Sanyo NCR18650GA questions

QMT93

Enlightened
I can't tell since I don't have the lights, and the Sony battery you mention.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) The NCR18650GA cells fit my 47's MMX-360 really tightly. To put it in perspective, my current NCR18650B can easily slide in and out of it, but the NCR18650GA fits so tightly I have to fling the 47's MMX-360 to get it out. Is it safe for me to use the NCR18650GA in the MMX-360?............
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but just a couple of comments.

The NCR18650GA has a slightly larger diameter. The flashlights with a fit problem will be the older 18650 lights and not so much the newer ones.

The problem is even worse for a protected NCR18650GA. Take a look at this thread.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...0mAh-18650-batteries-too-wide-now-retrofitted

I had to remove the protection circuit and rewrap it to thin it up.

Another question: I currently charged all 6 cells using 2A to 98% or 99%, and stored them in the plastic container. However, as I placed them back into the charger to check the capacity, the charger read at about 88%. Is this normal? Why is this happening?
Chargers usually terminate the charging process when the current tapers to about 10% of the original charge rate (ie: 10% of 2A is 200mA). The charger mentions that the cells were charged to 98% and 99% . I'm not sure how they determine that. (maybe by open circuit voltage?). To really know if that is correct is to measure the voltage of the cells after they have sat for about 15 to 30 minutes and see what their voltage is. The closer to 4.20v, the closer to a full charge.

Sometimes what I'll do is charge at the higher rate (for speed) and then do it again at a much lower rate so that it terminates at a lower current and gives me a closer to full charge. Now there is nothing wrong with the voltage not getting to a full charge (say 4.17v) because the difference in capacity isn't much and I hear that its more gentle on the cells for longevity. I personally don't care about longevity, because batteries aren't' that expensive and so I just don't worry about that.

QMT93

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the explanation! I need informative inputs like yours to understand this trade better.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk