Review of the Thrunite Ti with Firefly mode 0.04 / 60 Lm

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you need regulation for a 1.5v light. It really isn't necessary.

I have the firefly light. The firefly doesn't do much for me, and I think I would like the 3/60 lumen light better. This Thrunite Ti is a very well made light for $16. Light and rugged.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Even the Fenix LD01 after the battery drops too low to maintain regulation gets dimmer.

But until then, it's consistent.

I am curious why regulation is so important? I am not being sarcastic, but want to learn more about the reason why. Thanks :)

Some people prefer to have a predictable level of output when they turn on a flashlight (especially on the high modes, I would guess). For instance, if they bought a "bright" (relative, of course) flashlight, then they want--and sometimes need--it to always be bright. In addition, while this implies shorter runtimes overall, they want/need longer runtime at a consistently bright level, and regulation is a more efficient method of accomplishing this than changing batteries more frequently--they want virtually all of the batteries' energy devoted to the level(s) of output they desire rather than arbitrarily lower levels, and changing batteries more frequently is wasteful.

I like it more when a flashlight starts to dim.

Is this just a personal preference, or is there a practical reason for it? While dimming is not quite as much of an issue today, given the efficiency of LEDs (and speaking in the broadest possible terms), the era when incandescent flashlights and alkaline (or worse) batteries dominated even the flashaholic world was not so long ago, and most of us weren't fond of how flashlights noticeably dimmed over short periods of time (even just a few minutes). This helps reinforce the usefulness of regulation for certain types of efficiencies (mentioned above), even if they're not quite as immediately apparent today, and it shouldn't be necessary to point out that most folks here wish to get the most out of their flashlights and want them to conform to their ideals (e.g. predictable output) as much as possible. So if a product of similar size, price, and other parameters has regulation while another does not, many folks here would have a reason to prefer it.

With a regulated light you are left in the dark once the light shuts off, or is there something I don't know.

A well-designed regulated flashlight will drop down to a lower level once it cannot maintain the intended level. Even some single-mode flashlights, such as the Fenix E01, have a "moonlight" mode that they drop to, by design, after a certain point. Some people insist that their regulated flashlights exhibit this behavior, particularly if the flashlights are intended for critical tasks, but for non-critical tasks it's not necessary, so cutting out with little or no warning could be viewed as a minor trade-off by some.

I don't think you need regulation for a 1.5v light.

Perhaps on "low" or "medium" modes, NiMH and lithium cells can inherently provide sufficient output stability to satisfy many people, but on "high" modes (i.e. 50+ lumens for 1xAAA flashlights) or when using alkaline cells, the output can decline fairly rapidly and noticeably just like in the old days.

It really isn't necessary.

Few things in the world are truly, profoundly Necessary, but for some people regulation in flashlights is nice to have, and all else being equal, preferred.

Last edited:

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
@GaAslamp: Superbly well said mate. Back to the topic, if I had to EDC one of the versions of the thrunite, the 3/60lumens takes the cake though to be honest, I prefer a 10-15/60 lumens version that would be way more useful in outdoor EDCing situations (for me at least)

Say you need to navigate on a bit darky streets, check something under the hood of your car, find something lost in the dark, etc the 10lumens would cut it more than the 3lumens which I assume is more useful in EDCing indoor situations. Then again, if there was a power failure, I'd prefer to have 10 lumens instead of 3. Ideally, 2,10 and 60 lumens modes would be great on regulation :p

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice work subwoofer. I'm also interested in this light. I don't know of another AAA that goes this low, except maybe a Peak with QTC.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
After another night to talk myself into it I visited the local LightJunction shop this morming. Needed a D11 clip anyway and they only had two Ti's remaining. I was powerless.

Nice little light. I see nothing different from the great review. Think I'll really like the firefly mode. And, no, it won't replace the LiteFlux, but it does go a good bit lower. It could push the Arc off the keychain.

Geoff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haz this light and last night I woke up to check on something and didn't want to wake up fully, and the firefly mode
was perfectly what I needed

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
After another night to talk myself into it I visited the local LightJunction shop this morming. Needed a D11 clip anyway and they only had two Ti's remaining. I was powerless.

Nice little light. I see nothing different from the great review. Think I'll really like the firefly mode. And, no, it won't replace the LiteFlux, but it does go a good bit lower. It could push the Arc off the keychain.

Geoff
i think i just bought the second one from their site that you didn't buy haha

i'm looking forward to getting this ti!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so after comparing my two Ti lights side by side (one is a 4 lumen low model, the other is the .04 lumen low), it appears both are pretty different.

the 4 lumen model is a bit greener on max and the hotspot is more consolidated. the .04 version (again, on max) is more diffuse and almost neutral white.

any idea why such a discrepancy?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna bump this great review / thread up. After using a Ti Firefly both bedside and another on my keyring for the past 6 months, I find that, IMHO, it remains one of the better values in AA or AAA lighting. I have T10s also (AA) that I also really like.

I have more of these sitting in backup stock :)devil:) than I'm willing to admit, but the 2 I have been using are still on the same batteries - simple Duracell alkaline. When I walk my dogs I'll typically carry a brighter light - or for EDC I might carry a single 123 factor light like a Haiku or the new Jetbeam TCR1, but should the battery die on one of these, the Ti is always at the ready.

The only single AAA light I like more is the outstanding Mako flood, but it's a different 'animal.' Designed with low levels, amazing regulation, long run time, etc.

But day in, day out, there's a Ti Firefly on my key chain, and it has continued to impress. Just sayin'... :thumbsup:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also ordered 2 Ti with my Nichia 219 Malkoff, one with Firefly mode and one without. I still haven't found a light which wouldn't be bright enough for me to go to the bathroom by night (not even my Luce de Notte).

One of these beauties id for my wife and I wonder if they take the Enegrgize Lithium L92 cells? Specs say 0,9-1,5V while a fresh L92 goes towards 1,8 V. Has anybody tried yet? I love these cells, they weight nothing, they don't leak and my wife still has the first one in her Fenix LD01ss, I popped it in when she got the light...

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer L92 lithium AAA batteries work just fine in my Ti Firefly.

Quite astounding how much light pours out of such a little flashlight.(Mine's the 3 low/60 high lumen version).

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've been searching and searching and SEARCHING for beam shots comparing the Ti on an Eneloop to the Ti on a 10440 and FINALLY found them on a german website's review of the light and thanks to some Google translating I figured out which pictures were which. I have already ordered some 10440's from DX.com but they aren't here yet for me to take my own beamshots, but these will hold me over until they arrive. So now for your viewing pleasure:

Thrunite Ti on 1.2V Eneloop (~60 lumens):
ThruniteTionEneloop.jpg

Thrunite Ti on 4.2V Trustfire 10440 (~200 lumens):
ThruniteTion10440.jpg

And for comparison

iTP A3 on 4.2V Trustfire 10440:
iTPA3on10440.jpg

As you can see this thing is RIDICULOUSLY bright on a 10440 and seems to be at least as bright or brighter (tighter hotspot though) than the iTP a3 which I've always lusted over. So there you go, hope some of you enjoy this as much as I did!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Even on 1.2 volts it puts out well. 3.7 is really bright. I have SS Rofis AAA...85 lumen on high, or so they claim. I hardly ever use anything but the 30 lumen setting...but wonder what would happen if I ran a 10440. Would not want to ruin the light...I like it pretty well.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the Thrunite Ti2 XPG2 3/80 lumen.
Thanks to you I now have to order some 10440s,
even though the Ti/Ti2 doesn't officially support 10440s.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the Thrunite Ti2 XPG2 3/80 lumen.
Thanks to you I now have to order some 10440s,
even though the Ti/Ti2 doesn't officially support 10440s.

Glad to "help"! I would assume the XP-G2 will be even brighter on one 10440!

I am STILL waiting on my Li-Ions (damn you DX.com) but I'm pretty sure my Ti will be replacing my SC51W as my favorite pocketable light :)

I might even put up some of my own beamshots :)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Thrunite Ti2 XPG2 a few days ago. I give it 5 stars. It is noticeably brighter than the Ti XPE I have to compare it to. The Ti2 hotspot is about twice as big as the Ti hotspot. The throw seems to be exactly the same as I have spent the last 2 nights with fresh batteries trying to discern a difference. The tint is totally pure white. The beam profile, hotspot size, and tint match my Eagletac D25C XMLU2 clicky almost exactly.

I don't think the Ti2 XPG2 really needs a 10440 to double the brightness. I find the beam and brightness to be very useable as is.

Latest posts