Review: Fenix HL55 Headlamp (1x18650 or 2xCR123)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HL55 with with a quick push, intentional or accidental, comes on on the last used brightness level.
Along push would do the same thing but if you keep it pushed for over one or almost two seconds, it comes on the last saved brightness level for a fraction of a second and bumps into Burst (900 lumen) mode.

When I first saw the HL60R I thought it was exactly how I would have wanted the HL55 to be. Unfortunately I realized the red LEDs and SOS mode are not hidden and have to cycle through them which for me was a deal breaker. I decided to the HL55: the simple UI with one button for four levels is foolproof. More recently purchased a HM65R Superraptor which is a great headlamp but lacks the ease-of-use of the HL55.

Fenix were supposed to release the HM65R this year which is basically an upgraded HL65R.
If they improved the UI by hiding the red and blinking modes, it would be an interesting headlamp. Not sure if will see it in 2020 - with the Covid-19 lockdowns a lot of releases might be delayed or even canceled.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is one thing I do like about the HL60R if you quick click it, it goes to the battery checker mode flashing 1-4 times then shuts off.
I don't know where you got the idea the HL60R had flashing/strobe/SOS modes.... it doesn't have those. It does have a dual red 5mm LED mode and cycles through 2Red/Moonlight/L/M/H/Turbo modes but quick clicking gets you through them fast enough.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification. I had read reviews complaining having to cycle through the secondary modes so I assumed it would have been red and SOS or other flashing mode but maybe it was moonlight. My mistake.

I agree cycling through a couple of modes is not a huge deal, especially if you want to use Medium, High, or Turbo and switched the headlamp off in a different mode.
However, you want to use the Red or Moonlight modes and you last switched off the headlamp on a higher brightness level it messes with your eyes to begin with: the HL35 had a much better UI where you could choose whether to activate the red o SOS or the regular brightness modes separately. IMHO, aside from being slightly less glove friendly, it is a much better solution.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree with you in that memory can be an issue with any light especially when it has a lot of modes to cycle through to get to the desired mode. The HL60R has 6 modes to cycle through which is why I like the A2S as it has no Red and has separate ways to access moonlight and Turbo modes so you only have 3 modes to cycle through and when you are in the 2 alternate modes and cycle it continues on with L/M/H with Turbo and moonlight going to Low then M/H modes. The HL60R once you get used to it still is a great headlamp but you spend 2-3 times as long cycling through modes and often I have to cycle twice though with the memory if I don't have it on Turbo or moonlight depending on the time of day, my light adaptive eyes etc I often am not sure what mode I left it on nor what mode I switched to. I've done the same with the A2S but since it only has 3 modes instead of 6 you "waste" half as much time (or less) because the obvious mode for the HL60R is the red LED mode which switches to from Turbo and the obvious mode of the A2S is Low switching from High or Turbo.
Sadly with the demise of availabilty of Neutral white versions of the A2S while the HL60R still seems to have neutral tins available may be a tipping point for some people out there. Since I have both lights in neutral versions I'm not really sure if I wouldn't mind either in a CW (Cool White) version or not as some lights that offer that tint can be very bluish and others not so stark bluish.
I am glad the HL60R doesn't have strobe/SOS modes that would be insanely annoying to have to cycle through 8 modes and with memory it could come on in those modes.... YUKK!!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 years in (and many other headlamps bought and tried) and the HL55 is still our favorite headlamp around the horse farm. We are up to 5 now.

Hands down the most rugged headlamp I've ever laid eyes on. Add a perfect floody beam pattern, large switch (that's easy to use with gloves) and stupid simple UI and it's a no-brainer.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
H5D36qE.jpg