Review: XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus Charger

stephenk

Enlightened
Assuming I am somewhat technical savvy, but not an expert, would I benefit from getting this charger?
I am weighing my choices for an ultimate charger and so far I only have this charger and and MC3000 in my sights.
Should I be considering any other charger and is this XTAR Dragon the best choice?

This question could be discussed for ages. I would advise reading a few reviews of each charger, before making a decision.
- The XTAR DRAGON is aimed for those who want a simple to use, well built, analysing charger.
- The MC3000 is aimed more at hobbyists who want more control over their charging parameters (and thus it helps if you know what parameters you should be using, and that you have the hardware/software to perform firmware updates).
- Also consider the Opus and Liitokala offerings, which offer excellent value for money, but somewhat debatable build quality (e.g. my Lii-500 has a dodgy LCD display).

Collins

Newly Enlightened
I went with the Dragon because it can do 4 bay at 1amp. And 2 bay at 2 amp.

Also because it was an analyzing charge and doesn't have a fan. Also because Xtar is supposed to be a reputable company.

Before this I was planning on getting the Rocket.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got my Dragon today and although quite different from the VC4's I am used to I like it a lot. Being able to charge 1 amp across all 4 slots is really cool. I just scored a pair of Feilong 32650's so should be interesting charging them at 2 amps. I like the overall package it came in. Very nice carrying case lots of accessories and even charging at half an amp it seems to be charging much faster than my now well over a year old VC4. Thumbs up from me

GTan

Newly Enlightened
Hurray, after reading so much about the Dragon VP4, I finally made the purchase. This is my second Xtar charger after the VC4.

I'm trying to understand if my charger is actually defective, I find that if I have a fully charged NiMH Eneloop Pro inserted, I run the battery on the Refresh cycle I get the following result,

Charge 72mAH
Discharge 45mAH

I take the battery out and replace it back into the slow so it goes through the entire discharge and recharge cycle in Refresh and it does almost the same thing again?

GTan

Newly Enlightened
Since this charger is so new, I doubt there are any fakes but, do any of your Dragon's have the scratch code on them?

I bought mine from Gear Best, and checked the scratch code and it appears valid. Starting to feel I could have a defective unit.

I've now done a ton of charging and I find the results all over the shop, in Refresh it starts off discharging, then after discharging for a few hours 1,500mAh discharged it goes to charging then after charging 50mAh it immediately switches to Green that it is completed.

The voltage and IR test says it's at 1.27 volts...it does this to all my Eneloop batteries, new or old.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine from Gear Best, and checked the scratch code and it appears valid. Starting to feel I could have a defective unit.

I've now done a ton of charging and I find the results all over the shop, in Refresh it starts off discharging, then after discharging for a few hours 1,500mAh discharged it goes to charging then after charging 50mAh it immediately switches to Green that it is completed.

The voltage and IR test says it's at 1.27 volts...it does this to all my Eneloop batteries, new or old.
Where was the scratch code located?

Yeah, it sounds like you may have an issue.

GTan

Newly Enlightened
Where was the scratch code located?

Yeah, it sounds like you may have an issue.

It's a small card located in the bag, you take it out and you scratch to reveal some numbers that you enter into the Xtar.cc website.
This sucks, returning the charger from Australia to Gearbest is going to cost me much.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a small card located in the bag, you take it out and you scratch to reveal some numbers that you enter into the Xtar.cc website.
This sucks, returning the charger from Australia to Gearbest is going to cost me much.
Thanks, I found it. My other Xtar chargers had it right on the charger bodies, that's what threw me off.

walterr839

Enlightened
Question

I have been using this charger for several weeks and am still not sure how to go back to plain charge mode after using either test or refresh.

I have resorted to unplugging it and starting over.

The instructions are not clear to me how to go about this.

Does anyone have a solution?

stephenk

Enlightened
Question

I have been using this charger for several weeks and am still not sure how to go back to plain charge mode after using either test or refresh.

I have resorted to unplugging it and starting over.

The instructions are not clear to me how to go about this.

Does anyone have a solution?
Pretty sure you have to turn it off and back on again to get back to charge mode. (Same as some other chargers such as Lii500).

walterr839

Enlightened
I've read and reread the manual and found the answer
A long press of the test button to withdraw is how it's worded

So a long press enters the mode and another goes back to charge

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on durability of the charger body itself, specifically the charging terminal spring tabs? I had the SKYRC MC3000 and the spring tabs all broke.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates on durability of the charger body itself, specifically the charging terminal spring tabs? I had the SKYRC MC3000 and the spring tabs all broke.

Did you get a refund/replacment or did you fix it yourself, have you seen the cable tie fix, It looks good, just waiting for mine to die.

John.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Did you get a refund/replacment or did you fix it yourself, have you seen the cable tie fix, It looks good, just waiting for mine to die.

John.

No, I haven't bothered to fix it. It went into the trash bin after a year and a half of use. It's been used quite a lot. I have not seen the cable fix. It's too late now. It's the use of the full size cells that place too much load for the poorly designed 1.5mm plastic molded pins that cause them to fail.

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened
I recently got this as my first charger. I like to figure out what's best for me first rather than buying different cheaper things till I find the one I want, to try and save money. I like it although obviously cant compare to other chargers. As a complete NOOB to li ion charging, aside from using built in usb lights, having read the forum aswell before getting into it, this charger seems perfect for me.

I've read and reread the manual and found the answer
A long press of the test button to withdraw is how it's worded

So a long press enters the mode and another goes back to charge

Did this work for you? I have tried this after touching the probes together and it doesn't take me back to the charging screen. I have to unplug (probably loosing the charge information?) or wait 10 minutes.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Did this work for you? I have tried this after touching the probes together and it doesn't take me back to the charging screen. I have to unplug (probably loosing the charge information?) or wait 10 minutes.

From my review: To start IR measurement the probes must be shorted, to leave IR mode double click the display button, the charger will also leave IR mode after about 10 minutes.

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened
From my review: To start IR measurement the probes must be shorted, to leave IR mode double click the display button, the charger will also leave IR mode after about 10 minutes.

At thank-you very much indeed! I did read your review and missed that/ it didn't go in my brain until I needed it. I really appreciate the work you have done and I have learnt a lot about LiIon batteries through your website the past few days and more to learn in the future.

Goes without saying but I just tried it and it worked, I think the 1st click turned the screen brightness up, then double click did it. That is very handy to know as before I had to wait 10 mins before I could reassure myself I hadn't increased the charge current.