Retroreflective tape

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
Last I checked ORALITE V82 tape (formally know as Reflexite) is the brightest most reflective tape.

Even the blue is very bright. From an online comparo many years ago.

refcomp.png

Last edited:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I am resurrecting this thread because there is already some great information here.

While this post is about biking, I came here looking for reflective materials to put on my helmet.

If anybody has any URLs to share for reflective materials to put on helmets, please share them here.

Two thumbs up, for the OraLite V82 and OraLite Solas stuff. Very bright. Can be placed around the various surfaces of a bike helmet and bike, the rear bumper of a car, etc.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Note that the brighter tapes (assuming the same color) often achieve their brightness by reducing the angle that they work over. Some of the SOLAS tapes for example provide almost no reflection unless the light source axis is very close to the viewing axis

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought Oralite (before it changed its name) tape several years ago from Identi-tape, no problems. I cut smaller sections out of the tape for small areas on my bike helmet, rims, bike frame, etc. I would say after 10 years or so, the Oralite can be prone to chipping/fracturing if constantly flexed.

I also stole an idea to put the tape on plastic fobs attached to zipper pulls on bags and coats. They flap around a bit and help visibility, like on the back of a bike. I made fobs by cutting up some fake credit cards received in junk mail.

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here examples of my fobs and cutouts. The material is slightly stiff and brittle, so does not flex, stretch or conform very well. The adhesive is quite good, though.

I cut up some credit cards and used a hole punch to make a hole for the fobs. The full size tape I bought fits on my fobs (1 inch). The dots were made with a paper hole punch, and odd shapes with small scissors.

Attachments

• Oralite copy.jpeg
    Oralite copy.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 46

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
With reflective tapes, the white is normally the brightest color. A tape that is "SOLAS" rated will have the highest quality and may hold up the longest.

If you only buy one color for your helmet I would suggest a white stripe all the way around. If you want to go up a notch, keep the white and run a second strip of red along the back and amber along the sides.

The tape comes in rolls and you can use the extra on your bike.

Reactions: JAS

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also saw these on-line. They are just dots, though.