Remington Arms LED Headlight RMHL4AA-B Review

dla

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any pictures?

I guess I wonder how did you ID'd the batt-pack as Nuwai? (i.e part #/ product # or ???)

Which end of the battery pack will the "glued" contacts warp? Top? Bottom? Both?

From what I have seen the contacts are *not* glued as I have taken the batt-pack apart completely. (both ends - one screw in the bottom and two at the top and it comes apart in about 60 seconds).

If people want I could post some pics (I would have yet I do not own a digi-cam, but could easily borrow one)

Now, my hack mod skills could put this light in the 'junk' drawer, but that is a whole seperate issue.

Unfortunately I threw my River Rock 1watt headlamp battery pack away....but I kept the led to play with.

The retainer and the lightbar red led are the tipoff I used to id it as Nuwai.

My battery pack had the wire end cemented in place, obviously yours doesn't have that, which is good. Mine died when the contacts deformed the retaining plastic due to heat. The heat was from normal use - I didn't see where a battery went mustang on me.

I sincerely hope that your experience with the Remington is better than my experience with the River Rock.

King Ghidora

Newly Enlightened
Your board deleted a post I spent 20 minutes writing. You missed out on a lot of valuable information about hunting with head lights. I'll give you the Cliff Note version instead. Coon hunters use head lights.

You might want to fix your board or warn people not to waste time posting.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Your board deleted a post I spent 20 minutes writing. You missed out on a lot of valuable information about hunting with head lights. I'll give you the Cliff Note version instead. Coon hunters use head lights.

You might want to fix your board or warn people not to waste time posting.

Same with all message boards, you copy you post to the clipboard or write in external editor prior to posting lengthy posts.

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
Would this be a good light for night fishing in a boat? would occasionally need a decent amount of light when throwing close to the banks. and would use the red light for tying line/changing lures/unhooking fish and looking for items in the boat. What do you think? worth the money or just buy a $20 head lamp with white led and a red led? I'd prefer the battery pack to waiste mount so I'd probably mod this if i got it. thanks

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
one thing that would be cool for a fisherman is a light with a UV LED in it. you could use fluorescent line and see it plainly in the dark without ruining your night vision.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Same with all message boards, you copy you post to the clipboard or write in external editor prior to posting lengthy posts.

there is an addon for firefox that is supposed to save stuff that you post in text boxes in case something happens.... may be called something like lazarus or something and it should just allow you to hit back and all you just wrote will reappear.

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
i use firefox and it does save stuff you've typed in a post if the browser shuts down or is closed, i never knowingly added a specific add on, it just does it. Wal-mart does have the lights that slide onto the bill of a cap with uv leds in them as well as other colors. I'm gonna try one real soon probably but I also need a bright light for viewing the banks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
depending on how far the banks are away you may need something with a little more output than a headlamp, perhaps a spotlight or one of those 190 lumen or brighter throwers. I think coleman makes a 3 cree spotlight? I have a few headlamps a 3AAA luxeon 1 type and a rayovac 1AA with optics and neither of them are as bright as my dorce 3D luxeon which throws like a laser almost.
I think the plugin I meantioned was for forms now I think of it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would guess 80 lumens or so would suffice then with a decent throw to it. I wish someone would make a headlamp designed with sockets for 5mm leds and 2 modes for them so you could choose your colors as some like red or green or white and uv would be nice also.

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
yeah it'd be nice to have this light with the big white led, a small white and a red and a uv for florescent line!!!! a fishermans dream light!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think there is any headlamps with 4 different modes/leds on them... 3 is the max so you would have to give one of the 3 5mm LED modes up.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
rather have two modes on the high power LED and two 5mm LEDs instead as 5mm white LEDs can sometimes look poor compared to an underpowered cree or luxeon

tnuckels

Enlightened
This light should be good for reaching to banks, as its undiffused spot mode is somewhat narrowly focused and the hotspot is quite distinct. Thank goodness for the diffuser.

The high and low modes of the main LED should fit the bill for you white light needs, however the 5mm LEDs come on in a pattern that might not work for your RED/UV needs.

The 5mm side works like this:
1 click = 2x5mm RED
2 click = 2x5mm RED + 1x5mm BLUE
3 click = 2x5mm RED blinky
4 click = OFF.

The RED+BLUE combination does "bring out" certain colors, blood being one, the yellow petals of a Brown Eyed Susan (flower) for another, and I'm sure there are others. I don't have any fluorescent line to try, but will be at the store later today and will borrow :devil: a sample then.

I'll let you know.

EDIT: The RED+BLUE mode of this light does NOTHING for a strand of fluorescent fishing line. Double checked the line w/a UV light. Sorry ...

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone drop a brighter star in? Is it not an xre q5?

I like how easy it was making it a 3 fuel light (4aa, 2 lithium or 1 agm) But, I am not sure it is as bright as it should be. I have a q5 on star in basement....and a hacksaw...

Comparing it with the browning nitro, The Nitro rebel 100 on a 3 aa format at same current has same throw, except a larger more useable hotspot with better color rendetion. The Remington gets nod for easier modifying the battery case, the handy diffuser, and local availability. Also, with one extra cell, the Remington disappoints by comparison to the nitro. Using white paper over each lens to judge over all relative lumens, I couldn't tell which was overall brighter.

Corollachemist

Newly Enlightened
Well, I joined this forum strictly for this thread as I have some information to share.

I was in love with "Target" brand River Rock flashlights and I once owned one of their handlamps.

At any rate, I placed some heavy cargo on my headlamp recently and broke the battery case, effectively disabling my favorite flashlight. And since Target has since stopped carrying the headlamp, I desperately wanted another.

Short story long, I don't think they make it anymore, but RMHL4AA-B headlamp which is apparently "made by" Remington is the next generation headlamp with the exact same battery case design, etc, but with new features.

Short story short, check out the HP-908XR8 located on the http://www.shykuang.com.tw/ and you will see that the Remington is just another re-brand. Of course, it doesn't matter, as the quality of these flashlights is amazing whichever the brand.

Just thought I'd share.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
but RMHL4AA-B headlamp which is apparently "made by" Remington is the next generation headlamp with the exact same battery case design, etc, but with new features.

Short story short, check out the HP-908XR8 located on the http://www.shykuang.com.tw/ and you will see that the Remington is just another re-brand. Of course, it doesn't matter, as the quality of these flashlights is amazing whichever the brand.

Just thought I'd share.
Actually this Remington headlight is carried by Rayovac. Go to http://www.rayovac.com ->Flashlights->Remington lights->Headlights

But then again Shyguang International seem to have a number of the headlamps, flashlights in generic form that Nuwai, Rayovac, Browning carry under their names or have?

Last edited:

Latest posts