Safe way to short the pot?

emrbrtn

Enlightened
The highest I can get my 105 with the pot mod is about 7.5mw. I accidently shorted the pot 2 times(well, the first was accidently, second time I wanted to get a power reading) and could get it up to about 25+ mw. Is there anyway to safely use that extra power I found? I'm just not really happy with only 7.5mw.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
What you really need to do is adjust the rotation of the diode (mirror spacing), that is where the most gain is to be had. I had two leadlights; the 1st one I got about 12mw by adjusting the pot, then got it to about 45-48mw after adjusting the diode/mirror spacing. The other one I was able to get about 8-10mw by adjusting the pot, then got up to about 17-18mw after doing the diode/mirrors. I gave the 18mw leadlight to a friend after I got my PGL-III and now my 45mw leadlight after maybe 1 hours use total, the most it gets is about 30; I'm probably just slowly frying it by driving it harder than I should.

There really is now safe way way to short the pot. Just solder a wire across it I guess. No matter what it will reduce the life of the diode.

Jack

LaserMod

Enlightened
LOL, be ready for a Stage 4 mod, now is the time to announce... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There seems to be a very bad design fault in all of the Leadlights...I can only assume it has been done purposely to avoid too much output.

I have come up with a working solution that manages the heat more efficiently and leads to a much longer duty cycle, no power drop-offs and an overall stable pointer with the possibility of more output at the same time.

Sounds too good to be true? For the few I've tested so far - even some really bad 2mw models - have all got to above 45mw with this mod and best of all there are no resistors swapped.

CliffS

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LaserMod said:
LOL, be ready for a Stage 4 mod, now is the time to announce... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh goodie, I can't wait.
May have to get another cheap green laser to try whatever this is out on.

Does it involve more SMT resistors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LaserMod

Enlightened
No, the driver board has not be modified in any way...this mod is also suitable for the 110 models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm surprised no one else has found this problem with the Leadlights...or if they have they are being very quiet about it.

All will be revealed in the next fortnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Raccoon

Enlightened
No time to lose.

Spill your guts Mr Mod. At least tell us the basic principle behind this 'stage 4'.

Does it involve electrical adjustment or optical alignment? adding of components? thermal grease? archaic chant?

Edit: Have to make some guesses...

We're not removing the IR filter, are we?
Flipping the MCA assembly backwards?
*scratches his head*
Archaic chant?

Goldmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Hey lasermod, OH Great One. I will have 2 virgin 110s tommrow and would be a happy tester for your mod ? I guess you have been looking hard at the optics and thier spacing given your recent photos... is it the spacing between the MCA and the diode ?

Gold

CliffS

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LaserMod said:

All will be revealed in the next fortnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1 fortnight = 14 days

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
So if we do your mod and get the laser up to 45mW can we then do then do the resistor mods etc it will be even more powerful?

Bengal

Newly Enlightened
Its been my experience that the output mirror is very poorly aligned. I took one and aligned it , but i dont have a working diode now to test it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

emrbrtn

Enlightened
so how am I supposed to power the laser while I am turning it for the stage 2?

LaserMod

Enlightened
Heh, the principle is relatively simple...but it appears to work.

Racoon you are on the right track... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I 'll see if I can get it uploaded before the weekend - and eventually I am planning to mirror all 5 mods from the forum on my website if possible.

The Stage 5 I would reckon would be diode replacement...but is relatively simple.

The Stage 4 would be MCA correction of that design fault I was talking about...or if preferred a totally new MCA although it is not that neccesary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

emrbrtn - you could try taping the batteries together and wiring them up or try a similar layout to this (without the ammeter of course). If you have a PSU and a couple of crocs - that is the best way.
current.jpg

CliffS

Newly Enlightened
Wow that looks kind of complex, lasermod (the setup, not the process)

What I did was found an old electronic toy that took 2 AA batteries, and put one wire on the front of the laser (I actually pinched it in between the collaminating(sp?) lens barrel and the crystal assembly, and the other on on the spring. It works real nice, its real basic, and was cheap.

Don't they sell 2 AAA battery holders, though?

Raccoon

Enlightened
I actually find LaserMod's method an extremely sexy use of the original packaging. I wish I had thought of it when trying to do what he was doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very PRACTICAL!

PS. I was hoping for "archaic chant". Less chance of scratching my new paint job, and because I can already levitate small objects through my mad buddhist skillz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raccoon

Enlightened
But wait a second...

If you flipped the MCA assembly so the KTP crystal is fed 808nm and turns it into 404nm, and then increases the 404nm to 532nm?

IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

If so, get rid of the ND crystal and you'll have a violet laser!

Not possible. Can't be THAT easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LaserMod

Enlightened
No I tried that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif even though I knew for a fact it wouldn't because the KTP is designed for a certain frequency range.

The Nd and KTP and surprisingly easy to come apart though and a sharp snap 'usually' gives a nice clean break between the two. The IR goes into the crystal but just stays IR as far as I can see on the camera and the crystal does nothing to it. However that said I think it was Shiftlock that mentioned you may get a small flash of blue as the pump diode starts up - although I couldn't get that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

LaserMod

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
emrbrtn said:
The highest I can get my 105 with the pot mod is about 7.5mw. I accidently shorted the pot 2 times(well, the first was accidently, second time I wanted to get a power reading) and could get it up to about 25+ mw. Is there anyway to safely use that extra power I found? I'm just not really happy with only 7.5mw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps, I've totally warped the topic of this thread. Well I suppose it is extra power (safer than the pot shorting) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif