Regulated headlamp suggestions

e-sack

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Sorry if these kind of "tell me what headlamp to buy" posts are annoying, I've looked around but can't find anything which fits the bill. Main use is hiking/climbing/alpine climbing. I've been using a black diamond storm 350lm and find max output on fresh batteries to be plenty good enough for route finding moments where you want to see far. Only thing is I'm cheap and run the batteries as long as I can which means it can get a bit pathetic towards the tail end.

Basically, I'm looking for a headlamp which has regulated output, weighs under 150g and fits a climbing helmet. The perfect headlamp would be a Fenix HM65R-T that fit on a helmet and have a red light (may get used for army stuff).

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a HM65R which has red light and is sold in UK (it's called Shadow Master) but you lose the flood light (flood_wide led is red)
You could try the new Fenix HM70R which combines all three options, throw, led flood and red light.
Otherwise Armytek makes a Wizard WR model it is sold with the choice of the traditional led between warm and cold light (I seem to remember that the red light can have 250 lumens of power)

Edit: I remember now that the Fenix HM61R with red light is also available, it is more compact than the HM70R and could be considered

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy some eneloops batteries for it. That way when it gets dim just recharge them and save money. Also they will give a regulated output and won't dim until they're dead. Ikea ladda are just rewrapped eneloops and are easy to get/ well priced

woodsmith

Newly Enlightened
I can't recommend a specific headlamp as I'm not very familiar with current offerings but for those uses I think I would look for something with spot and flood options and the ability to choose between the two and both at once. I think Fenix may have such options.

If it is sometimes very cold I would also look for one with either a remote battery pack that you can keep in a pocket, or can use lithium primary batteries as an option. I think some 18650 lights require that battery type and are not compatible with cr123 lithium batteries.

They may not be the right choice for someone who self describes as "cheap" but Light in Motion and Lupine have premium lights with very nice interchangeable mounts, including options for helmets. The expected downside with both of them is pre-made battery packs with non user-replaceable cells.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For cheap and light, maybe a Nitecore NU32 ($40 or less) Won't be regulated on the high settings, but the lower ones should be okay for hiking and camping. Turbo goes up to 550 lumens for routefinding. I have older version NU30 and it runs all night regulated at the high c.r.i. setting (older version had brighter high c.r.i. setting) Has spotlight, high c.r.i. flood, and red settings. Has a built-in li-ion battery so bring a powerbank or solar charger to charge for multiple day trips. Doesn't have a top strap so should work on a climbing helmet. Most, if not all 18650 headlights have a top strap, but it can usually be removed for helmet use if you want to go that route. If you want an 18650 light, take a look at the Nitecore HC65 v.2.