Review: Nitecore EA81: XHP50-led, 8 x AA, max. 2150 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, it's because of the leds' shape (with a cross). I've seen in the beam of the Nitecore EC4S and the Fenix TK35-UE (2015) too.
Correct. The center of the emitter is the spot that provides the light for the center of the beam, since it is closest to the focus of the reflector parabola. If there is no emitter there then there is no light for the center of the beam.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Im curious, the 4 LEDs in the ea81, at 2150 lumens do they each emit 2150 lumens / 4 = 537.5 lumens each? If so, that means lumens can be added up? It's confusing as I thought 4 x 40 watt bulbs still = 40watts, only a better spread of 40watts.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Im curious, the 4 LEDs in the ea81, at 2150 lumens do they each emit 2150 lumens / 4 = 537.5 lumens each? If so, that means lumens can be added up? It's confusing as I thought 4 x 40 watt bulbs still = 40watts, only a better spread of 40watts.

Lumens are additive.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened

Lumens are additive.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said before, it is the light the EAX wanted to be. If it had been available at the same time as the EA8 and the EAX, I would have definitely bought the EA81 instead. But I can control my addiction can control my addiction can contro... sorry. I am not buying an EA81 to replace my EA8 (that's why I bought my TM16). I can control my addiction - really, I can. Here, just hold my wallet for a while, please. Where's my jacket with the very long sleeves and all the buckles?

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Lol

the ea81 has a xhp50 led, what bin is it, K2?
also what voltage range does it operate between?

anyone?

Last edited:

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Run times
Using 8 UNIROSS Hybrio 2400mAh rechargeale AA batteries.

High mode 1200 lumens. 2h 27mins

Upto 2h it seemed to be constant regulation.

From 2h -to- 2h 27mins the light slowly dimmed down to maybe 200 lumens.

No warnings - At 2h 27mins the flashlight did not flash, no buttons flashed either, it just
dropped to 1 lumen.

We hope this helps using your nitecore in the urban, jungles, forests.

Ps Even with flat batteries as described above, we did the manual voltage test, the flashlight reported 2 flashes?? Why didn't it flash once?

Nitecore says
Power Tips
Each time batteries are inserted, or the mode switch is pressed withEA81 turned off, the blue LEDs will blink to indicate battery levels:
1. Three times for battery levels over 50%;
2. Twice for battery levels below 50%;

3. Once for battery levels close to depletion (below 10%).

Last edited:

Miracle

Enlightened
when you leave batteries in the Nitecore EA81 but turn the light off

does the EA81 sap the batteries's power over time?

meaning that even if the light is off, the batteries slowly lose their power

does this happens in the EA81?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
when you leave batteries in the Nitecore EA81 but turn the light off

does the EA81 sap the batteries's power over time?

meaning that even if the light is off, the batteries slowly lose their power

does this happens in the EA81?

I'm pretty sure it does have a parasitic drain, but how much I couldn't tell you. I've had batteries in it for over a month, and it still shows full with he inbuilt meter (3 flashes).

Sorry that's not a technical or definitive answer. I LOVE this light!

Latest posts