Review: NITECORE Explorer Series EA41 (4xAA)

Sarlix

Enlightened
I continue to be impressed with this light for all the reasons discussed in the main review. I find myself reaching for this light regularly, compact, powerful and good throw.

Your review gave me the final nudge to buy one. Not disappointed.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EA41 and think it is the best Nitecore Ive ever had. Will 14500s boost output at all?

Though Timothybil has already given you the answer, I wanted to add that thinking that way is a little dangerous. 14500 may be AA sized, but are a very different beast. There are many single AA lights which are rated by the manufacturer to work with 14500 and give higher output. When it comes to multi-cell lights, this is far less common, with only a few examples of 2xAA lights that I have come across that will take 2x14500.

It is good to investigate the capabilities of each light, but be very careful about using 14500s and only use them where the manufacturer specifies they are supported.

KiwiBlue

Newly Enlightened
I have replaced my EA4 with the EA41.

I do have two observations that I want to share. Firstly I believe that the EA41 hot spot is more concentrated than the EA4. Also I felt that the EA41 tint is slightly more green'ish than the EA4.

Do I like it? Yes I do! I am not a flashlightholic, so I do prefer simple AA lights. I am so impressed with the EA41 that I've just purchased the EAX (8x AA)!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a couple months with my new EA41 I have gotta say this is the nicest Nitecore I have ever handled. Nothing feels cheap from end to end. Feels nice n hefty. The beam is wide and excellent. Running on new Eneloop Pro's it runs forever. Yes it smokes the EA4 pretty well.

movanoman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a great review I've had this light for three weeks now use it every night as you say it's three low modes are great for general every day use and great build quality love it. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post 2 updated with this information

29/12/2014 - Additional note regarding inserting cells

- I have found that sometimes (in particular when using those cells with large flat positive buttons) when inserting new cells, the 'contact-mask' or 'PCB protector' used inside the battery tube can end up preventing a cell from making contact with the terminal. This means that on occasion, after replacing the tailcap, the EA41 might not turn on. The best remedy I found for this was to loosen the tailcap, hold the EA41 vertically and give it a little shake and then screw the tailcap back on. Doing this seems to allow the cell to settle down onto the contact and complete the circuit.

Phil2015

Newly Enlightened
The blue led on my EA41 starts flashing when my eneloop 1900mAh batts are almost dead?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the the lumen at strobe ? Is the max. ??

what is the output lumen at the strobe mode ?

Unfortunately my testing records don't show what the strobe peak output is. This is difficult to measure with a lumen meter sample rate of 0.5Hz which is why I tend not to publish it.

Does the EA41 suffer from PMW artifacts when moving around ?

The PWM measurement is done via an oscilloscope which can measure at a much higher frequency than the lumen meter.

As stated in the output results, there is no PWM used in the EA41, so you will not see any evidence of flickering in any mode.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Do you guys think regular Duracell alkaline batteries will do a good job for this flashlight or even any AA flashlights? Or what primary AA batteries do you guys recommend?

Thanks for Helping a Newbie Out! :thumbsup:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think regular Duracell alkaline batteries will do a good job for this flashlight or even any AA flashlights? Or what primary AA batteries do you guys recommend?

Thanks for Helping a Newbie Out! :thumbsup:

Rechargeable are the way to go and Eneloops are probably the preferred brand. Also many like the Amazon basics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL1O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSMJU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZV9TGS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWNMR5Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only primaries I will use in an AA or AAA light are lithium ones. Besides the leakage possibility, I just don't like the voltage sag alkalines have under any kind of load. My Microstream, MT06, and Terralux Lightstar 80s all have lithium primaries, and my EA4, EA41, and EA8 have the Amazon Basics 2550 mAh high capacity NiMH cells, which we believe are a house version of the Eneloop Pros (formerly XX). I have already recharged my AAs enough to pay for the cells and part of the charger cost, so I am a very happy camper.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Yeah I guess rechargeable are going to good for the long term then.

I've heard and seen the Amazon cells but was worried that they were cheap knockoffs despite all the good reviews it had. But after your posts I feel heaps more assured. Thanks!

& Happy Camper Indeed

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
good AA NiMHs and L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Left on turbo the light will get pretty warm enough so to run the risk of making alkalines fail and leak

Flashy808

Enlightened
Hey where did you purchase your EA41 and for how much (& free shipping?)? Please be sure to list the year/model.

Thanks

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
GoingGear.com is where a LOT of CPFrs go for their lights. Got my 2015 EA41 from them when it came out a few months ago. Cannot remember how much it was but it was not expensive

Latest posts