*REVISED* NiteCore EZ AA Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS & more!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: NiteCore EZ AA Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS & more!

Excellent review! This is sure to appeal to those who want something as small as possible, but with better performance than is obtainable with an AAA cell. It looks a very neat little light, and is bound to generate a lot of interest.

Moving to the Reviews section.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the review I was looking forward to. :twothumbs All positives as far as I'm concerned. :cool:

Because of density, brass could be a better heat sink than aluminum for the first seconds only. Once both metals get to the same temperature, thermal conductivity is the only variable.

The job of the heat sink is to keep the emitter cool. The emitter will be hotter using brass when the light is on for a length of time.

If you turn both lights off, the aluminum will get cooler more quickly while the brass stays warm.

So there is only one circumstance when brass might be better, when the flashlight is stone cold and for a few seconds.

I'm not going to make additional posts on the subject to avoid taking the thread OT. Anyone who is familiar with thermal analysis will understand... it's pretty basic.

Brass is like a gallon jug attached to a drinking straw. Aluminum is like a quart jar attached to a garden hose. Start filling them with water at the same rate, and see which one overflows.

The reason brass is better in the EZAA? First, I doubt the emitter won't run hot enough that the emitter goes into an unsafe temperature, regardless which metal is used. Second, brass makes for smoother, more durable threads. Third, brass won't oxidize as fast, providing better electrical contact. Finally, exposed brass looks way cooler.

Last edited:

mighty82

Enlightened

The D10 was rated 3-5 lumens, but was in reality about 0.3 lumens, so I should have known it was the same deal with this one.

The 15 lumens seems to be about 6-7 from the measurements here. Now I hope the runtime will be at least as long as with the LD10.
It should be, with constant current regulation and much lower output.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just a quick update - runtimes are continuing, and I plan to do a 2650mAh NiMH Hi mode run after the Lo mode eneloop is done (sometime today).

FYI, NiteCore informs me that their runtimes are based on higher capacity NiMH, so we'll see how my results compare. The graphs will be update as new runs come in. :wave:

I wonder what the runtime would be in a very cold enviroment, or just with some sort of cooling method.
Does it get hot on High, when holding it ?
All my runtimes are done under a cooling fan. I haven't tried extended use by hand yet. :)

Noob question, is it regulated? Not sure if I read the graphs right, light output starts dips constantly....
Yes, I would definitely say it is regulated. The pattern looks a little different from some others, but it is still regulated.

So the EZAA had better throw than the D10?
.. Also does the body look too thin? Meaning do you think it would be very durable? I carry a lumapower incendio on my keychain and its not too bad so personally I think that the EZAA would not even be an issue.
Actually, the throw is within the range of the others - raw Lux is always bound to be a misleading variable from one sample to another (i.e. the difference from 2400 lux to 2000 lux is 20% more lux, but only 10% more throw when taking the square roots). That's within the variation you would see between samples.

I don't find the body to be fragile - despite being thin, it still seems fairly firm. And glad to hear the size of the Incendio is good for you - keychain carry is a subjective issue, I suspect. ;)

I guess I was initially a bit disappointed with only about 45 minutes flat runtime on an eneloop on high, when the promos kept touting 1.5 hrs. ... But, even though an e2 squeezes out 1.5 hrs. before dropping below 50%, as qip points out, the e2 fails to produce its usual flat runtime....? ... Like Abyssos, I'm also wondering about the foam cushion long term.
Runtimes are progressing, and we'll see how the 2650mAh does. :) As for the L91 runtime, I realize it may not be quite as flat as some others - but I don't see anything abnormal about it. In fact, all the runs look remarkable similar to the EagleTac P10A.

As for the foam cushion, I understand the concern (especially unsticking - used to happen with me on the JetBeam C-LE). We'll see how this one survives the testing. It can always be replaced (Dr Sholl corn pads worked well in the C-LE, may need to be trimmed to be used here). And it may work fine without it (although I would expect some possible battery wobble with the cushion).

So there is only one circumstance when brass might be better, when the flashlight is stone cold and for a few seconds. ...
I'm not going to make additional posts on the subject to avoid taking the thread OT. Anyone who is familiar with thermal analysis will understand... it's pretty basic.
Since the light is meant to be run in the hand (with your own circulatory system serving as the ultimate heat exchanger), my guess is that they simply wanted to increase the overall density without overly increasing the weight. But I am not an engineer, so I will bow to your expertise on this one. :bow:

The D10 was rated 3-5 lumens, but was in reality about 0.3 lumens, so I should have known it was the same deal with this one. The 15 lumens seems to be about 6-7 from the measurements here. Now I hope the runtime will be at least as long as with the LD10. .
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by how low both the D10 and EZ AA are, relative to their specs. I really think this apparent ~5-10 lumen low on the EZ AA is a good level for a keychain light. We'll see how the runtimes do (so far, I'm at 14 hours on the eneloop low mode run, and still going ...)

More to come ... :wave:

Last edited:

Ble

Newly Enlightened

Great review.

I'm very disappointed about the low level, I expected 15 (anounced) lumens and this is less than half. :thinking:
Very low and very high for two levels.
I would preferred 15 and 90 or even 20 and 80 and 1,5 or 2 hours high with an Eneloop (that's what I'm going to use on it).

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review :thumbsup:.

Makes me want to have the light even more. But I ordered the warm-white version so I have to wait even more :(.

rayman

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

As I noted in an earlier post, the foam in the EZ should be no real problem. To come to this conclusion I use years of experience with foam in two of my Arc AAA's, one of them I purchased in 2003. The foam, for one, keeps the AAA cell from moving around when the light is turn off. For another, it serves as a mechanical devise to prevent reverse polarity, if a cell is inserted backwards. Now my poor little 6 year old Arc AAA, has, not intentionally, been through three wash and dry cycles in our washing machine, :eek: and the foam has not been affected. It has been used and used and used, and the foam is ok. So, when I say that the foam will, and maybe I should say, should, not be a problem. The maker of that light did (does) supply extra foam for those that might have need for some, and one time I inadvertantly knocked the foam piece off. Was able to stick it back on, but sent for some extra foam just in case.

My Endeavor CR2 Ion has never had a problem with the foam, and extra foam is available. So, extra foam should be made available for the EZ, and may never have to be used. Foam used in the EZ, is something that does not need to be worrried about, and should not be considered a deal breaker for those considering this light. Just my not too humble, but based on my experience with foam used in flashlights, opinion.

Bill

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review.

I'm very disappointed about the low level, I expected 15 (anounced) lumens and this is less than half. :thinking:
Very low and very high for two levels.
I would preferred 15 and 90 or even 20 and 80 and 1,5 or 2 hours high with an Eneloop (that's what I'm going to use on it).

Thanks for getting the quick review up. I am a bit disappointed in the first stage output being only half of what it is advertised as. I was hoping this to be the ideal pocket AA light with a nice "primary" first stage of 10-15 lumens. Most lights like the Novatac and Ra where careful in selecting the most useful setting to be near this rating. There are so many other lights that provide a low-low level for night navigation or extreme long emergency runtime. And an AAA light can already provide a decent runtime at the lower setting.

This light only has two settings and the nice 10-15 lumen primary setting would be possible with good runtime with the AA cell.

Not as critical to me – but - I would have preferred the high to be set to a bit lower to give a runtime of at least two hours. Set the max current to the LED to stay within its efficiency range of approximately 350mA to the LED which would be approximately 1 amp or so draw from the battery. Brightness would hardly be affected but runtime would go up considerably. 45 minutes of regulated high output from an Eneloop is not very good. But I can live with the high level of the EZAA since it would only be used very occasional.

I think this light will be nice but I could see myself purchasing an EZAA- II if it came out with the three levels as mentioned (or with the claimed 15 lumens setting and a better more efficient use of high - that way the two stage switch would remain).

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since there is a tripod attachment, is there any caution issued in the instructions or needed when running this light in high mode on a tripod, where you will not have the heat sinking advantage of your hand?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I noted in an earlier post, the foam in the EZ should be no real problem. To come to this conclusion I use years of experience with foam in two of my Arc AAA's, one of them I purchased in 2003. The foam, for one, keeps the AAA cell from moving around when the light is turn off. For another, it serves as a mechanical devise to prevent reverse polarity, if a cell is inserted backwards. Now my poor little 6 year old Arc AAA, has, not intentionally, been through three wash and dry cycles in our washing machine, :eek: and the foam has not been affected. It has been used and used and used, and the foam is ok. So, when I say that the foam will, and maybe I should say, should, not be a problem. The maker of that light did (does) supply extra foam for those that might have need for some, and one time I inadvertantly knocked the foam piece off. Was able to stick it back on, but sent for some extra foam just in case.

My Endeavor CR2 Ion has never had a problem with the foam, and extra foam is available. So, extra foam should be made available for the EZ, and may never have to be used. Foam used in the EZ, is something that does not need to be worrried about, and should not be considered a deal breaker for those considering this light. Just my not too humble, but based on my experience with foam used in flashlights, opinion.

Bill

Yes, now that selfbuilt refreshes my tired recollection, I think it was with the C-LEs that I had my "foam problems" (sounds like a bad dental condition :eek:). Bill, thank your your comments on the flip side of this---needless to say, I'm hoping the EZ is more like your Arcs and less like my C-LEs. And....the EZ will be presumed innocent till proven otherwise!

selfbuilt, I meant also to ask your opinion of the "mucho twisting to change levels" issue, but I guess we'll all have a personal opinion on that soon enough.....:popcorn:

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

selfbuilt, I meant also to ask your opinion of the "mucho twisting to change levels" issue, but I guess we'll all have a personal opinion on that soon enough.....:popcorn:
Yes, in particular could you comment regarding ease of one handed operation?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job, as always! I am impressed by the smooth beam of this light; I like the minimal cree rings.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting. Would have been nice to see it compared to the LD01 as well, since they are targeting the keychain users.

I'm surpised that it does not have better runtime/regulation. I thought with it's limited voltage range and 2 output levels it would beat the D10 for runtime.

Still waiting to try it myself. I hope the low, is not too low, or to me it won't be very general purpose.

Thanks for the Review! :twothumbs

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review! You always do a wonderful job on these! My review is coming soon as well but my light apparently got held up in customs. It's out for delivery right now though so I should receive it sometime today. I'll skip the unboxing thread though since that is covered here.

I am very impressed with the job they have done with this light. My thoughts on the brass are that they used it primarily for the smooth threading. I have been cautioned not to leave the light on High too long unattended (or at least un-cooled) but that completely makes sense in a light as small as this. It does seem to go against having a tripod mount however...

geek4christ

Enlightened

Thanks for the review selfbuilt. Looks like a nice light and I think my initial concerns with the foam donut are mostly gone.

I don't expect you to mar your sample, but I wonder if shortening the spring a little bit would mean less turning to switch from low to high. What do you think?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Thanks for your review, selfbuilt. I think I'll be liking the EZAA having a less than expected low. This should fit my typical use better. Also curious about whether the extra twisting to high is tedious? That high level does look nice, too.

Geoff

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I'm very disappointed about the low level, I expected 15 (anounced) lumens and this is less than half. :thinking: I would preferred 15 and 90 or even 20 and 80 and 1,5 or 2 hours high with an Eneloop (that's what I'm going to use on it).
I am a bit disappointed in the first stage output being only half of what it is advertised as. I was hoping this to be the ideal pocket AA light with a nice "primary" first stage of 10-15 lumens.
I hear you. Personally, I tend to like 15+ lumens as the low on a general purpose 2-stage light (e.g. Fenix L2T). But for a keychain light, I find that too bright. Maybe it's how I use my lights, but I hate getting zapped with a bright light when trying to find a keyhole or for looking for something under a table, etc. (when the keychain light usually comes out).

I agree that the max output doesn't need to be quite as bright as this ... but I'm sure they are just responding to perceived market demand (everyone always seems to scream for the brightest light possible :whistle:).

As I noted in an earlier post, the foam in the EZ should be no real problem. To come to this conclusion I use years of experience with foam in two of my Arc AAA's ...
Thanks for the input. If the foam does fall off, I've found the Dr Sholl's brand corn pads to be a very good replacement on my JetBeam C-LEs. They adhere very well (sticky adhesive), but would need to be trimmed a bit to fit here though.

Since there is a tripod attachment, is there any caution issued in the instructions or needed when running this light in high mode on a tripod, where you will not have the heat sinking advantage of your hand?
No mention of it in the instructions, but I would personally not recommend running such a small light at such a high output unattended without cooling.

NiteCore did emphasize with me their wish to have runtime testing done under a cooling fan (which I do anyway). Their concern with heat seemed to be more for battery longevity/safety as opposed to the actual light, though.

selfbuilt, I meant also to ask your opinion of the "mucho twisting to change levels" issue ...
Yes, in particular could you comment regarding ease of one handed operation?
I find it very easy to use one-handed (i.e. the screw action is very smooth). This may be the true benefit of the brass pill/screw threads. :)

The one-and-a-quarter turn from Lo to Hi is a bit more than I might have expected, but is not an issue for me - you quickly get used to it.

My thoughts on the brass are that they used it primarily for the smooth threading. I have been cautioned not to leave the light on High too long unattended (or at least un-cooled) but that completely makes sense in a light as small as this. It does seem to go against having a tripod mount however...
Great minds think alike. ;)

Interesting. Would have been nice to see it compared to the LD01 as well, since they are targeting the keychain users.
I'm surpised that it does not have better runtime/regulation. I thought with it's limited voltage range and 2 output levels it would beat the D10 for runtime.
Unfortunately, I don't have a LD01 - and my old L0D is an early Cree P4 edition, so I didn't think a comparison would be fair. I've never been a big fan of 1xAAA batteries, so I've been reticent in building up that part of my collection. :sssh:

As for the runtime, I think the performance on Hi is quite acceptable. There is bound to be some variability from sample to sample (due to emitter variability, etc.), and the results here are very in-keeping with the competition (i.e. look at the current-controlled two-stage EagleTac P10A on Hi). Realistically, there's is not much to differentiate any of the lights driven at really high maximal levels. :shrug:

Spidey82

Enlightened

i wonder if anyone will be able to reduce the amt of turns from low to high.. i'm for sure gg to see if i can do anything to save some turns.

and btw, i bought this light in full faith that 4-7s will come out with a clip for it sooner or later... => a light with a clip is ALOT more practical IMO.
but thats how i use it..

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Will you be doing an add-on to this great review when the Q3 5B version lands?
:grin2: