RPM Ti M3 bezel

Patriot

Flashaholic
As you may have guess by the title, this isn't a "flashlight review" but hopefully it will be ok to tell you about this finely crafted little bezel which was offered by RPM in the Customs & Modified sales thread.

Here is RPM's Sales thread with product description:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192432

In short, this is a Ti bezel created for the SureFire M3 head. RPM offers them in both polished and bead blasted finishes.

I opted for the polished finish because of it's easy repair characteristics. If it gets scratched or nicked, I can easily re-polish it to make it look close to new again. With the bead blasted finish the only practical repair is to re-bead blast it, as trying to polish out a bead blasted Ti part is very labor intensive.

I had originally requested two of these bezels but since supply was low and CPFer demand was high, I decided to take one for the time being and let someone else have a shot at one. At this time RPM has plans to produce more in the future, including a Ti bezel for the M6....woohoo! I can't wait.

As you'll see from the pics, the machining and polishing of this part are of extremely high quality and craftsmanship. It was a pricey little bezel but when you see the work that went into it you'll understand why.

First off, I was of course impressed with the finish of this product. Machining marks are very minimal and the polishing is uniform. The crenelations are all perfectly cut and nothing was over polished resulting in soft edges or deformities. I was amazed at the quality of the threads too. I don't have an abundance of Ti flashlight parts but so far this has the most perfect threads of any Ti flashlight or bicycle part that I've seen. Very nice!

For some reason I didn't realize that the bezel removal tool (available from RPM separately) was made from aluminum. Prior to receiving the bezel, I had thought that it was going to be a high density Polymer part. When I opened the package and saw that it was a machined aluminum piece I was very pleased. The tool itself is nearly as nice as the bezel.

Now for the pics:

Ti bezel with removal/installation tool
M3Bezel002.jpg

bezel mounted on M3 bezel, M6 Body
M3Bezel004.jpg

M3Bezel003.jpg

another close up
M3Bezel008.jpg

stock bezel and tool after removal
M3Bezel007.jpg

slight deformation after removing the ridiculously tight stock bezel
M3Bezel006.jpg

As you can see there was some slight damage to the radiused ears of the removal tool. I don't believe this was because of a design or weakness issue with the tool because the fit was incredibly perfect when placed into the detentes. I believe that the slight deformation was due to the unbelievably tight fit of the stock bezel, which also appeared to be secured with red loctite...or some other form of the same thing. Honestly, the force required to loosen it could have been as high as 35-45 foot-pounds to remove the stock bezel. Hopefully mine was just the odd one as I haven't heard of others having difficulty. My two minute job quickly turned into a 15 minute job out in shop. After realizing how tight the stock bezel was on there I decided to just take my time and do things carefully so that I didn't damage my pristine M3 head. After some slight heating and some carefully applied serious torque the stock bezel came off. I cleaned the thread locking compound from the head and thoroughly cleaned the lens. I applied a small amount of German Optimol white, assembly paste to the Ti bezel threads and carefully tightened the bezel with my fingers initially. I snugged it down with the RPM bezel tool and the fit was perfect...probably better than the stock bezel with minimal gap.

The main reason that I decided the replace the stock bezel is because I always seem to wear the finish off the stock HA bezel, no matter how careful I am. I have nothing against using my lights but I do try to take good care of my things and I do appreciate it when they stay looking new. With this Ti bezel I'll never have to put up with a worn M3 bezel again.

I'm very pleased with the Ti part and think that you will be also. If your considering it, I think it's worth the money. :)

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot36,

I have noticed in your pictures above that there seems to be a slight gap between the bezel and body. I have mounted the same polished bezel on a KL2 head and it is flushed with the head.

The reason I asked is that I also have a Z46 bezel but I haven't tried to put the bezel on there as I have so much fun with it on the KL2.

I concur with the OP, the machining is outstanding although it is money well spent. It has passed 2 days now and I have yet to play with my other lights except the one which spots this new bezel....

Patriot

Flashaholic
There is a slight gap in between the bezel and head but it's actually less of a gap than the stock bezel had. The close-up pics and lighting exaggerate the gap and make it look more pronounced than it really is. I'm glad to hear that it fits perfectly flush on the KL2 head. That head is a masterpiece and I purchased one during the first couple of weeks that Surefire released it. I sold it for some stupid reason and I've been wanting another in order to have Milky mod it. I'm also thinking about doing the same thing to a L6 head though. Please post a couple pics of your KL2 if you're able. :)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful pictures, Patriot and jumpstat (I saw yours on the other thread)! I'm jealous...I have the nice Ti bezel and the M3 body...but no head yet. :( Soon...soon.........

Patriot

Flashaholic
Beautiful pictures, Patriot and jumpstat (I saw yours on the other thread)! I'm jealous...I have the nice Ti bezel and the M3 body...but no head yet. :( Soon...soon.........

Thanks ttran97. Ah yes...I just remembered seeing jumpstat's pics in that thread. Thanks for reminding me.

Well darn, that's gotta be pure torture not having the head yet. Hopefully you'll find one soon if you haven't already.

I've really fallen in love with the M3 head on the M6 body while running the EO-M3 bulb (with primaries of course). Having this bezel on there makes me love the combo just that much more. I often take this light with me when leaving the house at night. It actually doesn't fit too badly in the back pocket.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ttran97. Ah yes...I just remembered seeing jumpstat's pics in that thread. Thanks for reminding me.

Well darn, that's gotta be pure torture not having the head yet. Hopefully you'll find one soon if you haven't already.

I've really fallen in love with the M3 head on the M6 body while running the EO-M3 bulb (with primaries of course). Having this bezel on there makes me love the combo just that much more. I often take this light with me when leaving the house at night. It actually doesn't fit too badly in the back pocket.

Well, I'm getting my M3 head modded by milkyspit...6 rebels for 600+ lumen! Plus a little something special in the middle of it. hehe...shhhh...it's a secret. Hopefully, I'll be getting it back next week. :twothumbs

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As requested here it is on the KL2 head...

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Enjoy.....

Note..the white specks are dust....

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, I'm getting my M3 head modded by milkyspit...6 rebels for 600+ lumen! Plus a little something special in the middle of it. hehe...shhhh...it's a secret. Hopefully, I'll be getting it back next week. :twothumbs

Hmm........:thinking: A laser!!!..............? :naughty:

Hey, whatever it is, it's a winner with the six rebels alone! Amazing! I can't wait to see it. Btw..you just made me envious...lol :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
As requested here it is on the KL2 head...

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Enjoy.....

Note..the white specks are dust....

You've giving me an idea. I might remove that thin, black, plastic washer between the bezel and lens to see If I can close the small gap that's left. Hopefully it will look like yours. Did you remove the black washer or did yours even have one?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not removed any washers from the head, just the bezel only. One way to check the clearance is to put both bezels side by side on a flat surface, then look from the side. Does the thread height match both? Mine does exactly and I used a vernier caliper to confirm it. So there shouldn't be a gap.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've not removed any washers from the head, just the bezel only. One way to check the clearance is to put both bezels side by side on a flat surface, then look from the side. Does the thread height match both? Mine does exactly and I used a vernier caliper to confirm it. So there shouldn't be a gap.

Ok, thanks for the reminder. I'll go check it now and report back........

Patriot

Flashaholic
How does this look!!!? :grin2:

M3Bezel008.jpg

M3Bezel009-1.jpg

I removed the little plastic washer ring which was .020 in thickness.

So the previous gap was only .020 wide but still visible in the close-ups as pointed out by you guys.

Anyhow, no more gap. It fits like your now jumpstat. Thank you for the pointing that out.

:thumbsup:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one SOOOO bad for my modded KL2!!!
005-2.jpg

THESE LOOK AMAZING!!

I don't suggest removing the black washer.....I did, and the pyrex window cracked on the corner when tightening it down..

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I want one SOOOO bad for my modded KL2!!!

THESE LOOK AMAZING!!

I don't suggest removing the black washer.....I did, and the pyrex window cracked on the corner when tightening it down..

I considered that possibility so was careful when tightening it. Actually, it was more like snugging I should say. I made sure that the bezel tightened against the head and not the glass.

Like you stated, this would be nice on your KL2. I'm KL2 envious right not anyhow so maybe I should be quiet before I make it worse..lol.

Last edited: