[Review] Olight S1R Baton II

Nokoff

Enlightened
I have to agree, the symbols were enough, pick one or the other Olight lol.

I haven't seen their XML2 in WW. Those tend to look yellow except outdoors they render natural vegetation very well. I'd imagine these torches will see mostly indoors and wall hunting use so it's not pretty when it's yellow.

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I use my S1R lights exclusively on baseball caps or cycling helmets. They are great for that, and easy to charge.

It looks like the clip is now facing the wrong direction for this use. That is a big disappointment for me.

Edit: Now I see that the clip should work in either direction. Nice. I wonder how well it grips on a ball cap?

I like neutral white. Are those out yet?

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Just bought my Warm Winter...
xsLJCfI.jpg

Pairing it with AloxSilverVic...
q3qoVfY.jpg

now that's A Match Made on Earth... :kiss:

Comparing to the surface of sand-blasted S Mini
eJCT3zv.jpg

and the tint...
7To3DyW.jpg

is as beautiful as this yellow rose... :nana:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my 'Winter' has arrived. One nice little touch is that the CRI value is higher (80 rather than 70) compared to the regular S1R II and other Titanium editions, which makes it Hi(ish)-CRI. Packs an awful lot into such a tiny package (noticeably smaller than the original S1R). The beam colour and tint is just gorgeous subjectively, but objectively, probably not as useful as higher colour temperature, higher CRI light. The beam profile is flawless too. I'll share some more thoughts once it's had some pocket time.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered my own S1R II Spring edition.(neutral white).

Should be receiving it tomorrow. Looking forward to having it,as it'll make a nice off-work EDC light.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
They arent numbered are they?

The m2r and the small aaa clicky both have serial numbers but it seems that the baton set isn't numbered

I have every one of the mini limited and every model they made in copper previous to this run

The idea that they say it's limited but theres no number has me weary

Also im not a fan of having to buy their battery

Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Thank you that is the first time ive seen it I stand corrected

Are there numbered sets available? Can I get five with the same serial?

So with the sucess of the mini with 10k of each made do we really expect them to limit these to 3k

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Are there numbered sets available? Can I get five with the same serial?
I think it's possible. The serial number is also printed as a barcode sticker at the back of the box. I believe US retailer (e.g. OlightStore) were sent some of the earliest batch, so matching set is more likely to be available. Try asking them.

So with the sucess of the mini with 10k of each made do we really expect them to limit these to 3k
My guess is...
1. SMini were ~30% lower priced than this Ti/Cu S1R II
2. they have the numbers from worldwide retail sales of the SMini to backup the production estimates
3. Date of release, SMini were release earlier in calendar month compare to S1R II

also, that 1000 lumens generated heat needs to go somewhere (this is the main reason I bought 4 x SMini Ti, but only 1 x S1R II Ti).

kimloris

Newly Enlightened
First, thank you rookiedaddy for your very rigorous and detailed review. It has been a fun and educational reading.

Those flashlights showed up on my favorite online knife store and they got me curious about them... a google search led me to your review.

I could almost say that I signed up to Candlepowerforums just to be able to thank you for your review.
Okay, to be honest, I also had a few additional questions on the winter edition as I really like the look of this one:
- besides the look, is there any advantage of the titanium body over the aluminum alloy one?
- it seems that the max output for the winter is 850 lumens, less than the 1,000 output of all the other models. Is it just because of the warm white color temperature?
- I am also wondering if you measured the real output and if it was slightly higher ? (similar to the 1,100 lumens output that you measured against the theoretical 1,000 one)

thanks again.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@kimloris, thank you so much for the kind words.

1. I bought the Winter Edition titanium purely because it's the first Olight warm tint emitter and I like titanium material. Other considerations you may want to take into are the thermal conductivity (aluminum conducts heat better than titanium), weight (Olight's titanium lights are heavier than their aluminum version), titanium are generally consider tougher than aluminum, higher CRI (80-CRI for warm white while 70-CRI for cool white) and it's a limited run.
2. generally warm white emitter has lower output (e.g. more phosphor added) and consider less efficient than cool white emitter
3. my humble lightbox measured this Winter warm edition output ~910 lumens.

hope the above helps. :)

kimloris

Newly Enlightened
@kimloris, thank you so much for the kind words.

1. I bought the Winter Edition titanium purely because it's the first Olight warm tint emitter and I like titanium material. Other considerations you may want to take into are the thermal conductivity (aluminum conducts heat better than titanium), weight (Olight's titanium lights are heavier than their aluminum version), titanium are generally consider tougher than aluminum, higher CRI (80-CRI for warm white while 70-CRI for cool white) and it's a limited run.
2. generally warm white emitter has lower output (e.g. more phosphor added) and consider less efficient than cool white emitter
3. my humble lightbox measured this Winter warm edition output ~910 lumens.

hope the above helps. :)

It sure did.
I did read your disclaimer about your light box measurements and even with a grain of salt, I feel kinda excited about the 910 lumens.
Thanks again.

Lumin8r

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at this light for a while now. However, I have not owned any Olight torches but have been intregued. I have been somewhat put off by a historical belief that they were or had been very cool white. This warm white winter may push me over the edge. Can anyone tell me who all carries this edition in aluminum?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question I'm sure has been answered before: I like the idea of the external charging, even if it means a proprietary battery. But, with the 2 external contacts -- if I drop the light in a puddle, 1. nothing happens, 2. the battery shorts. (pick one) :)

kimloris

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am always for "challenging manufacturer's claims" but the specs say that the flashlight is Waterproof IPX8, so I would tend to say that 1) Nothing will happen.
Or option 3) your flashlight will get dirty and maybe scratched up.