Reflective stickers and concrete?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N said:
[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:
It's crazy, but you're already there, or you wouldn't be posting this question. 8^)

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the truth! :)

I kinda wimped out compared to Deanster's suggestion, but still did enough that most people will know I'm nuts. Well, here is what I did:

1) Coat of one of those super primers on the cement.
2) Two part auto putty, aka "bondo" applied to the curb.
3) Sanded with random orbital sander.
4) More bondo.
5) More sanding.
6) More bondo.
7) More sanding.
8) Brush on coat of flat black enamel (max contrast).
9) Sand.
10) Brush on coat of flat black enamel.
11) Apply the decal.

Done, in eleven easy steps!

Lessons learned:

I wimped out and used the "dry" method to apply the decal (just carefully slap it on), and as a result I did get some bubbles in it that I couldn't get out. I probably should have used their wet method.

I started the process trying to hand sand the bondo. Too slow. Just jump to the power tools!

I probably should have started out a little bit heavier on the bondo. This could have saved me a coat.

I could have done a bit better job and come out with a smoother finish, but I was a bit lazy. Maybe next time when I try out Deanster's super paints! :)

Probably also could have used a third coat of enamel, but again.. lazy.

The three part sticker thingy is very slick. Make sure everything is nice and aligned. By three part I mean the sticker has a backing on both sides. So, you take the bottom layer off, stick it to what you want (keeps aligned) and then peal off the top layer which is translucent for ease of placement.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it came out. I'm still trying to decide if I should have clear coated it (was afraid to impact the reflective properties), but when it comes off, it should be easy to re-do. Just blast it with the sander, re-paint and slap a new sticker on there.

Heck, I'll even try to find Deanster's cool paint products next time. :)

The reflective sticker isn't super reflective, but it does OK. The nice thing is by using the decal, the letters have nice definition to them. That is to say they look crisp.

Ok, let's get to the point... Here's the pictures!

Thanks for the suggestions.

-john
You must have the nicest address numbers in the neighborhood. Or city, or state. If you ever have an emergency I hope they look for the numbers on the street and not just the tree that fell thru your roof or a wayward truck.

Since you did all that work it would be nice to see the numbers painted with a pearlescent sheen, or some kind of color-changing scheme to impress the neighbors even more.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of wacky effects, I was thinking of the following for an over the top effect:

1) prime cement (no bondo)
2) paint flat black
3) mondo thick clear coat - something like that stuff they use for novelty furnature.
4) apply sticker
5) protective clear coat

The idea would be to get the numbers to look like they were suspended in the clear.

Well, since I've already bondoed, I'll leave this one for one of you to try! :)

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
C685800D-C22C-484F-A686-45ED08BC8C8C.jpeg
16 year update, lol. Yah, I should refresh this, but it's held up remarkably well.