Replacement for the venerated Osram 64217

ur20v

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a suitable replacement for the Osram 64217 (2100lm 65W H9 capsule on an H7 base), and in my research I'm finding conflicting information, sometimes from the same source.

The general consensus so far:
- Osram 80W H7s (62261) are just over-watt H7s made in China and *NOT* the successor to the original 64217, spiritual or otherwise.

So here's where things start to get a little muddy for me...

1. Vosla is said to manufacture an H7 that some claim matches the specs of the discontinued 65217, yet there are others who say the Vosla is just another 55W H7 and not a copy of the original Osram. Maybe this difference of opinion is due to people buying what they *thought* were the "special" H7s but were in reality just +100 or +120 55W bulbs? I seem to be finding a lot of those bulbs for sale as a 65217 replacement, but nothing definitive (or trustworthy?) as the defunct Candlepower Inc/Candlepower US listings. Was there/is there an actual H7 based H9 bulb produced by Vosla?

2. There are quite a few references across the internet to the Flosser 80W H7 being an exact duplicate of the Osram 65217, just with a confusing/misleading higher wattage rating due to differences in testing specifications. However, I have also come across a handful of individuals that refute the claim, saying these bulbs, too, are nothing more than 55W H7s in +100 or +120 guise. One person has strongly attested to both claims (that it is the same as the old Osram and that it is not)...

Needless to say, I am a little confused and not sure on which bulbs to buy.

I once bought some 70W H7s made by EEC, and while they were pretty decent quality in spite of being very inexpensive, they didn't perceptively out-perform standard 55W H7s (maybe just a tiny bit more light that was slightly whiter/briter in a subjective side-by-side comparison). I bought them to see if they could possibly be a cheaper alternative to the discontinued Osrams, but they were no competition for the 65217s.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

The Vosla 65w H7 is for real. It's also possible some people are incorrectly describing/assuming what they're selling/buying. I get mine from Dan Stern and they are as described: 65 watts, 2100 lumens (plus or minus a bit, as per normal spec tolerances), blacktopped H9 burner on H7 base, functionally identical to the old Osram 64217.

80 watt bulbs are going to exceed design tolerances for heat and/or amp draw in a lot of systems where 65-watters would do fine, and none of the 80w bulbs I've seen perform as well as the 65w bulb.

Kabana

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I kept a few of these funky bulbs to compare to the 27438.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What funky bulbs? Please let us have no more of the guessing games you tried to play with the H4U bulbs...if you have something relevant in mind, just go ahead and spit it out!