ReviewTheLight: Fenix LD50 (Double-Barrel, 1800 Lumens)

chanjyj

Enlightened
What weird looking lights Fenix is coming up with. Once my favourite brand, I stopped collecting them after the TK75 et al (and associated double, triple headed stuff) came up.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
What weird looking lights Fenix is coming up with. Once my favourite brand, I stopped collecting them after the TK75 et al (and associated double, triple headed stuff) came up.

Haha, I guess there are only so many lights you can make with a single head :laughing:

stienke

Enlightened

That's why I love Fenix , maybe not the best Flashlight out there but I'm sure it's one of the best brands , Fenix was one of the first brands with high power led's and a good build quality and good ano.
I love that they make some like Star Wars lights:goodjob: , I love it , every light looks the same in the last year and the guys from Fenix change that vision , perfect , keep going!

den331

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my ld50 yesterday. It feels more comfortable compared to my tk35 ue.
It' a keeper:) but my concern is. my unit dosen't blink 3x if the battery low. My other lights tk35ue,tk75,pd35 all of them blinks 3x if the battery is low. Is my unit defective? Please help thanks

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved my ld50 yesterday. It feels more comfortable compared to my tk35 ue.
It' a keeper:) but my concern is. my unit dosen't blink 3x if the battery low. My other lights tk35ue,tk75,pd35 all of them blinks 3x if the battery is low. Is my unit defective? Please help thanks

I haven't tested this particular feature, but the manual does state that when the light can't push 25 lumens any more, it will blink 3x every 5 minutes. I'll see if I can test this out tonight.

den331

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tested this particular feature, but the manual does state that when the light can't push 25 lumens any more, it will blink 3x every 5 minutes. I'll see if I can test this out tonight.
Thank you.. i tried my old 18650 to test it even the battery is 2.56volts it dosent blink

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Nice review Bigmac_79.

How did you get the spectral plot? Does the spectrum change (aside from amplitude) for eco, low, med, hi, turbo?

Someone (since departed from CPF) used to provide spectra for various LEDs. I have a couple of UV flashlights and I'd love to see their spectra.

Thanks,
KR

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
@BIG_MAC79 is there any updates on testing the low battery indicator?

Sorry for how long this has taken. For the past week I've been sitting the LD50 on my next next to me during my free time, running the battery down to the point where it can't reach even the Eco mode output, and I haven't seen a single blink, so I'm going to say that my sample of the LD50 does not have that low battery warning function (though the drastically lowered output should be a good hint still).

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Bigmac_79.

How did you get the spectral plot? Does the spectrum change (aside from amplitude) for eco, low, med, hi, turbo?

Someone (since departed from CPF) used to provide spectra for various LEDs. I have a couple of UV flashlights and I'd love to see their spectra.

Thanks,
KR

Sorry for the slow reply. I use a program called Spectral Workbench, together with a spectrometer I built myself using a webcam and a DVD, somewhere around here I left a thread giving all the details about it but I can't find the link just now. I haven't tested this light in particular for tint shift, but I've tested some XM-L an XP-G emitters in various lights in the past, and while there was occasionally what seemed to be a measurable difference, it was overshadowed by various other factors. The only exception was that not long back I measured an ultraviolet XP-E emitter, which had some very drastic tint shift (search for my review on the Imalent EU06 UV).

If you're interested in getting your UV spectra, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can talk about how to build a spectrometer, or possibly arrange sending your lights to me for measurement. :thumbsup:

den331

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the input bigmac i tought my unit has a problem, i spoke to fenix tactical they said it is possible it dosen't have a low battery function they just reprint the manual
Sorry for how long this has taken. For the past week I've been sitting the LD50 on my next next to me during my free time, running the battery down to the point where it can't reach even the Eco mode output, and I haven't seen a single blink, so I'm going to say that my sample of the LD50 does not have that low battery warning function (though the drastically lowered output should be a good hint still).

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the input bigmac i tought my unit has a problem, i spoke to fenix tactical they said it is possible it dosen't have a low battery function they just reprint the manual

That was my guess, that it just got copied from some other manual and nobody noticed the mistake.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
That was my guess, that it just got copied from some other manual and nobody noticed the mistake.

Sorry for the Error,Fenix LD50 doesn't have Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace the batter,we have corrected it.

wjv

Enlightened
Love my LD50!

I hope Fenix comes out with a diffuser for it!!

I have to admit, half my lights are Fenix lights. I really like the brand.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these recently...got a great deal on it. I am not a big fan of the interface (have to hold button for on and off), but otherwise I really like it. The form factor is awesome...probably the single most comfortable and secure feel in hand I have ever experienced. The beam is also very nice, with a large hotspot similar to the PD35. Definitely a winner...I wish I had bought it sooner!

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
For 90$ I could not help myself :)
Very solid flashlight, a good choice if you want to have constant 800-900 lm more than 5 minutes in a compact size.
Very good heat management for last 2 levels (I was thinking than on 1800lm will be hot after ~2 minutes).
Bellow two pics side by side with Fenix PD35 TAC (2x18350 power source, I believe is more like 1100-1200 lm)

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/rachiebuna/library/Fenix LD50 vs PD35 Tac?sort=2&page=1

Latest posts