Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed my Home Depot just got 'em in this week. I would love to see some beam shots. Why is it only 2800 lumen...I thought 35w HID was more like 3200+?

Very tempting, considering I'm about to spend around $200 to rebuild my broken X990....

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light: $49.00
18V Battery: $39.00
Charger: $29.00
The 18v lithium battery is $89/each according to homedepot.com. With the charger that's more than twice the cost of the light!

Looking at the ONE+ batteries, I'm guessing the NiCd style are Sub C cells, in which case you could easily build a 5000mAh NiMh battery pack. That should be around a 2 hour run time...

mds82

Enlightened
Before the HID flashlights cam out i made some of my own LED flashlights. I love them and use them more often then i could imagine!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218092

Since then i've upgraded them to 4 x XPG LED's and its bright. I love it because its a total flood light lighting up the entire room your working in.

3800x600.jpg

mm38

Newly Enlightened
The 18v lithium battery is $89/each according to homedepot.com. With the charger that's more than twice the cost of the light!

Looking at the ONE+ batteries, I'm guessing the NiCd style are Sub C cells, in which case you could easily build a 5000mAh NiMh battery pack. That should be around a 2 hour run time...

Twin-packs of the 18V lithium batteries were $89 each. The NiCd batteries were $39 each.

mm

kramer5150

Flashaholic
... thats about right. (*EDIT* I am speculating so take this with a grain of salt) I am guessing theres nothing groundbreaking or technologically advanced about the light itself. The Chinese lamps and ballasts are carry over from the aftermarket automotive industry. 35W HID kits can be bought for as low as $50, and thats for the PAIR (2 lamps + 2 ballasts). My 55W kit was $69 shipped from a USA retail location... I could have saved some $ if I bought it from overseas.

Its the Li-Io cell chemistry, charger, cell protection circuitry and field replaceable form factor that makes this setup unique.

Replacement battery packs (even at $89 / pair) are considerably cheaper than the other 35W HIDs.

Last edited:

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing $89.99 for a pair of lithium batteries is a short deal, if not already over, to get people to switch to the new lithium tools. Like I said, the website says you only get 1 for that price, and I can pick it up at the store. Doubtful the store has a better deal, though I'll check tomarrow because if I can get TWO for that price then those + the light seems like a good deal. I was already thinking about some other ONE+ tools anyway...

As far as modders are concerned, you would be better off buying old NiCd packs and rebuilding them with NiMh cells @ 5000Ah (more than twice the lithium battery) at a cost of around $75.

I think this whole move to lithium by Ryobi for the ONE+ system is a lame marketing gimmick, at only 2.4ah. You can do that with NiCd cells for way less money. Their lithium packs should be closer to 6ah given how large they are.

Can anybody confirm if normal NiCd ONE+ packs have sub C cells inside? Or for that matter, what cells are in the lithium battery?

Last edited:
Guys keep in mind a couple things:

• If you are just coming on board to the lithium system, you still need to buy a charger that is compatible with li-ion. The charger that most likely came with your One+ Ni-Cad tool kit will only charge Ni-Cad and will not be compatible with li-ion (nor NiMH for anyone wanting to rebuild a pack).
  • Any 18V One+ Ni-Cad battery will still fit the Ryobi HID, it just won't last a full hour per the li-ion time spec. Pure guess, but I'd imagine you'll still get at least 30 minutes or so on Ni-Cad.
  • IMHO it is useless to try and make a cost comparison between an extra One+ battery (regardless of chemistry) and the cost of a replacement SLA cell or any other rebuilding of a give battery pack. The lure of this setup is that you have a backup (or two) on hand and can swap out batteries in seconds. Please don't misconstrue my thoughts to think that I'm calling this a SAR worthy light.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Thanks to a tip from MM38, I picked one up yesterday. It is very bright, certainly as powerful as my plug-in handheld spotlights. The beam has a large hotspot and seems like it will suite my purposes. Like other HID's, it does take a few seconds to ramp up to full power.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
[*]IMHO it is useless to try and make a cost comparison between an extra One+ battery (regardless of chemistry) and the cost of a replacement SLA cell or any other rebuilding of a give battery pack. The lure of this setup is that you have a backup (or two) on hand and can swap out batteries in seconds. Please don't misconstrue my thoughts to think that I'm calling this a SAR worthy light.
[/LIST]

I agree with this comment... I was trying to say the same thing, but I'll just quote you instead. I am not in favor of this light, or saying this is a great product one way or another. I'm merely pointing out that it is a new option to consider.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I certainly don't think its a good deal if you don't already have other tools using the battery and charger but it seems like a great deal if you already have everything else.

I have both Makitas 14.4 NiMH system and the 18 volt LXT system. I did notice Ryobi's Lithiums don't seem that much better but they do on the Makitas. My 18 volt, 3 amp hour Lithium is just a tad smaller than the 14.4 volt, 2.4 amp hour NiMH but it just over 1/2 the weight. Makita claims you should be able to get 4X as many charges as well.

When not in my drill or saws, my Makita batteries overdrive a ghetto 12 volt, 50 watt MR11 bike light. From what I've read, the 18 volts is 313% brighter than if it was on 12 volts. It does start to melt things if left on for a few minutes ... I'd love a clean HID light for the Makita

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly don't think its a good deal if you don't already have other tools using the battery and charger but it seems like a great deal if you already have everything else.

Exactly. First of all you will NOT get two lithium Ryobi batteries for $89. somebody is mistaken. You only get one.

Secondly, you really have to watch out. Ryobi makes TWO different lithium ONE+ batteries - the "high capacity (LOL) 2.4ah pack or a cheaper 2ah pack. This whole lithium thing is just a scam by Ryobi. It has no advantages over other chemistries from decades ago...(besides being "20% lighter", big deal) It's just an excuse to paint their tools bright green and make people think their old tools aren't as cool anymore.

So, the cost of this light = $49.99 + $89.99 for one battery + $29.99 for charger for a total of $169.97 at a bare minimum. Deal = lame unless you're already using the ONE+ system.

Last edited:

SiMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
I seem to have a 4.5 ah Ryobi lithium battery. At least that's what the label on the bottom of the Pack indicates. That's what I got for $89.99, at least what the pack says....

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to have a 4.5 ah Ryobi lithium battery. At least that's what the label on the bottom of the Pack indicates. That's what I got for $89.99, at least what the pack says....

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Ryobi only makes three "ONE+" batteries. (in 18v anyway) One is the NiCd - Ive seen them from 1.2 to 1.7 ah. The other is the "big" lithium at 2.4ah "double the runtime", and then they have a cheaper 2ah lithium battery. Most of the current tool kits that include 2 batteries, include 1 big battery and one small battery. Also all the garden tools with the lithium batteries, only come with the small battery. That doesn't make any sense...

Ryobi could have a pretty cool interchangeable 18v system going on, but they keep it at the crap level so it doesn't compete with other tools like Ridgid.

Edit: Another note, Ryobi does not actually make any products sold in North America. They only sell their label to other companies who relabel them. I have found "Ryobi" tools at Harbor Freight for half of what Home Depot is asking for the same thing.

Last edited:

mm38

Newly Enlightened
Exactly. First of all you will NOT get two lithium Ryobi batteries for $89. somebody is mistaken. You only get one.

Secondly, you really have to watch out. Ryobi makes TWO different lithium ONE+ batteries - the "high capacity (LOL) 2.4ah pack or a cheaper 2ah pack. This whole lithium thing is just a scam by Ryobi. It has no advantages over other chemistries from decades ago...(besides being "20% lighter", big deal) It's just an excuse to paint their tools bright green and make people think their old tools aren't as cool anymore.

So, the cost of this light = $49.99 + $89.99 for one battery + $29.99 for charger for a total of $169.97 at a bare minimum. Deal = lame unless you're already using the ONE+ system.

I picked up the lithium battery twin pack Monday when I purchased the light. The Ryobi part # is P106. They were on the same shelf as the chargers at the Rowlett, TX Home Depot. The price was $89.99.

Edited to add: The batteries nor the literature that came with them have any mention of ah, the battery is marked P103, 18.0V - 24Wh.

mm

Last edited:

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the lithium battery twin pack Monday when I purchased the light. The Ryobi part # is P106. They were on the same shelf as the chargers at the Rowlett, TX Home Depot. The price was $89.99.

mm

Ah, those are the low capacity "compact" batteries. They are only 2ah. They only outperform the NiCd cells by 300mah.

mm38

Newly Enlightened
Ah, those are the low capacity "compact" batteries. They are only 2ah. They only outperform the NiCd cells by 300mah.

They are very small compared to the NiCd One + battery I have. They were the only lithium 18V I could find in the store. In my edit to my previous post I mentioned the individual batteries are marked P103. I actually went back and forth trying to decide whether or not to buy another NiCd or get the lithium twin pack.

But the compact battery does make it a lot easier for me to use the drill in tight spaces.

mm

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
I believe anything ending with 0 cent on the end at Home Depot means on-hand only and they're not getting anymore in.

ama230

Enlightened
There is a drop in that really bright and its about 800lumens. Its pure white light and i have given one to my uncle and my dad and they love em. It has 48 nichia gs leds and it only is 3w. So if you are using a powertool battery its going to last 5+ hours on full brightness and is pure white. The throw plus ultra flood is awesome and gives off minimal heat so the mosquitoes and bugs are going to keep at bay.

I have a review on here with them so you have to just search nichia worklight. They drop in any ryobi 18v light or dewalt 18v light with no modding and will add battery life and put out more than a car headlight.

Hope this helps as its only 20bucks on ebay and these guys are awesome quality and great prices and I can vouch. Oh yeah I said 3w@800lumens and 5+ hrs runtime.

Hope this helps as money is tight everywhere and you can make the best of what you already have.