ReviewTheLight: Olight i3S EOS

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-i3S-(1xAAA-XP-G2)/page5&highlight=Olight+i3s

Starts around post 137. Some people report it gets stuck on a mode and is hard to switch modes. Never happened to me.

There are also people reporting the little triangle attachment fails (i.e. opens). Again, I haven't had a problem.

Haven't noticed anything like that. I have to be pretty firm with it for it to engage, but nothing ridiculous.

I like this light a lot. I would love it more if it was L>M>H.

Agreed ;)

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ref i3S problems: I have an earlier model with a different interface - no problems. Based on success with that unit, I purchased a couple i3S copies of the latest edition:

- no problems with the chain/triangle attachemnt.
- one i3S does not switch out of the 20 lumen level when the temp is below ~10C for maybe a couple attempts. Once the electronics heat up a bit, no problem in switching levels. I do not consider this to be a rejectable problem although it is an anomaly.
- the beam color is definitely different between my 2 recent copies. One has more of a neutral color. The other is paper white.
- as for the M-H-L sequence, yes, that is for the masses. As stated previously, most people may never switch out of the 20 lumen mode. Nevertheless, the long run time at 20 lumens on an AAA is impressive!

In my view, the i3S is a keeper and low enough in cost to be a giftable light.

dosquetzales

Newly Enlightened
The small crab claw closest to the light snapped on mine, and the light disappeared. I loved it until then.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Great review... I really appreciate you taking the risk to do the underwater and drop tests. Personally I care more about that than if it really only puts out 18.3 lumens when it is claiming 20 but obviously it can be expensive to test water and drop resistance!

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I read threw this review pretty good, but didn't see if it was waterproof or resistant at all. I dropped my zebra light into the river while fly fishing & was thankful it was waterproof. Will this light help me in that manner? Nice review by the way...

I've got a recommendation thread going that has "waterproofing" as one of the semi important needs, feel free to visit it! Here it is! My Thread

thanks, Kevin

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review... I really appreciate you taking the risk to do the underwater and drop tests. Personally I care more about that than if it really only puts out 18.3 lumens when it is claiming 20 but obviously it can be expensive to test water and drop resistance!

Thanks! It always is a little tough to make myself let got and watch it fall, but like you say, it really is a very important aspect of the light, and in practical use will likely make more difference than the exact lumen output.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read threw this review pretty good, but didn't see if it was waterproof or resistant at all. I dropped my zebra light into the river while fly fishing & was thankful it was waterproof. Will this light help me in that manner? Nice review by the way...

I've got a recommendation thread going that has "waterproofing" as one of the semi important needs, feel free to visit it! Here it is! My Thread

thanks, Kevin

Hey Kevin! I did mention, it is water resistant. That's covered in the "performance" section, just after beamshots:

Submersion: I submersed the i3S under a foot of water for an hour, twisting the head just enough to change modes a few times. I could find no evidence of water entering or damaging the light.

I know these reviews can get pretty long and it can be a pain if you just want one piece of data. For future convenience, you can use your browser's on-page search function, usually accessed by Control+F for a PC or Command+F for a Mac. :thumbsup:

BTW, I checked out your thread, the only other headlamps I've tested are the Fenix HP25 and XTAR H1, neither of which match what you're looking for, sorry.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Nice review thanks and helped me to choose what to buy. I've just received this for the car keys along with a Zebralight SC52 for compact EDC (again based on CPF feedback). Happy with both at this stage but will watch for tint and stay away from freezers :)

Have any of you shortened the key chain on the Olight? Here's a pic out of the box to show you what I mean. The chain looks a little long and fiddly to me, but I suppose if I shorten it too much I won't be able to rotate the head easily while holding the torch in the palm of my hand. Has anyone chopped off the chain and now regret it?

Olight by mhpreston, on Flickr

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
Have any of you shortened the key chain on the Olight? Here's a pic out of the box to show you what I mean. The chain looks a little long and fiddly to me, but I suppose if I shorten it too much I won't be able to rotate the head easily while holding the torch in the palm of my hand. Has anyone chopped off the chain and now regret it?

After having read reports of how the triangular ring seems to come off quite easily (I think some members lost their lights because of this) I decided to replace it with a small round split-ring which I attached directly to the larger ring I have my keys on. I think with this setup the light is able to move rather freely in all directions. This solution may not suit you, but if you want to try it out for a few days, it's very reversible :)

jqrz.jpg

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, I am not a fan of a UI that goes: medium-high-low (or moonlight in this case). However, I purchased an i3S to gift to a friend and tested it out prior to wrapping it up with a few eneloops. I compared it to an old iTP EOS with an XP-E and the tint looks quite purple when compared side to side. Output and tint on the latest i3S were quite nice on the one I gifted.

The UI this time around didn't seem as bad. I don't know if it was the output on the light or just that I've come around a bit to the mode sequence. I also don't mind at all that strobe is there, only hidden. Nice to have if needed, but easy to avoid if not. I just may pick up a few of these for myself and other family members.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Last night it helped me realise that the SC52 I got at the same time does look green. Oddly, I find the UIs on both are sort of complimentary and its difficult to find the strobe - I know its something that I would forget to try in a real situation anyway. As a Newbie, I have to say the UI on my SRT 7 can't be beaten.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Swede - thanks for the tip! It doesn't look too robust so I will replace mine with a split ring too. The chain is gone now and it works well, plus doesn't hit my knee when the key is in the ignition!

mhpreston

Enlightened
Grrr - can you belive it?! You were so right Swede! Before I could get to the DIY store this weekend, the triangular ring on my new torch parted and it fell onto the concrete forecourt at the garage (gas station). Managed to score the finish :(

Swede74

Enlightened
Swede - thanks for the tip! It doesn't look too robust so I will replace mine with a split ring too. The chain is gone now and it works well, plus doesn't hit my knee when the key is in the ignition!

You're welcome...

Grrr - can you belive it?! You were so right Swede! Before I could get to the DIY store this weekend, the triangular ring on my new torch parted and it fell onto the concrete forecourt at the garage (gas station). Managed to score the finish :(

...I only wish I had mentioned it a few days earlier - maybe the little mishap could have been prevented.

Keychain lights, if put to actual use, are going to get scratched sooner or later. There's simply no avoiding it, and as often said on this forum, after that first ding you no longer have to worry about trying to preserve a pristine finish, and can start enjoying your light instead :)