Sanyo Eneloop XX 2nd Gen (HR-3UWXB) test with a MH-C9000

walterwitt

Newly Enlightened
Hello Candle power forums, and welcome to my first post. :party:

--------Background info. Feel free to skip.--------

I was looking into getting some Ni-Mh batteries that weren't crap and decided to do some research into what some good batteries where.

-The crud I own
The batteries that I currently had where all sorts of different brands and capacities ranging from cheep 2000mah made in china POS that I got for $0.50 per cell, to Japanese Duracells witch I seem to have lost all but 2 of. I bought an MH-C9000 in hopes of being able to restore some of them to a decent capacity. but it ended up refusing to charge the cheep ones and I still had no Idea why the batteries where dead every time I needed them. (No idea of High self discharge)

-Looking at good ones
I was thinking of getting some Maha Powerex batteries to go with the MH-C9000 I have because they have a really high capacity and there made in japan. I did some Googling and I came across allot of posts from this forum saying that the Sanyo Eneloop batteries where great, and I also learned about Low self discharge and realized that it's what I needed.

-Deciding on thees batteries
While looking into various LSD batteries I noticed no one had done a proper test of the new Eneloop XX batteries. So I dicided To get them and do a full test with my MH-C9000 and then post the results to the forum.

------Battery Test-------

-Buying them
I Decided to get an 8 pack because you can never have enough AAs. I got them on e-bay because you can't get them in Canada as far as I was able to find on ebay
-Receiving them + Lot's of pics
Something worth mentioning is that it said that it would take 16-20 days to ship (when I bought it) but it arrived in only 6 days which was a pleasant surprise.

Packaging
7PU0Pd0.jpg

Standard small brown envelope. Looks fairly wrinkled but overall still intact. What do you expect for $0.50 shipping? Allot less then this in my opinion.

Let's get this thing open
HVkI1nu.jpg

Inside
WnvT5xh.jpg

Yay bubble wrap. this'll be fun later.:grin2:

And here they are
9yvNHI6.jpg

Sorry for the bad Quality. I would've used my good camera, but wouldn't you know it, The batteries where dead.:ohgeez:

With all the packaging
8Ze7gM6.jpg

The bubble wrap will have to wait, I have SCIENCE to do.

Closeup of the pack
W5eRYMF.jpg

It's a little bent but otherwise in good shape. Also apparently yes, the batteries do come rotated like that in every pack.

The Hologram
rWajKMM.jpg

Oooooo, Shiny. :eek:oo:

The back side
Xl6bUbd.jpg

Lot's of info on the batteries, references the IEC61951-2 Document (section 7.2.1) for the test used for obtaining the data, which is the same method used by the MH-C9000 Break-In Mode. Perfect.

The Charger
l3kZxXz.jpg

Lot's of info about this charger all over the forum, plus I'll be going into detail about each stage later. All you need to know right now it that it's a really good charger.

---------Let the testing Begin!--------
SzaBgnp.jpg

Method:
I'll start the test with a 0.2C (500ma) Discharge to test the initial capacity of each battery fresh out of the package. After that I'll do a Break-In cycle to measure the maximum capacity of each cell.
The Break-In cycle Goes as follows:
  1. 16h 0.1C (250ma) charge to make sure the battery is at maximum charge before the test
  2. 1h rest piriod to let them cool and self discharge so it only measures usable charge.
  3. 0.2C (500ma) discharge down to 1V to measure the capacity of each cell.
  4. Another 1h rest piriod to let them cool.
  5. Another 16h 0.1C (250ma) charge to have it fully charged wen done.

Results Table
9UIm1zZ.png

Cool, Each cell Has above it's advertised capacity and Had more then 50% of it's full capacity out of the package. I don't see a manufacturing date anywhere, so I cant say how good this is, but They where delivered in the middle of winter and most likely spent the night in a cold mailbox so that could be a factor. ether way, it's allot better than my current batteries could do.

Let me now if You have any questions about thees batteries and thanks for reading.

P.S. How was my first post? I think my next post will be about making my own trickle charger for storing and slow charging my other batteries.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man , whos going to tell him that these are fake china clones I'm not gonna tell him,:poke: you tell him. :D

:welcome: Good first post there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
what concerns me about thees results is that it seems that slots 2 & 4 seem to be doing worse with both sets

If you assume a difference between slots of 30 mAh in 2500 mAh, that would be about 1%. That's not bad as a manufacturing tolerance. It would be hard to do better without manual adjustment of each slot for fine tuning.

shadowjk

Enlightened
Heh. I did wonder why the hologram had chinese-looking writing on it instead of Japanese, but then I saw the eneloop.com.hk and sanyo.com.tw URLs on the pack :)

walterwitt

Newly Enlightened
Got the results in for the second pack and added them to the post. also, looks like There isn't a problem with uneven slots with the new data.