Retroreflective tape

eggsalad

Enlightened
Perhaps slightly off topic, delete if so... but it relates to being seen at night, so maybe?
Sometimes called conspicuity tape, and I'm wondering how, if at all, it is regulated. Instances where it's required, where it's permitted, or where it's not allowed.

Thank you

3_gun

Enlightened
Don't know of any laws but general guidelines I was given to use was; white is placed to be seen from the front, red from the rear & yellow from the sides. Flashing lights were preferred on oversized loads with the same basic guidelines. That said my bike vest is reflective lime green mesh

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect you might have to narrow your field of interest down, and geographic area . I don't know any of the laws/regs, but bought some for my bicycle from Identi-tape. They mention many agencies in the USA, including NFPA (National Fire Protection codes), ASTM (American Society for testing/materials), Coast Guard, NHTSA, OSHA, ANSI, etc. I bet there are a ton of laws/regs/recommendations.

My bike vest is also lime green mesh, but with wide 3M retroreflective stripes meeting "ANSI Class 2".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
DOT regulations would be where to look. Or a federal book called MUTCD (manual on uniform traffic control devices)
I don't know where it's not allowed but do know it's required on a bunch of stuff on the roadways like the side of semi trailors, stationary items like portable changing message signs etc.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

:lovecpf:

From my personal testing, I can tell you that
SOLAS Marine grade retroreflective tape
is FAR SUPERIOR to anything in my local
Auto Supply stores !

Specifically, brand Reflexite (now called ORALITE)
is VERY impressive, even after 15+ years of service !
:clap:
_

eggsalad

Enlightened

DRW

Enlightened
... but it doesn't give any information on where it might be *prohibited*, so I will assume that there are no restrictions on its use...
There are several requirements saying not higher than, not lower than, not closer than...

Seems to be quit a few prohibitions.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

:lovecpf:

From my personal testing, I can tell you that
SOLAS Marine grade retroreflective tape
is FAR SUPERIOR to anything in my local
Auto Supply stores !

Specifically, brand Reflexite (now called ORALITE)
is VERY impressive, even after 15+ years of service !
_
Thanks Burgess. I will check this out.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several requirements saying not higher than, not lower than, not closer than...

Seems to be quit a few prohibitions.
I placed a few strips on my garbage cans so early morning drivers would avoid hitting my cans. They sit out on unincorporated county road during pickups. Legal or illegal, tape appears to work good on stationary objects, stopping the cans from flying around the neighborhood

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yes, that LINK is by Reflexite (now called OraLite),
which makes AMAZING products !

Thank You for that Link !

och

Newly Enlightened
A lot of such tape gets burned out in the sun and turns white, so be prepared to replace it now and then.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I've seen those alternating red/silver reflective tapes on 18 wheelers along the highway. They're very striking and hard to miss.

I recently made a cross-country driving trip, along some of the big inter-state highways and along many of the county and state roads. Good blend of situations including dark the way "country" dark has always been, often 250+ miles from any metro or even puny city. Dark. Got a chance to see a wide range of such conspicuity tapes on various vehicles. Am considering a body paint-colored reflective strip 3-4" wide along the entire rear bumper. Am hoping it'll keep some of the nutzos, at night, from mysteriously imagining a path through my vehicle.

Burgess

Flashaholic
A lot of such tape gets burned out in the sun and turns white, so be prepared to replace it now and then.
I've got plenty of Reflexite (now OraLite) reflective tape installed outdoors
here in Indiana for 14 Years now, and it STILL amazes me ! ! !
< insert BigThumbsUp here >

( Edited to add: All mine is White/Silver, not colors )

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say blue is the least bright…

94D303E7-D54E-4A9E-822A-FCA729BAA6DF.jpeg

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am resurrecting this thread because there is already some great information here.

While this post is about biking, I came here looking for reflective materials to put on my helmet.

If anybody has any URLs to share for reflective materials to put on helmets, please share them here.