ReviewTheLight: Olight i3S EOS

mhpreston

Enlightened
You're welcome...

...I only wish I had mentioned it a few days earlier - maybe the little mishap could have been prevented.

Keychain lights, if put to actual use, are going to get scratched sooner or later. There's simply no avoiding it, and as often said on this forum, after that first ding you no longer have to worry about trying to preserve a pristine finish, and can start enjoying your light instead :)

Ha ha - thanks again. Mine looks properly used now, for sure!

mhpreston

Enlightened
I was contemplating sending my damaged Olight back, with was chipped after it fell onto concrete when the key ring broke (I must be CPF OCD!). I learned from here that this is a known issue. As it happened, I have concealed the damage and as Swede says, all torches are going to get scratched sooner or later…

Having quickly emailed the retailer (we have a seven day reject rule here for online sales), I was surprised at their apparent lack of knowledge about the Sale of Goods Act. They only offered to replace the broken key ring attachment and not the torch. Is this a common issue with UK online sales?

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I think this is currently the best review available on the internet for the i3S, thanks for doing it.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M>H>L UI is growing on me. The runtime on M is impressive and I have other lights that start on L (and have a lower L). So the i3S doesn't get night table duty, but gets a lot of other use.

This is a good review and I'm happy the thread is still active.

TheDudeAbides

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic light! I find myself using it more and more. It's so nice always having a light on my person, as 95% of the time I have my keys in my pocket. I have nicer lights, but find I use this more than any of them purely due to the convenience of always having it. Kind of like the saying: the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when the moment arises... Same goes for lights.

Only complaint is that my triangular attachment split and fell off, as others have experienced. This occurred literally within 5 minutes of attaching it directly to my primary keychain (with only 3 keys on it) without using the supplied lobster claw. I didn't think I was that aggressive with my keys, though I suppose the light was at a bad angle in my pocket which used the length of the light as leverage to pry apart the triangular attachment when I sat down. I was lucky to have a split ring that was just barely small enough to use (~6mm diameter). All is well now, but it did put a damper on my brand new light high.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Fantastic light! I find myself using it more and more. It's so nice always having a light on my person, as 95% of the time I have my keys in my pocket. I have nicer lights, but find I use this more than any of them purely due to the convenience of always having it. Kind of like the saying: the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when the moment arises... Same goes for lights.

Only complaint is that my triangular attachment split and fell off, as others have experienced. This occurred literally within 5 minutes of attaching it directly to my primary keychain

Crazy isn't it? This must be my main EDC now too! Very handy indeed. Not sure I'd buy another one though - the anodising seems to come away easily (not counting the scars from the initial drop on concrete when the attachment failed). I don't think I am being rough with the keys etc. Anyway, nothing that a permanent marker can't fix for now!

I wonder if a rubberised version would work better?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have one of the colored ones or a black one? I bet the black one has the harder anodizing. It'd be really cool if they could do the thick anodizing like Armytek uses on their lights, it feels almost rubber like but is just an extra thick anodized layer.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, usually black anodizing holds up better than colored (last I looked into it colors were only available in HAII, where black can be HAIII), but I've seen any aluminum anodizing that can stand up to keychain duty. I have a stainless steel AAA light that doesn't show any wear, and I'm sure titanium would do well, but aluminum is just going to get scratched whatever you do.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grey itp A3 actually held up really well to keychain duty. My girlfriends i3 purple already has more wear on it than the old grey one did and the purple one has been carried just a couple months and the grey was carried over a year and looked nearly new til I broke it from a careless drop onto concrete.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
Yeah, usually black anodizing holds up better than colored (last I looked into it colors were only available in HAII, where black can be HAIII), but I've seen any aluminum anodizing that can stand up to keychain duty. I have a stainless steel AAA light that doesn't show any wear, and I'm sure titanium would do well, but aluminum is just going to get scratched whatever you do.

The orange is actually Type III. It's the same finish we have on our fire piston. I've seen green and a few other colors in Type III as well.

I believe the other I3S colors are Type II.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize the orange was a true type 3. That would be great to have a bold color and the durability.

Dr.444

Enlightened
Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

Any chance for an update with ( Low - Med - high ) ? :eek:oo:

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how many hours the moonlight mode lasts?

Brgds... /BlueSwede

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-i3S-(1xAAA-XP-G2)/page5&highlight=Olight+i3s

Starts around post 137. Some people report it gets stuck on a mode and is hard to switch modes. Never happened to me.

There are also people reporting the little triangle attachment fails (i.e. opens). Again, I haven't had a problem.

I like this light a lot. I would love it more if it was L>M>H.

The small crab claw closest to the light snapped on mine, and the light disappeared. I loved it until then.

Mine's also broke, the flashlight was hooked in my pocket and when streched it broke.

Grrr - can you belive it?! You were so right Swede! Before I could get to the DIY store this weekend, the triangular ring on my new torch parted and it fell onto the concrete forecourt at the garage (gas station). Managed to score the finish :(

I also replaced the OEM clip/chain setup with a split ring and a better, stronger stainless steel clip. Mine broke when I was just getting to know the light while inside my house. Fortunately I read about the issues and changed out mine prior to losing it or damaging it. Olight really needs to update the clip/chain setup. Other than that, this light is an excellent AAA light.

mikemalone

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for a good review of this flashlight, considering to buy one soon.