*REVISED* NiteCore EZ AA Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS & more!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: NiteCore EZ AA Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS & more!

LOL Sgt., this review is still less than 12 hours old, and already you want v.2.0??

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened

As always selfbuilt, great job!! Can't wait to get mine. It should fit nicely in my jeans watchpocket when I don't want to carry my Ra Clicky.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great minds think alike. ;)
And gosh darnit, so do ours!
As always selfbuilt, great job!! Can't wait to get mine. It should fit nicely in my jeans watchpocket when I don't want to carry my Ra Clicky.
That's an excellent use for the watchpocket. Too bad I already carry a USB drive there, otherwise I could cram yet another light onto my person!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

That's an excellent use for the watchpocket. Too bad I already carry a USB drive there, otherwise I could cram yet another light onto my person!
You can put a light in there too; I've got my fingernail clippers, car keys and Titan in mine! :D

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the main runtime graph with higher capacity NiMH. Hit your browser reload if you don't see the new trace:

EZAA-Runtimes.gif

This was originally a Duracell-branded "2650mAh" cell, but that pack was heavily used in my earlier testing. Last time I ran a Maya capacity check, it was coming in ~2550mAh (originally they were 2700-2750mAh new), so I'm estimating ~2500mAh now for this review.

Obviously, I need to get new cells here - but I've pretty much standardized on eneloops now, so I'm not likely to bother. Note that NiteCore explained to me that they used higher capacity cells for their runtime testing, so I thought it was appropriate to add this one run in.

Will you be doing an add-on to this great review when the Q3 5B version lands?
Not likely ... along with the obvious tint differences, I would expect just slightly lower output. Everything else should be the same.

It should fit nicely in my jeans watchpocket when I don't want to carry my Ra Clicky.
Yes, it would fit pretty well in there - just the tip of the light would show.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a bit surprised that Nitecore was so far off with the rating of the first stage output. Looking at the EZAA first stage output and comparing it to the Lumapower X2, they are pretty close at 3 and 3.1 respective. Lumapower rates the X2 lowest output as 4 lumens which seems pretty accurate. This would mean that the EZAA listed 15 lumens output is WAY off!

The Fenix L1D is rated at 9 lumens low and has a value of 11 which is "pretty" close in relation. I think the LD1 was lowered by customer request but the literature did not change (not sure).

I know there are always slight discrepancies in actual output numbers (especially at the high end) but this seems like a big inaccuracy. I'm not saying that I will dislike the light but I was at least hoping to get around 10 lumens if it was listed as 15.

mighty82

Enlightened

At less than 1/3 of the output the L1D has, it should at least be able to go 24 hours on one eneloop. But no. I'm not very impressed with the regulation here.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Looking at the EZAA first stage output and comparing it to the Lumapower X2, they are pretty close at 3 and 3.1 respective. Lumapower rates the X2 lowest output as 4 lumens which seems pretty accurate. ... The Fenix L1D is rated at 9 lumens low and has a value of 11 which is "pretty" close in relation. I think the LD1 was lowered by customer request but the literature did not change (not sure).
At less than 1/3 of the output the L1D has, it should at least be able to go 24 hours on one eneloop.
Well, I've never measured the runtime on Lo on my L1D on Eneloop, so I don't know how it compares. EZ AA Lo mode alkaline runtime will likely be done by tomorrow (or thursday at the outside) - that should tell us more, since I have data for a number of lights on alkaline at low levels.

As for lumen estimates on Lo, it is frankly hard to say with my simple milk carton lightbox. I think we can safely say that on Eneloop, the EZ AA is is roughly equivalent to the Lumapower X2 on Lo, and a bit less than the LD10 on Lo. That would seem to place it closer to 5 lumens than 10 or 15, assuming the other makers are referring to NiMH and you trust their estimates. :shrug: But note that alkaline output is a little higher on the EZAA (above 4 ROV on my current run) - if Fenix were using alkaline as their comparator, the lumen estimate would be more in the middle of the 5-10 lumen range. Any way you slice it, it definitely seems to be <10 lumens by any comparator I can think of.

Last edited:

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened

Another great review, thanks!

Ble

Newly Enlightened

"Low Mode: 15 lumens for up to 20 hours" that's what you can read in the specs.

I get this light in order to use mainly the low mode. But I can get more light from a Fenix E01.

Lets see...
E01: 10 lumens x 10 hours = 100 (if I remenber correctly, can't find a runtime right now)
EZ AA: 6? lumens x 16,3 hours = 97,8

and the EZ uses an AA that have 2,5 times more energy than an AAA.

I'm thinking in cancel my order.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wonder if anyone will be able to reduce the amt of turns from low to high.. i'm for sure gg to see if i can do anything to save some turns.

and btw, i bought this light in full faith that 4-7s will come out with a clip for it sooner or later... => a light with a clip is ALOT more practical IMO.
but thats how i use it..

Would a spacer in the end compress the spring some so less turns are needed to reach max???

mighty82

Enlightened

"Low Mode: 15 lumens for up to 20 hours" that's what you can read in the specs.

I get this light in order to use mainly the low mode. But I can get more light from a Fenix E01.

Lets see...
E01: 10 lumens x 10 hours = 100 (if I remenber correctly, can't find a runtime right now)

I'm thinking in cancel my order.
I'm thinking the same thing. What's the point of making a new super small AA light to get more capacity than AAA lights if you're going to make it half the efficiency of the competition? I don't know how they manage make a constant current regulated circuit with less efficiency than the average pwm circuit. :thinking:

Spidey82

Enlightened

"Low Mode: 15 lumens for up to 20 hours.............

From 4sevens.com
EZ AA Features

World's smallest AA flashlight
Ultra-lightweight - just 20 grams (without battery)
Renowned CREE XR-E LED capable of over 50,000 hours of output
Surprisingly bright output of 130 lumens
Continuous runtime of up to 15 hours
Brass heat sinking guarantees efficient and effective thermal management
Twist-activated output for easy one-handed operation
Straight-forward UI with two modes of output
Military-grade aluminum alloy
Mil-Spec Type-III Hard-Anodized finish resists scratches
Extensive knurling for excellent grip
Current-regulated circuitry eliminates flickering
Water resistant to IPX-8 standard
Reflector optimized for a great balance of output distance and spread
Impact-resistant optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Flat base allows light to tail-stand like a candle
Designed to fit standard camera mounts

i think 20 hrs is intermittent usage.
but still, if its not close to 15 lumens, i am doubting the efficiency of the circuitry
since, the EZaa isn't shipped yet, i will wait a day or 2 for the alkaline/L91 low runtime chart.

mighty82

Enlightened

i think 20 hrs is intermittent usage.
Intermittent usage? What does that mean? I think they just changed it to 15 hours and forgot to change it the other place or something.
"5 years on the lowest setting (if you use it 2 minutes a week)" :laughing:

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for such a great review!

I'm really impressed with the numbers. This light has a small reflector but the lux readings were surprinsingly high, the hotspot is more intense than the D10 and the Defender Infinity!

The only thing that worries me is the fact that the head must be unscrewed a lot to turn it off. This expoxes the oring to dust and dirty and the head has more chances to fall off (although i haven't had any problems with the fenix twisty lights.) I really wish this mechanism was more sentitive, half turn to turn on, screw it fully to go to high, then an almost full turn to turn it off.

Now I'm gonna preorder the EZAA instead of the P100A2. :broke: This is a hard time for flashaholics.

Intermittent usage? "5 years on the lowest setting (if you use it 2 minutes a week)" :laughing:

I know it is unfair to test a runtime with intermitten usage, but I dont think anyone needs 16 straight hours of light. That is using the flashlight from the moment you wake up until you sleep. A true flashaholic.

Last edited:

mighty82

Enlightened

I know it is unfair to test a runtime with intermitten usage, but I dont think anyone needs 16 straight hours of light. That is using the flashlight from the moment you wake up until you sleep. A true flashaholic.
With intermitten usage any light will last for anything from a day to months. You can't measure runtime like that. If you mean intermitten as in using it now and then and combining the total usage, the runtime would still be the sames as if you used it 16 hours straight.
I could easily get through a day and night with 16 hours, but that's not really the point. Sometimes I need battery efficiency.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Also considering cancelling my order.

:sigh: Runtime is off, output is off too. What happened?

Last edited: