Replacement of carbide lamps by LED lamps

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
I'm just wondering how efficient the aspherics are at capturing light from the LEDs - does much light miss the lens?

It depends...

Especially XR-E is good for use with aspheric lens with respect to caching a high portion of the emitted light, because it has its own internal lens narrowing its initial beam to below 90° FWHM. Some PCX asheric lenses with a usefull diameter of e.g. 21mm have a back focal length of below 7mm. So really a very small portion of light is missing the lens.

Nevertheless, with a good TIR you achieve higher efficiency but to the costs of more spill and not such a uniform beam.

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
There was a longer pause now ...
but not for doing nothing!

I added temerature control and overdischarge protection to 'testdevice 3' in the mean time. To get this all into the very smal casing I modified the circuitry: The rather big rotary switch able to carry the supply current must go and I replaced it by a tiny one for low level signals only. Also the mechanical arrangment had to be modified.
The result is below.
Device_3a.jpg

The AA cell is for size reference only.

The light distribution of this 'device_3a' is exactly the same as with 'testdevice_3' discussed at last in this thread - the optics are just indentical.

I handcrafted 10 samples of this headlamp for the cavers in our Austrian and German caving clubs.
Here you can see, which versions were produced: http://www.bossert-inet.de/tobias/three_variants.pdf
and here you find the very detailed manual for it:http://www.bossert-inet.de/tobias/usermanual.pdf
The samples were delivered in spring of this year - and must be recalled immediately after that, because of thermal problems. That's all corrected now and these devices are used now continuously under real caving conditions.
From this experience I learned, that a good headlamp needs an aluminium casing for cooling - not ABS as mine with an aluminium lid on the back side only.

I had contact to some European manufacturers of headlamps. Most of them told me, that the market for cave specific headlamps is too small to start such a rather complex development. For very low numbers of pieces it is not economical to use a proprietory casing developed for this device only.

One manufacturer asked me, whether I could modify the optical arrangement of the light sources to allow a standard rectangular aluminium casing. If so, he will develop the electronics and all other things needed and will offer such cave-proof headlamps commercially at a much lower price than common. Naturally with modern programmable digital switching, because rotary switches are too expensive and tend to be not really watertight.

That's it, what I'm developing at the moment ...
... and it seems to be feasible!

The fist prototypes achieve nearely the same light distribution as 'testdevice_3' - but all front windows lie in one plane, allowing a standard rectangular casing:
prototype_2.jpg

This demontration sample has no electronics inside, it has a six-pole cable so each led can be driven externally. As you can imagin by those scratches, it even was tested inside a cave. For this purpose I developed a (not so compact) box with electronic inside: No problem for demonstrating feasibility only.

Now I hope that this progression satisfies the needs of the manufacturers and one of them starts to develop an inexpensive headlamp optimized for huge caves on this basis.

Last edited:

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
We made new comparisons in Hirlatz Cave (Austria)
3rd Comparison
4thd Comparison

This time we compared the light output of 10 different headlamps:
LedLampe IV
Scurion P7 (discontinued)
Scurion 1300
Petzl DUO LED 14
Petzl ULTRA
Petzl ULTRA WIDE (comming soon)
Device 3a (shown two posts above)
Prototypes 1 to 3 (model 2 shown above)

If maximum achievable output counts, there are three favorites delivering roughly about the same light output (1300 lumens): LedLampe IV, Scurion 1300, Prototype 3.
The first one is quite cheap, the second one is quite expensive and the third one is just a laboratory model only.

If optimum light pattern counts, Device 3a and Prototypes 2 & 3 outperform all others - but they are not achievable on the market.
LedLampe IV has the best flexible superposition of narrow and wide beam parts of all headlamps on the market and additionally uses diffusers to avoid glaring. But it has no real thrower (narrow spot).
Scurion 1300 is improved with respect to older Scurions, but still both patterns do not supplemet each other reasonably. In our opinion it makes no sense to superpose both, because the FWHM of both parts are too different.
Petzl ULTRA WIDE is much better than Petzl ULTRA for walking in caves, but provides one pattern only - neither narrow thrower nor really wide diffuse light. This headlamp has six LEDs but uses them allways in parallel, just as one common light source.

Here is a short description of those Prototypes:

p1.jpg

This device has only two independent light sources like LedLampe IV and all Scurion models. On the right is a XP-G with wide angle reflector, optical deviation and diffuser giving FWHM >90° (from 75° downwards to 15° upwards). On the left is a XP-G with a ripple medium TIR with deviation giving FWHM 28° (from 4° downwards to 24° upwards). Hall light is about 350 lumens. There is no shaft thrower.

p2.jpg

This device has three independent light sources like Device 3a. The wide diffuse beam on the right is identical to that of Prototyp 1. Also the medium beam on the left is similar to Prototype 1 but with FWHM 32° (from 6° downwards to 26° upwards). Hall light is about 450 lumens. The thrower for shaft light uses XP-E and 20mm TIR with FWHM 8° at 250 lumens.

p3.jpg

This device has three independent light sources like Device 3a. The wide diffuse beam on the right is identical to that of Prototyps 1 and 2. The medium beam on the left uses three XP-G, deviation and diffuser giving FWHM 28° (from 4° downwards to 24° upwards). Hall light is about 1300 lumens. The thrower for shaft light uses XP-G and 26mm TIR with FWHM 8° at 450 lumens.

Last edited:

gheza1976

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tobias,

You are doing a great job on this reasearch! I read this thread from begining til end and backwards. I started my own project in building a helmet lamp based on leds firstly for me, then if I stabilise the prototype for my buddys from our caving club.
I managed to buld the electronics at least in test phase. Now i-m working on the electrical and mecanical part of the project. I use a standard aluminium enclosure box: http://esales.eldon.com/IDS/ArticleData.asp?ArticleID=HALP061004GE&ProductID=4545 . It's rated IP65 but I think i can make it more whater tight. Further I have some questions on this part...
1. Can you point me some rotary switches that you used. Especialy i am intrested in low power ones with at least IP66 protection rate. The IP68 would be the best. I searched the internet and i dont find any relevant results. I think rotary switches or rotary encoders are esential for this project in making the lamp easy to use in caving contitions when ur hands are mosly covered with dirty gloves. I tell you about the rotary encoders because I managed to program some simple pic microcontrollers (PIC12F683) in order to do the digital switching feature and you can use this encoders or push buttons as input.
2. Regarding battery box my first option would be the petzl duo's. You can order it separatly i didnt asked for price yet. Do you have other options?

Thanks in advance,

Geza.

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
... I use a standard aluminium enclosure box: http://esales.eldon.com/IDS/ArticleData.asp?ArticleID=HALP061004GE&ProductID=4545 . It's rated IP65 but I think i can make it more whater tight. Further I have some questions on this part...

I used Hammond 1550 WP http://www.hammondmfg.com/1550W.htm which is IP66 with standard gasket and upgradable to IP68 with a separate gasket.

1. Can you point me some rotary switches that you used. Especialy i am intrested in low power ones with at least IP66 protection rate. The IP68 would be the best. I searched the internet and i dont find any relevant results. I think rotary switches or rotary encoders are esential for this project in making the lamp easy to use in caving contitions when ur hands are mosly covered with dirty gloves. I tell you about the rotary encoders because I managed to program some simple pic microcontrollers (PIC12F683) in order to do the digital switching feature and you can use this encoders or push buttons as input.

I used Marquardt 9037, which is IP66, not upgradable.

The Swiss manufacturer TechTonique http://www.spelemat.com/ledlampe/ has developed a new "LedLampe V", which is a improved commercial version of my prototype 3. This headlamp will be availlable in August 2011. Comparable to "LedLampe IV" this modell is controlled by a toggle switch (moment - off - moment) and is IP68.

2. Regarding battery box my first option would be the petzl duo's. You can order it separatly i didnt asked for price yet. Do you have other options?

I myself and most of my fiends use a NiMH battery for model flights 4,8V 3,7Ah wrapped in heatshrinking sleve http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/206019/NIMH-48V-EMPFAeNGER-AKKUPACK-3700MAH and worn in the chest pocket of the overall. TechTonique offers the yellow Petzl Duo battery case, but the contacts of this box are not so good I think and four AA cells are not strong enough to support up to 17W. For LiIon I know no usefull box (you can't buy the box of Scurion separately); TechTonique offers the Battery packs of Petzl Ultra at a special rate.

gheza1976

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick replay and the useful information about the casing, switches and battery.

The Swiss manufacturer TechTonique http://www.spelemat.com/ledlampe/ has developed a new "LedLampe V", which is a improved commercial version of my prototype 3. This headlamp will be availlable in August 2011. Comparable to "LedLampe IV" this modell is controlled by a toggle switch (moment - off - moment) and is IP68.

Thats a great news! For that price and with functionality developed by you i think it will be the best choice to buy.
Electronics and caving are my hobbys so self made devices have more like a spiritual value. Thats why i will continue the development.
I'm anxious to see the new LedLampe model and maybe test it too. I hope they will provide soon the long pomised opensource code for programming the microprocessor of the lamp.

gheza1976

Newly Enlightened
Any news on Ledlampe V which will be manufactured based on your prototype 3? On their site is stil not available.

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
Any news on Ledlampe V which will be manufactured based on your prototype 3? On their site is stil not available.

There is a note at the bottom of the French homepage of the manufacturer:

"Pour info
Afin de répondre efficacement à la demande croissante et parvenir à réduire les délais de livraison, une nouvelle structure de production est en création. Basée en Valais/Suisse, elle sera opérationnelle courant septembre 2011. C'est également là que sera produite la nouvelle LedLampe V. D'ici là, nous vous remercions d'ores et déjà de votre indulgence !"

Neither on the English nor on the German page are comparable notes.

Translation:

"For information
Our new production plant is under construction in Valais / Switzerland. We hope we could satisfy an increasing request efficiently and reduce delivery time in future. The facility will start up some time in September 2011. Than we will sart production of new LedLampe V. In the mean time we apologize for any inconvenience!"

There seem some delay setting up the new production plant, it is end of November now.

A friend called them for ordering a lamp and was told that the delivery will start in January now.

I'm very interested to get a first sample of LedLampe V in my hands for testing.

Tobias