Review of Charger Xtar WP2s

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
For the USB charging, is it necessary to use two batteries of the same rated capacity? Does it draw from one battery entirely before moving on to the next?

HKJ

Flashaholic
For the USB charging, is it necessary to use two batteries of the same rated capacity? Does it draw from one battery entirely before moving on to the next?

No, they do not need to have the same capacity. It does draw from both batteries at the same time.

In this curve I did log the voltage of both batteries and you can see that the voltage on both drops continuous, i.e. they are both supplying power.

Xtar%20WP2s%20out%202.5%20ohm(2xPA18650-31).png

Replicant

Newly Enlightened
No, they do not need to have the same capacity. It does draw from both batteries at the same time.

In this curve I did log the voltage of both batteries and you can see that the voltage on both drops continuous, i.e. they are both supplying power.
Do the cells need to be protected, or is there a protection circuit built in to the USB charger? Can I use IMR or unprotected ICR with no worries?

If that is ok, not that I plan on doing it regularly, is there any concern mixing battery chemistries when using the USB charging function? Could I use an IMR 16340 and an ICR 18650 at the same time?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Do the cells need to be protected, or is there a protection circuit built in to the USB charger?

Yes, the only ones I have found without protection is the TrustFire chargers.

Can I use IMR or unprotected ICR with no worries?

Yes.

If that is ok, not that I plan on doing it regularly, is there any concern mixing battery chemistries when using the USB charging function? Could I use an IMR 16340 and an ICR 18650 at the same time?

No problems with mixing on this usb box, but I would not use small cells due to the low capacity of the cells and high current drain when usb output is loaded.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar's literature claims some protection

Do the cells need to be protected, or is there a protection circuit built in to the USB charger?
Yes, the only ones I have found without protection is the TrustFire chargers.

This is what Xtar's web page says: "Low-voltage, over-current, short-circuit protection and automatically stop-supplying function", see the excerpt below. Did anyone test if these protection features are properly implemented?

u0Q3Qi1.jpg

0w5J2y3.jpg

Last edited:

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Xtar's literature claims some protection

I was charging my iPad Air with this charger. I plugged it in at 49% while the WP2s had 2 Sanyo UR18650FM. When the iPad was at 72%, I smelled burning. The charger melted. The cells measure 3.66v each after being removed.

FaKEXoP.jpg

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

To be fair the iPad Air expects slightly higher charging current than this charger is rated to deliver, but surely the over-current protection should have kicked in. Scary.

Last edited:

jaross

Newly Enlightened

Bringing up an old thread here. Thanks for the review!

With the different charging settings, it says that .25 is better for longevity of the battery life, which means, presumably, more charge/discharge cycles? Will the charge rate effect the cells performance? Will a batter charged from .25? last longer/be brighter in my light then a battery charged at 1.0A? All my batteries are unprotected Panasonic 3400 mAh. If I have the time, should I charge them at .25 to prolong the cells life or does it matter?

My next question is on the USB output. I have the WP2S and a Miller ML-102 Version 8. When charging my phone, and using an app called Galaxy Charging Current, I get the following readings when charging from the following devices:

The 'fast' charging wall charger that came with my phone:
reference: 1200 mA
maximum: 1667 mA *(this seems to be the secret current that tells the phone it is being charged by a special 'fast' charger.)
average: 1200 mA

ML-102
reference: 1000-1200 mA
maximum: 1000-1800 mA
average: 1000-1200 mA

WP2S:
reference: 900-1100
maximum: 900-1100
average: 900-1100

So does that mean the WP2S, with 2 18650s, charges slower then the ML-102, since it generally has less mA? Which once is the best for my phone's battery health, or does it matter?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of cellphone do you have? I use that APP. The charge rate depends on how low your battery is. Once the charger is plugged in, it starts with a lower amperage, then gradually gets higher. Sometimes if you hit refresh, it transitions to the maximum charge output that the wallwart is capable of quicker. But I have found that the charge rate depends on the current state of your battery. When it is really low, below 40%, it transitions more quickly to max output, but it always starts charging on a lower amperage.
I am not sure how to answer your other questions, but I think if you charge using .25 mAh, it would be OK, but unnecessary. HKJ is most capable of answering those.

Last edited:

jaross

Newly Enlightened
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6. Those charge rates were measured at just about the same time.. I noticed that immediately after plunging in, the rates were higher, then they went down a few moments after that and stayed down.

jaross

Newly Enlightened
The S5 had a USB 3.0 port. They ditched that for a 2.0 on the S6 because charging this way hurt the long-term battery health. Not really sure on the details, but I get that has something to do with it.

magellan

Honorary Aussie

I was charging my iPad Air with this charger. I plugged it in at 49% while the WP2s had 2 Sanyo UR18650FM. When the iPad was at 72%, I smelled burning. The charger melted. The cells measure 3.66v each after being removed.

Had the same issue last week. I can't see any external damage on mine, but I was using it as a power bank and smelled burning components and plastic and took it outside. I was using 2 AW 18500 IMRs and was using it to charge my iPhone 5C which has a 1430 mAh battery if I remember right.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well this charger is off my list because of this fault, it`s just to dangerous, my Duracell CEF23 nimh charger, started to smoke while i was using the usb output, so it happens to the big boys as well.

As we all know, it`s best not to leave any type of charger unsupervised.

John.

FaKEXoP.jpg

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Yeah, it's too bad since I really like the dual capability and the 2A output.

jaross

Newly Enlightened

FaKEXoP.jpg
Well this charger is off my list because of this fault, it`s just to dangerous, my Duracell CEF23 nimh charger, started to smoke while i was using the usb output, so it happens to the big boys as well.

As we all know, it`s best not to leave any type of charger unsupervised.

John.

THE IPAD AIR IS 2.4A. THE WP2S COMES WITH A WARNING SAYING NOT TO CHARGE ANYTHING HIGHER THEN 2.1A!!! I am still going to use my WP2S to charge my <2A phone, worry free!

Last edited: