ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

I still cant sleep, my foot feels like its on fire. The glass is all out, just a lot of surface cuts, but it hurts like the ****ens. I'm especially grateful for the well wishes from everyone. Lips said it very well. I have been known to fall asleep with a light on next to me from time to time. I cringe at what would have happened if I took this ill-fated light to bed with me. The 6V lamp is driven at 1250mA or thereabouts if I recall correctly, certainly not outside the envelope of what the batteries should safely deliver.

I've taxed rechargeables way past safe limits in some goofy mods / experiments, but I knew I was pushing limits and was prepared. Now I'm looking leery at my other Pelican M6 that I have modded with a P91 SF lamp assembly. That puppy I would have expected, it drives the batteries really hard. Why I added a 2 cell extension and use 2 protected 168 cells to run the P91 instead of 2 R123s, its a much safer load on the larger battery, as well as much better runtime. Thats almost triple the current of this incan setup, but dozens of battery cycles without a hitch. Bill Waites is right, the last incident was with SF cells. Actually I became leery of SF123 primaries after seeing so many reports of the strange accidents. All the accounts I have read have been of unattended lights that went kablooey.

I hate to be the exception. As much as it scared the bejeezus out of me, I will still use lithium ion cells. And referring to an earlier post, I wouldnt consider suing Pelican or BS for the accident, unless I was critically wounded, blinded, or paralyzed or something terrible. I done want to scare folks away from using their lights or fearing the batteries yet I felt an urgent need to post the experience. This is what I always feared, not how I thought it would come to pass.

The main point I want to get out to anyone who reads this is to know the warning signs: very, very, very short notice. The pressure release was extremely sudden and violent. I did have ten seconds or so that I could have used to throw the light away, behind a piece of furniture or into a box to contain the damage / shield myself. What I can recommend is if anyone feels their light vibrate, smells a pungent chemical odor, and/or sees or hears a rushing sound of gas like steam from a tea kettle come from the light, THROW IT AWAY FROM YOU AND ANYONE ELSE NEARBY. Treat it exactly like a firework (like a big bottle rocket) with the wick lit. Dont try to switch it off, although it may help, it may not. In my case I doubt it would have made any difference. I tried to reach for the twisty tail but I froze in place seeing the smoke jet out of the tailcap button. I reacted like a deer in headlights. I froze, just looked at the thing IN MY HAND, a part of my mind knew exactly what was happening but I couldnt think of how to stop it. Scariest part was 30 seconds later, from the time the venting started to the end of the second explosion, nothing else happened but I was so shaken I felt like the light was now an unexploded bomb. I was terrified that it could explode yet again. No experience to draw on. It took about 20 mins to even hobble back over to where it happened. I started writing this meantime because there was a browser window open. If this happens to anyone else, I can report that once the POP explosion happens, no more smoke visible, the show is over. Perhaps the safety mechanisms did work after all, in the sense that the venting stopped a much more violent explosion and the reaction died very quickly, instead of allowing a perpetual burn or worse.

There was that joke in a previous post about glad it wasnt a headlight. Im just glad it didnt blast apart into metal shrapnel in my hand. Thats another key experience to report: although quite violent and scary, there was insufficient force to shred the metal. It blew out the button/seal of the tailcap, and the flame jet looked like a toy cap gun (brief instant of about a six inch flame jet/flash) it did NOT burn me or have enough punch to even blow the tailcap off. So it is very disconcerting, all kinds of bark, relatively little bite. My injuries were sustained when the light fell to the ground after the first explosion. It hissed like a really mean snake, spewed a noxious jet of smoke out the tailcap, and went *BANG* a second time about 15 seconds after the first bang which caused me to instinctively drop the light. The second explosion on the ground shattered the front window, and instantly I felt my foot on fire. I looked down and my foot which was about half a meter from where the light landed was bleeding really bad, the splinters of glass from the lens had made about a dozen cuts in the side of my foot. It still hurts like the ****ens but no real damage done, just numerous superficial lacerations.

I never got a chance to see those videos where they induced the vent with flame phenomenon with deliberate radical overcharging, but I hope Silverfox can provide a link. I dont want everyone afraid to use their lights, as Lips said he just confidently loaded six 17500 cells into a light. I myself have been using unprotected D cell LiIons for months now and I am super cautious and a tad afraid of their unprotected nature. I have used DOZENS of Battery Station batteries without ever having any kind of problem, except one "batch" that seemed to discharge too rapidly. I.e. not long enough runtime life. I want to stress that what happened to me is the exception, but the fact that it happened at all needs to be shouted from the rooftops, hence posting here. Think of this thread as a tornado warning drill. Odds are you may never have to worry about an impending disaster spelled out by that rushing train sound and rush to the basement. But if you experience the warning signs as I have described at least you know what to expect. Again, my thanks to all that have expressed their concern for me. I'm very happy to be relatively unscathed and really appreciate the kind words.

my.php

my.php

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man I'm glad it wasn't worse for you. I've given these lights to friends of mine and will pass along your warnings. The only good thing is that if it ever happens again you won't get caught like a "deer in the headlights".

Heal well,
-LT

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank God you're alright Lunar. I hope your injury recovers asap. Scary stuff. I think many of us have convinced ourselves that it won't happen to us. Obviously that is not always the case. All my best!

fieldops

ptirmal

Enlightened

Glad to hear you're ok... I've only read about the pelican m6 doing this although there are probably others as well... I guess it's time to test each battery's voltage before putting them in!

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

I just read batterystation's crucially important post. and chevrofreak's. first of all, color me impressed. I want to say thanks to batterystation for their concern and very generous offer to replace all the damaged things. I want to reemphasize what he posted, what happened to me is the ultra rare exception, not the rule. Ordinarily, I always test the battery (voltage, etc) and do a number of checks on a new light (good ground, clean threads, everything tight, etc. I made an exception with this light. I deviated from my normal routine and just went ahead and started using the light. Batterystation brings up several crucial points. Out of a hundred thousand a month, there's a handful of incidents like this. Not fun if it happens to you but as likely as a plane crash. Myself I have logged hundreds of thousands of air miles with one "forced rough landing", cant call it a real crash. And I never feared air transportation, because of the very high safety probability. Same goes for these batteries, I dont think it was batterystation's defective product that caused this. ANY mismatched cells would behave the same way, and as I said before perhaps the safety vent prevented a much larger explosion, allowing only a relatively small amount of hydrogen to ignite. i concur with chevrofreak's assertions, that there is a disproportionate amount of PM6es with reports of these explosions. Its supposition but I have also noted the ultra stiff top spring putting a lot of pressure on the cells. One of my PM6es is McModule LED only with 18650 cells and a Kroll tailswitch, it puts very little pressure on the cell. Its several years old with no problems. I also dont fault the fellow who loaded the batteries, as I said he is an experienced modder who wouldnt knowingly load it with mismatched cells. i fault myself for not checking the voltage as I customarily do, that would have identified a mismatch and avoided the incident.

But as BS maintains, the end user (consumer) shouldnt have to worry about these things, it should be plug and play. i am VERY impressed not only by their concern to make things right and to go to even excessive means to insure safety, but the fact that there was a manufacturer's response, as inclusive and righteous, not at all C.Y.A. tactics within HOURS of the incident, not days or weeks. I urge Pelican to show the same effort. If someone from Pelican can make a formal statement I will be as remotely impressed (and very pleasantly suprised) as I am with batterystation coming out and posting. that earned huge respect from me, my compliments. I only wish the Sears would come forward like that in the case of my refrigerator that went kablooey (dead compressor) exactly eleven weeks out of warranty. I raised Cain with their customer service folks and got the company boilerplate CYA reply: "according to our warranty terms, its out of date and unable to be serviced, we want to keep you as a customer, so here's a handy rebate for free install of a new unit...." no repair, no replace, no discount, just a free install and I get to accept my fridge is a six foot tall disposable Bic lighter. Dontcha just hate when manufacturers want to have you be happy to buy designed-to-fail-just-out-of-warranty product?

Batterystation offered to fix everything, not just replace batteries, no proof of purchase demanded or forms to fill out. THATS an old school way to stand up for your product and more importantly your customers. I'm very impressed by that. Cheers Batterystation!

Back on track, Batterystation has nothing but good marks from me and if I felt them negligent or cutting corners I'd say so. It also says a LOT that they made the post they did, essentially a public statement ackowledging the realities of the market.

I would really like to hear from Pelican on this..... they DO have that you break it we fix it forever deal. Well, it's REAL broken now....

In seeing the response generated by this incident, in a very weird way I'm glad it happened. I've got my 2 front teeth and awareness is up as a direct result.

In all, PTSD nonwithstanding, its OK.

David_Campen

Enlightened

How many reports have there been here of lights running 123 primary cells that have "vented with flame" like this? If there are others it would be nice to compile all the links here or in some one thread. Many other lights use primary 123 cells; what are some of the other makes of lights that have had cells "vent with flame"?

ptirmal

Enlightened

So what deviation from voltage among batteries is deemed ok? I just tested a batch of batterystation, surefire, panasonic and some goldston (I think, got them on ebay a while ago)... from each brand the deviated a tenth of a volt or so... batterystation's were in the 3.3v's and the surefire's were in the high 3.1's but some of my batterystation batteries varried maybe 2-3 hundreths... I'm not that experienced, where's the line?

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened

Hope you recover quickly.

Thanks for the warnings and the advice.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

LM,

I'm also glad your generally OK, though glass to the foot is never fun!! (I failed to say that above, and I apologize!)

PM incoming!

Bill

Whiteknight

Newly Enlightened

Glad to hear that you are ok for the most part.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

:candle:

Wow! Glad it wasn't worse. Pelican's warranty service will probably give you a new light. Yeah, I wonder why this is happening with PM6's? I guess we all should use more caution on our multi-celled lights!

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lunarmodule,

Thank God you are OK (for the most part)! That's the important thing for right now.

A few thoughts, for what they are worth:

As SilverFox notes, this was almost certainly due to one of the cells being near 0 percent capacity and the other near 100 percent. The short-circuit protection would not stop the reverse charging of the low cell, because the current being drawn through the circuit path was not high. Probably significantly lower than normal, actually.

And, as noted, recently there have been problems with new cells being at a rather large spread of percent capacity, some pretty much at 0. Amondotech Titanium brand cells have had this problem as well. Probably there was some changeover of personel at the one (or two) factories in China that make these.

As for the spring in the PM6 exerting too much pressure, that is highly unlikely.

Ultimately, what we are seeing here, and what I am taking away from this, is that we CPFers need to get a ZTS style tester made for the type of draw rates we typically pull (1 to 2 amps), so that we can test all our 123's to ensure that they are a matched set. Because reverse charging a 123 will cause an explosion. If one or more cells are low and the other(s) are high, then the low one(s) will undergo polarity reversal and will then begin to be charged. This will cause hydrogen gas and other nastiness to be emitted, which will in turn cause an explosion.

A very sobering thought indeed.

As for Li-ion, the nice thing there is that if you charge the cells individually, then you KNOW for sure that you are dealing with a matched set. Plus, the most dangerous thing about Li-ion cells is overcharging them, and not so much short-circuiting them, as even "unprotected" li-ion cells have PTC protection.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you're ok LM, and thanks for the heads up.

Batterystation, I salute your make-it-right attitude, even though it wasn't your fault in the slightest. :thumbsup:

Cheers! :buddies:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank God you are not seriously hurt, by looking at the pictures things could have been much, much worse. Hope you heal fast from your wounds.

Are you able to tell what batch were those batteries? Anyone? I have a good load of BS batteries, that I am checking for any signs of defect or low voltage. but would be interested in knowing if there is a bad batch number to look for.

BTW Cheers to batterystation for being so upfront and responsible in taking care of the situation, that is real SERVICE and no bull...t like some other companies do.

AlexGT

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

glad ur alright... good thing you dropped it or... it wouldnt have been very pleasant.

edit: I guess it is the combination of pm6s and batterstation batteries that is the issue.

-David

Last edited:

batterystation

Enlightened

Just a quick note to let everyone know that ALL CPF orders of L-AA and CR123A batteries from right now on will be ZTS tested before they leave. So even if you do not own a tester, be assured they will be tested anyway. Yes all of them. The one in a million scares the crap out of me and yet we have had good batteries for three years now. We are also going to stock and sell the ZTS MBT-1 tester on our CPF page as well. I have them on order now.
Again, I am VERY sorry this happened. I have many long nights testing every sort of battery we sell from the customer point of view. I really feel badly.

I would like to sponsor a ZTS tester passaround. I emailed Silverfox about this and if someone would volunteer to be "in charge", all I need is an address of the first person for the passaround. I admit I don't have the ability to handle the operation of it but would be glad to get it started with someone.

Kevin

Last edited:

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened

Good to here your ok Lunar. Get well!

I do find it odd that the two blown up CR123 lights I have seen on here were/are M6s.

Also, BatteryStation, very impressive, I think that's the way a business should be run. I know that if something I provide to my cleints is wrong or defective I fix it.

I am also curious to find out what voltage range we should be looking for? Can I run 3.3 with 3.1 or only 3.3 with 3.3? I would think anything within say .5 volts would be ok.

P.S. Anybody have like a guide to CR123 cells, with like a diagram of the inside of a cell, just curious.

Reaper

Enlightened

Glad you're OK Lunarmodule after that experience. After reading what happened with your light, it occured to me that I have a 3x123 KL3 on a UBH that hasn't been used or checked on for close to a year. Eventhough it's not a high draining light, I decided to check the batteries on a lark. First two batteries dead and only the tail-end one had a charge left. Self-discharge? Guess from now on I'll leave the batteries out until I need the light.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened

Holy Crud!!! Add me to the list of "glad you are okay" folks!

Regards,
Scott.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello SRacer,

I don't think the open circuit matching will tell you what you need to know. What we need is a load test that subjects the cells to a variety of loads and reports the voltage at those loads.

The ZTS tester loads the cells and reports the voltage as a % of full capacity. It can be very useful, but I think it could be improved by subjecting the cell to a higher load. The problem is that it would no longer be useful for its intended purpose. A high load would reduce the voltage and indicate that it does not have much life left in it.

I have had several discussions with ZTS and it is possible to get a custom program developed for the ZTS. It is expensive, but it may be possible to get a group buy together to offset the cost. I am not sure what loads would work best, but it should be possible to come up with something.

Tom