Review of ThruNite Scorpion V2 with outdoor beamshots

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my second Scorpion. The first was DOA.
One thing I have noticed is that the tail cap needs to really be screwed down very tightly. I used an AW 2900 mah 18650 battery and it slightly dented the positive terminal button. When I used a Redilast 2900mah battery it badly dented the button.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I just ordered two new AW 2900's and the 2200 mah batteries. I am hoping the 2200's are a little less tight.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Scorpion today, this is the first time I got to play with this type of tail switch, so please pardon me if my question sounds noob.

1) It was mentioned in your review there is a removable inner plastic tube inside the battery tube, but there is no mention on what it actually does. Is this some kind of isolator for the magnetic switch to work? And when I shake the light without battery inside, the tube moving up and down, is this normal?

2) I noticed there are some heavy lube inside the tail-cap around the base of the spring, and also the inner battery tube near the tail-cap. I wonder if lube is really necessary at this part, especially with that much of it? I have a habit of cleaning and re-apply lube with all my new lights, but I will leave this one out until I am sure how much to and where to apply.

3) I got myself the turbo head as well, by comparing the regular and the turbo head, I realised that the glass on the regular head seems biffier than the one on the turbo head, by tapping on both of them and judge by the sound they made. Anyone noticed that as well? May be its just that the glass on regular head are smaller hence sound heavier.

Since I am at work now and do not have any 18650 battery with me to test it, so lets share my first impression about the appearance of the light. I really like the design of the Scorpion especially the knurling on the body and the regular head. Wish they could have the same knurling (minimum) on the turbo head. Right now the turbo head just seems a bit too plain, and do not match the style of the body.

On the negative side, I noticed on the regular head, there is a black metal ring in-between the glass o-ring and the SS bezel, on my sample there are 4 dents with hard-anodized surface being chipped-off. I can see it without taking off the SS bezel, it looks like it was cause by some kind of tool they use to assemble the SS bezel. The 4 dents are in pairs, meaning there are two dents on each side of the metal ring at exactly 180 degree opposite each other, and very close to the knobs of the SS bezel (not sure that is the right term). I am not sure if this is normal for the Scorpion regular head, if it is then I won't go through all the trouble ex-changing it.

I also got a free Thrunite Ti AAA in champaign color, that came with the Scorpion. The sad part is they do not have in stock the 0.4lm version, so instead I got the 3lm version. When comparing it to my Klarus Mi X6, the 3lm low seems a lot brighter than my Kalrus's low, and the high on the Ti is almost equal to the 85lm high on Klarus. This may be due to the more throwy focus beam of the XP-E on Ti, since the hotspot of the Ti are obviously smaller and brighter than the one from Klarus. The tint of Ti also looks more greenish compare to the creamy white on Klarus.

As a close-up working light I think Klarus creamy white floody beam are better suited compare to the Ti, but I really like the UI of Ti, so simple yet practical. I wish Thrunite Ti will get an upgrade later with a neutral/warm XP-G emmiter with more flood, and that would be a perfect keychain light for me.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic tube is used for CR123 primary batteries to help prevent rattle and improve constant contact. 18650 batteries have a larger diameter.
The Scorpion is really a nice light.

varmint

Enlightened
I hane a TN11 close to yours, you mentioned the rain, I have had mine in a real rain 2 times with no problems at all, you will like that light alot. Dont feel bad about the holster mine is real junk also. A military pistol ammo pouch is perfect and very cheap and very protective. The pouch for the Bretta M9 has 2 slots, perfect!! for light and ?? multitool or ??

HKJ

Flashaholic
Just received my Scorpion today, this is the first time I got to play with this type of tail switch, so please pardon me if my question sounds noob.

1) It was mentioned in your review there is a removable inner plastic tube inside the battery tube, but there is no mention on what it actually does. Is this some kind of isolator for the magnetic switch to work? And when I shake the light without battery inside, the tube moving up and down, is this normal?

I do not believe that I got the plastic tube with the Scorpion, but as madecov writes it is used with CR123 to reduce rattle:

DSC_9768.jpg

The Scorpion has a fixed non removable plastic insert, that is used for the magnet, it can be seen in my photos of the light.

2) I noticed there are some heavy lube inside the tail-cap around the base of the spring, and also the inner battery tube near the tail-cap. I wonder if lube is really necessary at this part, especially with that much of it? I have a habit of cleaning and re-apply lube with all my new lights, but I will leave this one out until I am sure how much to and where to apply.

The o-ring is mounted inside the battery tube on this light, some of the lube is probably used to secure that the tailcap moves smoothly past that o-ring.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
The plastic tube is used for CR123 primary batteries to help prevent rattle and improve constant contact. 18650 batteries have a larger diameter.
The Scorpion is really a nice light.

Thanks for the explaination.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
I do not believe that I got the plastic tube with the Scorpion, but as madecov writes it is used with CR123 to reduce rattle:

DSC_9768.jpg

The Scorpion has a fixed non removable plastic insert, that is used for the magnet, it can be seen in my photos of the light.

The o-ring is mounted inside the battery tube on this light, some of the lube is probably used to secure that the tailcap moves smoothly past that o-ring.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed in your photo showing the battery tube, there is also quite amount of lube in your sample. I guess I will just clean it up a little bit but still leave some for the lubrication. LOL....

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my scorpion the plastic tube came right out. I dont use it with 18650 batteries. Im running AW 2900's in the light. It is really killer bright. Almost to much throw as a general use patrol light. I have the constant on set at about 70% of full output.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
On my scorpion the plastic tube came right out. I dont use it with 18650 batteries. Im running AW 2900's in the light. It is really killer bright. Almost to much throw as a general use patrol light. I have the constant on set at about 70% of full output.

I do not plan to use it with CR123, as for the throw being to much as a general light, I am waiting for the SC600w to be available locally, so I will have both flood and throw lights covered, + my Old Zebralight H51w as close up work.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
After playing with my Scorpion for few days, I must say I really like it a lot. Mine is a T5 neutral white version, but the tint is a lot warmer than my Zebralight H51w, the H51w look more "neutral" when comparing to the Scorpion T5. Can't say which tint I like more, perhaps I have to compare it to the SC600w when I get hold of it.

The only thing I think could be improve, beside what had been posted by other member here about multiple ramping modes, is the way the ramping work. If I want to set a different brightness when I am on the Infinite mode (Light on), I have to either:

1) turn it off first then press and hold to change the brightness, or
2) switch to firefly mode, then switch back to infinite then press and hold.

Beside that, if I set the infinite brightness by ramping "up" to let say 50%, the next time if I want 80%, I would have to do a quick press and hold to ramp "down" first, then turn it off, and then press and hold again to ramp "up". I understand this is a tactical light meant to be use by LEO or military, but if they can improve in this aspect, it would be an even more awesome light.

Beside what mentioned above, I really like this light a lot, may be I will get a cool white version, seeing that the neutral version are a lot warmer than others, so I assume the cool white version will be actually a real "neutral".

iron potato

Enlightened
Never know the Scorpion T5 NW is a lot warmer than ZL's NW, this 'beast' also on my wishlist as well, for that being said, I think I'll get T6 then :huh: