Review: Nitecore EA81: XHP50-led, 8 x AA, max. 2150 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the light the EAX tried to be. I never did like the look of the EAX with its twin reflector head. The only advantage it had over the EA8 was a larger hot spot and spill, and to me wasn't worth the money.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect the restriction to all 8 cells is because of the XHP50 LED and the much higher current draw as compared with the EA8. I had the EA8 for several months and never wanted to use only 4 cells. I needed the run-time for the wide-open spaces when the output was on max all the time.

This makes sense. The Cree XHP50 comes in two flavors. One has a forward voltage of 6v; the other, 12v. I presume that the former is the one that is used in flashlights. If Nitecore wanted the Nitecore EA81 to have the capability to run on four batteries, it would have to design a boost driver for it. By using eight batteries, Nitecore can achieve the necessary voltage using a buck driver.

I do not know any facts about the driver, so this is only speculation on my part.

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
This makes sense. The Cree XHP50 comes in two flavors. One has a forward voltage of 6v; the other, 12v. I presume that the former is the one that is used in flashlights. If Nitecore wanted the Nitecore EA81 to have the capability to run on four batteries, it would have to design a boost driver for it. By using eight batteries, Nitecore can achieve the necessary voltage using a buck driver.

I do not know any facts about the driver, so this is only speculation on my part.

I noticed that the EA8 has diodes in the end cap between the positive and negative posts. (I speculate this is to protect against some batteries being installed backwards. If you installed two backwards and the others correctly, then you would have a dead short across 4 batteries, hence the diodes) This has got to create an energy loss. Not good when you are running on batteries. In the EA81 the post are directly connected. Since the batteries are all in series the diodes are not needed. I have also never run the EA8 on 4 batteries, except as a test, so I don't see the disadvantage of the series setup. I am really impressed by the EA81 light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
would love to see run time and output graphs alkaline vs NiMH vs L91's....if I were to buy the EA81 Id load it with Eneloop Pros...

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
I have an important question. My Nitecore EA4 suffers from the same thing as below. Run timed are examples of the EA4.

It is my biggest problematic issue with flashlights.

NiMh batteries not even beginning to enter the individual battery holes.
I have tried,

:UNIROSS 2700mAh - will not enter just can't push them in. If they did get in, then they would be so stuck, that getting them out would be a nightmare

:UNIROSS 2400mAh - batteries will need to be twiddled until they begin to go in, but at least one will not go in. They need to be pushed in and that scrapes off their protective plastic coating. Getting them out, I need to put my finger in the centre and pull each one out. Max non stop run time is 1 Hour 48-53 Mins.

: UNIROSS 2100mAh - will go in easily and out, but max non stop run time is 1 Hour 30 Mins. Not good run times.

: Tronic 2500mAh will not enter at all

: Tronic 2300mAh will enter and come out easily but only give 1 Hour 15 Mins. So a calculated approx capacity of 1500mAh. Bad bad bad.

Please help. I need to get the maximum run time, but the batteries are so difficult to get into and out these flashlights

advise??.

Last edited:

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I'm using Amazon's generic equiv of Eneloop Pro's and I have some Edison rechargeable a that came with the light. Some of these are snug to fit into other lights, but I haven't had any problems with my EA81. I don't have any other rechargeables.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a nitecore ea4, do those batteries fit just the same as your ea81? I wonder maybe QC is bad and I have slightly thinner battery cambers?

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Ps how are your run times for example high mode? Do you get more or about the same stated runtime?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I
Ps how are your run times for example high mode? Do you get more or about the same stated runtime?
I haven't done any formal run time tests, but I use this in a 3rd world country almost daily, and it's an incredible light. Recently used it on a jungle trip and it impressed me even more. With the Nitecore diffuser, it's perfect for me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both an EA41 and an EA8. I use the above named Amazon Basic LSD 2450 mAh cells with no problem. They slide in and out easily, and I definitely get the full capacity from them. The last batch I let get a little too low, and my Xtar VC4 actually said it put 2700 mAh in them.

I have never heard of the cells you are trying to use. I would get a hold of a good caliper and check to see if they were really only 18mm wide or if they were larger.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
FireWire I do not know where in the world you are but when it comes to NiMH AA cells sticking to Eneloop and/or Eneloop Pros and other brands that are actually re wrapped Eneloop's such as Duracell Ion Cores are your safest most reliable bet. Yes the Amazon Basics 2400mah AA NiMH is also a re wrapped Eneloop XX. Ive run both the older XX and new Pro cells in both my EA4 and EA41 with no issues.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to each and everyone of you. You all helped me so willingly. This has been such a big help.

I thank you for taking the time to advise me.

Finally I'll be be using my flashlight, without dreading the taking out, and putting in of the batteries.

-The Legend of The AAs, That Stopped A Flashaholic-

Last edited:

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Just a question. Why is there a doughnut hole in the hot spot on the ea81? Even not up close, it has it, unlike the ea4?

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Just a question. Why is there a doughnut hole in the hot spot on the ea81? Even not up close, it has it, unlike the ea4?

As far as I know, it's because of the leds' shape (with a cross). I've seen in the beam of the Nitecore EC4S and the Fenix TK35-UE (2015) too.