reliable leave in the car light?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I think mrlysle said just about the same thing as I thought. In my car there is a Streamlight PolyTac led.
It's not wrong to add a second light as a backup and also for instance if the passenger wants to read a map (or anything else of course) it's not so nice with 120 lumens but rather just a few.
For that I have a Quark Mini123nw. A zebralight would work as a headlamp also.

flashflood

Enlightened
Several of you have mentioned that lithium primaries handle cold well. What about heat? Is LiFePO4 a good bet here? They were developed for electric cars, so you'd think they could handle temp extremes better than most.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the T4 Inova in my vehicle for the last 3.5yrs. It comes with a rechargeable cradle so it's always ready to go. Mine has never missed a beat in the 3.5yrs years I have had it for.It just sits in its cradle ready to go when I need it.
Here is a link http://www.inovalight.com/t/t4.php

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
try a nebo redline there rated for 220 lumens and take 3 triple aaa batteries I bought mine for 25 bucks at batterplus

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read all the posts, but certainly the key element is using a light which can be powered by lithium primary cells, whether CR123 or Energizer Lithium AA. This chemistry tolerates the temperature extremes and long shelf life much better than other options.

Beyond that, I think a light which offers a quick access to strobe can be very important in a light you will keep in your car. Generally speaking, a strobe feature is one that I have no interest in EXCEPT when walking at night in dimly lit areas where there are cars. Otherwise, I never use strobe and don't want it as a feature "in my way", but if I should find myself by the side of a dark road, stopped for a problem, accident, whatever, I will want quick access to STROBE which can help draw immediate attention to myself and the situation from oncoming drivers... much moreso that a steady on, continuous light can.

For these reasons, I keep two 4Sevens Quark lights in the car, each with quick access to strobe, if desired, and each powered by fully charged, unused lithium primaries.

Of course, in addition, I always have at least one flashlight clipped inside my pants pocket. Usually a D10. And another light or two in whatever case or bag I might be using to carry various needed items. I believe redundancy in lighting is never a bad thing!

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also go with a light using lithium AA or CR123 batteries.For a light that is stored more often than used I think it is best to avoid rechargable batteries and alkalines.I don't like keeping very expensive lights in my car so I use an Eveready Industrial AA with an LED replacement,2D Mag(adapted to AA) with a Magled LED module and a SF G2 incan.I also recently added a cheap Lifegear 3AA for its red/flashing modes.Of course all the lights together represent a bit of money but its nice to have back-ups and I wouldn't be that upset with thier loss/theft.
If you don't mind keeping more expensive lights in your car then the G2 with a Malkoff M61LL or better yet a M61WLL as Kestrel suggested, would be ideal for a car light. The INOVA X5 Lee1959 mentioned would be a great "failsafe" back up as well.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having my trusty D-cell Maglites leak and leave me in the lurch repeatedly, I put together my own car light by sleeving a two C-cell Mag to hold two CR123's and a spacer and using a 4D Led-module. Also have one of those anti-roll black rubber bezel sleeves on it. Doesn't look like anything special sitting in the car, but it's more robust and reliable than an alkaline-powered incan.

You guys have great points with the hands-free action using a headlamp. I think I need to get one for the car.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. G2 with a malkoff M60 and CR123's, and a spare set of CR123's. I also wanted strobe, but there is nothing out there with a strobe that TO ME give me the same comfort in reliability that the above set up has. I can press that button pretty quick if I need to.

Then, for tire changing, baby seat adjusting, etc....I have a surefire saint minimus, with a CR123, and you guessed it, a spare CR123.

donn_

Flashaholic
My wife's had a Maglite 2C, HAIII, with a Malkoff SSC P4 drop-in and 2x Accupower Low Self Discharge NiMH cells in her trunk for 3 years (and winters) now. I just recharged the cells for the first time last week, and they were still at 75%. The light rides in a Jiffy Bag, in her emergency kit.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several of you have mentioned that lithium primaries handle cold well. What about heat? Is LiFePO4 a good bet here? They were developed for electric cars, so you'd think they could handle temp extremes better than most.

While Lithiums don't perform as well in the heat as they do in the cold (relatively speaking), they still handle the heat better than alkalines.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. G2 with a malkoff M60 and CR123's, and a spare set of CR123's. I also wanted strobe, but there is nothing out there with a strobe that TO ME give me the same comfort in reliability that the above set up has. I can press that button pretty quick if I need to.

Then, for tire changing, baby seat adjusting, etc....I have a surefire saint minimus, with a CR123, and you guessed it, a spare CR123.

I can't afford to keep an extra minimus in the car, but when going on "trips", I prepare a R.O.B. (Road Out Bag???), and place a headlamp (usually my minimus), extra handhelds (including my low red-light ones, ala Kroma, A2L-RD, etc. for night driving), as well as several Laser Brite light sticks for use as reusable road-flares/flashlight/traffic wands. These are military grade (they have NSN's assigned), and are sold in tactical kits for the military, and I recommend these to any-one looking for a reusable "signalling" option, as these things are VERY versatile.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently using a single-leve SureFire E2L, the 45 lumen cree model with the current TIR optic (round beam).

Another good choice would be the SureFire G2L, or a G2 host with a Malkoff M60LL or M61LL, either cool or warm (-w) tint, take your pick. This is probably a better choice than the E2L; I just like the E-series better.

Also, any good 2 x AA LED light (pick the feature set you like best) that can run on 2 L91s (Energizer Lithium) batteries. Most of them nowadays can.

dsmegst

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4sevens Quark AA with the newer AA eneloop in it. It should be good for a few years between charges.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a 4sevens Quark AA with the newer AA eneloop in it. It should be good for a few years between charges.
Definitely nothing wrong with NiMH Eneloops for the most part, my emergency car light is loaded with AA Duraloops, with more Duraloops as backup. With Lithium AA's and CR123's as backup backup. :)

Welcome to CPF, BTW. :wave:

Here in Oregon, I figure that 99%+ of the time, NiMH chemistry will have no problems at all with our expected temps. Eneloops are so nice, maybe the OP will want to move from northern NY to a warmer climate. ;)

Edit: Taking a rough look at the numbers so far, it's approximately 11 votes just for the SureFire G2 series, and ~18 votes for everything else combined.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Edit: Taking a rough look at the numbers so far, it's approximately 11 votes just for the SureFire G2 series, and ~18 votes for everything else.

Another vote for a G2 in the cars, both with Malkoff M60LL dropins. Is that 19 votes, or 20, with G2's in both cars? ;)

I can also testify that, while not desireable, it IS possible to change a tire in the dark with the Nitrolon body held firmly in the teeth. I'd use headlamps, but like the form factor of the G2 series light much better overall.

Each have a lanyard and carry 2 spare batteries taht are attached to the light papoose-style, in a home-made carrier fabbed from a short section of bicycle inner tube.

shark_za

Enlightened
Personally I don't leave a light in my car unless I am prepared to give it up.
Break ins, theft, etc.

I have simple cheap lights in my cars, 2x AA powered with L91's

Solarforce L2r
Romisen RC-N3

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Quark AA2 in both my cars along with a head strap which converts the light into a headlamp when necessary. I have lithium primaries in them both with a spare set of batteries in each car. I like this set up & trust it. I have many cr123 lights, but chose the AA based lights for my cars so that if I'm on a trip & use the light a lot I could easily buy alkalines most anywhere if needed.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shark, good point. I myself get the willies about leaving anything in my car I wouldn't want to lose. Kinda why I always went with the ubiquitous Maglite.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
And yet another vote for the SF G2 Nitrolon with spare lithium primaries. Perfect for cold dark nights, super reliable, and not too expensive to replace if stolen.

Plus I have a RayN S20 AAA (I hate this light and keep it in my car so I dont have to look at it) just in case I find myself in need of common place batteries that can be bought in any gas station.