Run-Time Plot - CMG Infinity Ultra-G

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My test still isn't done, so I just took a picture of the screen around Hour 23 so you get an idea of what the discharge curve will end up looking like.

plot1.jpg

I'll probably just let the thing peter out overnight and then take it off tomorrow morning.
In this shot, the horizontal divisions don't mean anything. The entire plot as shown is just under 23 hours and counting. What better way to spend a birthday than sitting here watching a meter.
rolleyes.gif

Those two black lines at the top of the picture towards the right are the infinity's lanyard. I originally set the equipment up on top of the monitor, then moved it to a shelf higher up and behind it so the monitor's heat wouldn't cause the Infinity's battery to heat up too much and possibly ***** the test. So everything's pretty much in the upper 70s, though I have no way of actually *measuring* that. I really need one of those no contact IR thermometers.

Hmmmm... let's see if I can sneak one by the meter's software. If I can slip a copy of INFULT.ME1 out over the network (the file is open for write, so it may not work), and if my plotting program works on XP, maybe I can get a chart right now! Here goes nothing...

Dammit. The file copied, but as an empty file of 0 bytes. Guess I have to wait until the instrument finishes, and closes the file before I can do anything with it.
frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
infult2.gif

My copy of Photoshop seems to have "broken" (Fatal error 36), so I was forced to use MS-PAINT. No embellishments or fancy text formatting.

X-divisions are in 1 hour increments, Y-divisions represent relative intensity, with maximum recorded intensity placed at the top of the chart. When the test was stopped at approximately 26:15 in, the Ultra was still bright enough to walk by in close quarters; approximately 1/4 to 1/3 the intensity of an old style white Infinity.

rlhess

Enlightened
Craig,

Use that little jack on the bottom of the meterman and you get a scaled output 1mV = 1 count on the meter for whatever scale you're in.

Another trip to radioshack for the plug! It's a micro phone plug--not a mini.

Cheers,

Richard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by rlhess:
Craig,

Use that little jack on the bottom of the meterman and you get a scaled output 1mV = 1 count on the meter for whatever scale you're in.

Another trip to radioshack for the plug! It's a micro phone plug--not a mini.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm using a silicon solar cell and a meter set to read a low mA range - same as I've always done. This provides for a repeatable, relative intensity measurement using the recording DMM and a custom auto-ranging plotter I had specially written for me. The benefit here is that I can cover the whole apparatus to shield it from stray light. I don't have enough room here to set up a standard 1' or 1M test distance and have it remain covered and undisturbed for more than an hour or so, or anything to cover that much area from outside influences. I've only got about 30 square feet to work with, and it's FULL.
rolleyes.gif

Also, this setup was made to work with ANY light, regardless of how dim or how bright it is. The graph the machine poops out will always register the maximum recorded intensity at the top of the image. It will also accept an event record from 1 hour long up to 364 hours long.

The intent here is to plot a completely linear battery discharge curve that will need no adjustments from light to light, and show how the batteries and/or regulator do their jobs. If I need exact numbers, I use a photometer and a ruler.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm beginning to think that Roy's battery was funky. I used a Duracell, dated Mar. 2008 which I bought on the "gray market" late last spring.
I don't have any other brand of AA battery handy at the moment. I have some Grandcell rechargeable alkalines, but I buried the box a few days ago while preparing for the first of three building inspections I have to put up with this week.
blush.gif

But as I understand, rechargeable alkalines can be ruined if you run them completely to the ground as we usually do with this type of test.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Ok, I've started another plot using another Everactive battery. Should have a new plot tomorrow.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
ultra2.jpg

This new plot was done with the Wal Mart Everactive battery. This is the same brand of alkaline battery that I have used in all the other lights that I've tested which used AA batteries.

This plot is esentialy the same as the first plot.

Note that I'm using the US Government model of the Ultra. Could there be a difference in the regulation between models?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I am confused. Is the Ultra-G is different from the Ultra? I just got one from Brightguy and it is 20,000 mcd with fresh batteries. I ran it 2 times each with Duracell and Energizers and in all 4 cases it took a big dive after 5 hours, right about 5.5 hours. Maybe the unit I have is different then most?

I don't have the htm updated yet, but the xls has been updated check it out at

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/battery.xls

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock, the streamlight 4AA LED graph looks very disappointing. Are you sure of the results? From an initial reading of 110 down to 40 in just 15 minutes, then actually rising back to 50 after the two hour mark only then to take a quick nosedive. By comparsion, looking at your chart, the Inova X5 has a much more useful output curve with a drop of less then 25 percent after five hours.

Tesla

Enlightened
Originally posted by tornadoflash:
i don't want to start a battery war, but i got over 20 hours of bright light with an energizer.
you get what you paying for.there is a reason why
some batteries are more expensive than others.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Consumer Reports found otherwise and their findings agree with my experience. There is minimal difference between "brands" of batteries. The bigger difference is in freshness. My youngest son's Science Fair project one year WAS a battery comparison test...guess what won hands-down?...Tom Thumb's house brand battery...go figure. It's all about how "fresh" the batteries are...buy the cheapest alkaline you can lay hands on if the stores turnover is good.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by geepondy:
Brock, the streamlight 4AA LED graph looks very disappointing. Are you sure of the results? From an initial reading of 110 down to 40 in just 15 minutes, then actually rising back to 50 after the two hour mark only then to take a quick nosedive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was shocked to see the result as well. Would it be much better if it runs on NiMH? I am about to place order for one of this to run on NiMH. This report makes me a bit nervous. It'd be great if Brock could do the same test on NiMH:)

Alan