Review: Klarus Mi7 (1xAA/14500)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for an excellent review.

I appreciate all the hard work you put into this, especially that add-on testing you performed after the initial review.

Good job.

Wendee

Enlightened
I just made a long post about parasitic drain on the Mi7 then lost the post when CPF froze.:ohgeez:

So, to make a long story short, my Orbtronic protected 14500 was dead in my Mi7 after leaving the light in my purse for 6 weeks. I'm so conscious of locking out lights I'd be surprised if I forgot to lock it out, but of course it's possible.

I tested the Mi7, unlocked, against a control battery to see how long it would take to drain the battery (both Orbtronic protected 14500).
After two weeks to the day, the battery in the Mi7 had dropped by exactly 0.1v, so I guess the parasitic drain had depleted my battery (?).

I'm going to test the light locked next, just to see what happens.

Is this a normal rate for the battery to drain with an electronic switch? Has anyone had their Mi7 battery drain with the light locked (I'm 90% sure I locked it). :confused:

stephenk

Enlightened
I just made a long post about parasitic drain on the Mi7 then lost the post when CPF froze.:ohgeez:

So, to make a long story short, my Orbtronic protected 14500 was dead in my Mi7 after leaving the light in my purse for 6 weeks. I'm so conscious of locking out lights I'd be surprised if I forgot to lock it out, but of course it's possible.

I tested the Mi7, unlocked, against a control battery to see how long it would take to drain the battery (both Orbtronic protected 14500).
After two weeks to the day, the battery in the Mi7 had dropped by exactly 0.1v, so I guess the parasitic drain had depleted my battery (?).

I'm going to test the light locked next, just to see what happens.

Is this a normal rate for the battery to drain with an electronic switch? Has anyone had their Mi7 battery drain with the light locked (I'm 90% sure I locked it). :confused:
Did you lock it out electronically via the switch, or physically by loosening the head?

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your observation. Wasn't expecting the parasitic drain on electronic switch flashlights to be that high. Glad I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet (Now I'm less excited to receive my XT11GT since its not capable of physical lockout :sick2:)

Wendee

Enlightened
Did you lock it out electronically via the switch, or physically by loosening the head?

I thought I had locked it out using the switch but from my calculations, it seems that I forgot to lock it out. :ohgeez:

Thanks for sharing your observation. Wasn't expecting the parasitic drain on electronic switch flashlights to be that high. Glad I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet (Now I'm less excited to receive my XT11GT since its not capable of physical lockout :sick2:)

I guess I calculated wrong yesterday. I just calculated that it would have taken around 5 months (not weeks) for the battery to drain enough for the protection to kick in (at 0.05v per week). Is that correct? If so, I must have forgotten to lock out the light and the light turned on in my purse. I can't think of another explanation of how this could have happened. So, this is my fault, not the light's fault. I'm so conscious of locking out lights too. I can't believe I did that. :ohgeez:

I'm going to test the Mi7 with the lockout enabled just out of curiosity but even if the lockout didn't work, it would take months for the battery to drain, not weeks, so that wouldn't explain what happened.

I've read the XT11GT is an awesome light. It does have a lockout function as well as battery capacity indicator. Klarus makes safe lights and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The Mi7 is the safest 14500 light out there (that I can find). After this incident, I'm much more afraid of my own forgetfulness than any flashlight I own.

I posted this yesterday because I really didn't think that I had forgotten to lockout the light (I'm so careful!) or that it turned on in my purse, but this morning I'm realizing that that's the only explanation. Just goes to show that accidents happen (why I prefer to use protected batteries). :sigh:

stephenk

Enlightened
I thought I had locked it out using the switch but from my calculations, it seems that I forgot to lock it out. :ohgeez:

I guess I calculated wrong yesterday. I just calculated that it would have taken around 5 months (not weeks) for the battery to drain enough for the protection to kick in (at 0.05v per week). Is that correct? If so, I must have forgotten to lock out the light and the light turned on in my purse. I can't think of another explanation of how this could have happened. So, this is my fault, not the light's fault. I'm so conscious of locking out lights too. I can't believe I did that. :ohgeez:

I'm going to test the Mi7 with the lockout enabled just out of curiosity but even if the lockout didn't work, it would take months for the battery to drain, not weeks, so that wouldn't explain what happened.

I've read the XT11GT is an awesome light. It does have a lockout function as well as battery capacity indicator. Klarus makes safe lights and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The Mi7 is the safest 14500 light out there (that I can find). After this incident, I'm much more afraid of my own forgetfulness than any flashlight I own.

I posted this yesterday because I really didn't think that I had forgotten to lockout the light (I'm so careful!) or that it turned on in my purse, but this morning I'm realizing that that's the only explanation. Just goes to show that accidents happen (why I prefer to use protected batteries). :sigh:
I try and get into the habit of physically locking out my Li-ion lights but unscrewing the head or tail cap.

dogan2006

Newly Enlightened
Anybody knows about Stainless Steel and Titanium versions can lock out physically by loosening the head?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Olive Mi7 yesterday, nice little light. I wanted a reasonably priced replacement for my missing ZL SC52 (fingers crossed it shows up somewhere):

1) Finish is good quality. The olive is similar to Zebralight finish though it has a touch more sheen to it, the ZL finish is flatter.
2) The knurling is attractive and effective.
3) Clip works decently though I would prefer a fixed clip instead of a rotateable one.
4) Tailstand is solid even with split-ring attached.
5) Button is nice, though it may be prone to accidental activation. Recommend using physical or electronic lockout when feasible.
6) Physical size is quite small. Similar length to SC52 but noticeably slimmer. Very comfortable for pocket carry.
7) Output on high with 14500 is excellent, haven't test NiMH yet. Spacing of other levels is reasonable in comparison. 5 lumens is a bit bright for some delicate situations but generally acceptable.
8) UI is decent. Not as good as ZL in my opinion. Doesn't allow changing from low to med/high or vice versa without switching off in between. If high is selected, you must go through medium to turn it off. If you wanted medium you need to blast high for a moment first. Low activation is good though there is a second or so delay. Even with those problems it shouldn't be that bad in use. One advantage is has over ZL is that if you want low, you will never ramp up higher accidentally by holding switch too long.

T45

Enlightened
I agree with WIGGLE's points. I can live with the clip because I just don't use it :rolleyes:. For The UI I would definitely suggest a more ZebraLight functionality: Quick press for High, Long press for moonlight. and a quick press to turn off the light from either mode. Having to cycle through HIGH to get to LOW then OFF I find somewhat annoying. I ordered my Mi7 from lightmalls.com and it arrived in 2 weeks. I got the Olive drab version. I have enough black flashlights :nana: I like the look and feel of the light. I greatly appreciate the utility of a AA battery source. The clip? ehhh. The only problem I have is that I cannot DIRECTLY access the Low mode. If I leave the light on, it will cycle down to LOW, but It will not cycle to Low mode from High no matter what I do. I will contact Klarus and see what they suggest. I do like that they make this light in a variety of colors and there is a Titanium version as well.

elliowb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the review Stephenk. I bought two of these little lights when one of the vendors had a package deal on the light, a 14500, and a USB charger, all for less than the regular price of the light. The light output is quite impressive. Everybody has a phone with a light, so the only use carrying around a second item is if it can do something the phone can't. The Klarus definitely outperforms and makes carrying it around worthwhile.

At first I didn't like the UI and the ease with which one could accidentally turn the light on in a pocket. I've gotten use to locking it out, I use the physical lock out for convenience. I've been doing a lot of work on my boat and even though I have a work light, the Mi7 comes in handy when working in dark little corners that the work light doesn't reach. It's been my 'go to' light for that purpose for many weeks. Very handy.

I have many other lights, mainly 18650s, but they are all much bigger and heavy and awkward. They're great for bigger jobs. This light is light and powerful and extremely convenient. I find I have it with me more and more often.