yes, but a bright enough light of any wavelength is going to kill night vision. . . . .

There are several reasons for using Red for hunting, but if you're interested in not spooking the animal, the Red is best because they have no sensitivity to Red - only Green and Blue.

You need to make sure the Red light is bright enough on the Target to trigger the Cones in Photopic vision, because human starlight-level (Scotopic) vision is also insensitive to Red.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the Elusive Wildlife Technologies KillLight XLR250 RED LED for a hand held scanning light out to 250 yards to light up retinas and the Olight M-20 Crimson RED LED as a weapon mounted kill light.

They are an awesome night hunting combination running for a full two hours.

KillLight%20XLR250%20Olight%20M-20%20Crimson%20Comparo.jpg

KillLight%20250%20Olight%20M20%20BeanShot.jpg

I use the same Cree XRE leds on my static solar feeder lights. The single red Cree is rated @<50 Lumen.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Ppr
I've been using the Elusive Wildlife Technologies KillLight XLR250 RED LED for a hand held scanning light out to 250 yards to light up retinas and the Olight M-20 Crimson RED LED as a weapon mounted kill light.

KillLight%20XLR250%20Olight%20M-20%20Crimson%20Comparo.jpg

KillLight%20250%20Olight%20M20%20BeanShot.jpg

I use the same Cree XRE led as your flashlights on my static solar feeder lights. The single red Cree is rated @ <50 Lumen. I use dual 3up stars (6 leds) w/250+ lumen. Although brite they don't compare to the 700+ lumen PT54.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do both of these lights use Cree XR-E red emitters?

Night hunt

Newly Enlightened
Do both of these lights use Cree XR-E red emitters?
I don't think so, these use the XP-G if I remember correctly, a company out of Texas called Stalk Tech is the only one I have seen that uses XR-E, much better for throw if you ask me since it emits at 90 degrees vs XP-G's 120

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
I use Solarforce hosts on my airguns for rat hunting..They both have red led drop ins also by Solarforce..The shiny suppressor is a custom made UK Neil and the black ( standing up ) one is a Weirauch..

IMG_1040_zpsf2d810a1.jpg

Another one of my rat guns..

IMG_0862_zps56e555bb.jpg

stienke

Enlightened
It's a old thread but I think this is the solution , also available in green:The OSTS Night Master is an extremely intense long throw LED flashlight for hunting and law enforcement work or wherever an extremely powerful handheld and pocketable thrower is needed. The collimation type is aspheric which features a spot only type beam without any side spill light.
There is always a lot of talk about lumens in regards to flashlight power. Keep in mind however that how many lumens a light has does not give any indication of how well a particular light will throw or how far the beam will go. When it comes to throw the measurement you want to know is the candela as noted in specs as cd or Kcd which means thousand candela. The OSTS Night Master RED is rated at 52Kcd which written another way is 52,000cd. This is 97% more intense than the stock Dereelight Nightmaster which measures at 26.4Kcd. Both measurements taken using two cells as opposed to one 18650.
This listing is for the RED light version of the OSTS Night Master. There are also White and Green versions available. An infrared version is in the works for those who need long distance night vision scope illumination.

Latest posts