Review: Amilite Neo T3 (beamshots added 1-14-06)

clipse

Enlightened
Re: Review: Amilite Neo T3

Mags said:
Nice beamshots. It seems the Amilite has a rather yellow tint compared to other LED lights. sidespill looks HUGE.

The amilite does have a warmer tint but this pics kinda exagerate that. The side spill is little bigger than most of the other lights and ALOT brighter than the other lights.

clipse

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice beamshots, but does yours have an o-ring between the lens, and the bezel? By the way, do you think it is waterproof?

-David

clipse

Enlightened
No, mine doesn't have an o-ring between the bezel and the lens. I don't see why it would unless to keep the lens from getting scratched. There are two o-rings. One between the lens and the head, , and one between the head and the body. Both o-rings seem to pretty good. AS far as waterproof, I dunked in it a glass and nothing happened. I wouldn't take it diving or anything like that but there shouldn't be anyreason to be concerned about water seeping in unless you turn it on and off under water.

clipse

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, my pelican m6 has a o-ring between the lens and the bezel. Maybe water could kreep through the space? There has to be a reason that they do that.

-David

clipse

Enlightened
cheapo said:
well, my pelican m6 has a o-ring between the lens and the bezel. Maybe water could kreep through the space? There has to be a reason that they do that.

-David

It would have to make it by the o-ring between the lens and the head first.

clipse

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am talking about the water going around the lens, then into the reflector.

-David

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Look again guys,

Mine has an o-ring between the bezel and the lens, but it is clear! I had to stick my fingernail in there to be sure. The o-ring between the head and bezel is also clear. I couldn't tell you why.

Also, for clarity:
when the head is screwed all the way on, the bare area doesn't show on mine, however the light is ON in this condition, so I have to screw the head off a turn or so, thus exposing the bare area. It should be anodized, but maybe the anodizing has some build that would cause an interference fit. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Bernie

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the HA3 would cause the threads to increase size slightly and then causing them to be gritty because of the roughness of HA3????

-David

FirstDsent

Enlightened
The bezel threads are HA III anodized and theyre as smooth as butter. Quickbeam mentioned a problem with the anodizing on the sample that he got. Like his, mine is missing the HA III from the inside corners of all the circumferential grooves. The bezel threads are perfect though.
-Strange

Aulthough imperfect, I love my Neo T3. It is my EDC. I have ordered a McR20 reflector for it. I understand that it is a drop-in perfect fit. It will probably lose some throw, but I use mine mostly inside at work, and a more evenly spread light will suit me better.

Bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It better not lose any throw, as far as I know, you should gain a nice amount of throw. I EDC my Amilite too, it is nice, but a little more throw wouldnt hurt.

-David

brightnorm

Flashaholic
FirstDsent... I have ordered a McR20 reflector for it. I understand that it is a drop-in perfect fit. It will probably lose some throw said:
I tried a McR20. Throw is increased due to smaller, more concentrated hotspot and peripheral light still has wide diameter. The beam looks more like the expected LUX III beam from a superior reflector, but you lose the very bright massive hotspot combined with excellent peripheral light which makes the T3 so special.

I'm a throw enthusiast, but I've decided to use the T3 as originally designed and relegate throw to other EDC lights.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, if you dont want it, id be happy to take it off your hands :)

-David

mykall

Enlightened
Looks like a great lite, but in the high 70's plus about $12 shipping
you're in E1L territory. I know the CPF motto (buy both!) but I'd
sure like to see side by side beam shots of these two.

If the specs are correct the Ami would actually have more
output but probably less throw.

MB

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L territory... I dont understand, why is it that the E1L is worth more, it has less output, and no spill... is it all about the brand?

-Davod

mykall

Enlightened
cheapo said:
E1L territory... I dont understand, why is it that the E1L is worth more, it has less output, and no spill... is it all about the brand?

-Davod

I don't know if it's about the brand but I doubt the Ami is as well built
or as well supported as the SF. I have no doubt however that the Ami
is better built than the Fenix. I would just like to see beamers of
these two (T3i, E1L) side by side.

MB

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My amilite is very well built. No problems at all

-David

clipse

Enlightened