sanyo vs. sanyo enloop

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
In the interest of buying what you mean to buy, other than capacity, what are the differences between sanyo and sanyo-enloops?

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.
Mis-spelling eneloop may have been part of the research problem. Don't let that stop anyone from chiming in.

LSD and durability under hard use seems to be the biggest differences. And that may not effect me in my applications. Maybe in some higher capacity is prefered, others durability.
Am I wrong?

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Neither. :laughing: Get Duracell Rechargeables!!! THEY ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET. :D Sony has the highest mAh but the cost is not worth it. Duracell FTW!

lolzertank

Enlightened
There are little differences. Eneloop are quite normal NiMH.

LSD-Types show less selfdischarging at less capazity. Thats all.
Dont trust to much in in advertising-bla-bla-bla...

http://www.geoclub.de/download/file.php?id=3200

dark-green: Sanyo HR-3U (2700mAh)
light-green: Sanyo Eneloop (2000mAh)

How do you know? People have tested the self discharge. Read this Amazon review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1HMYU4BKE0VY7/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Just so you know, Rayovac Hybrid is LSD as well.

IMO, the Eneloops are the best, but I think Rayovac 4.0s are a much better value. Too bad the Frys' sale ended yesterday...

Either way, LSD > normal NiMH, so Eneloop > Sanyo. :D

Marduke

Flashaholic
Besides being LSD, Eneloops offer a number of other impotant benefits over regular NiMH. Lower internal resistance, higher voltage under load, more tolerant of overcharge and overdischarge, longer lifecycle, better performace at temperature extremes, and honest capacity ratings.

When purchasing new cells, there is little reason to use anything else.

Gazoo

Enlightened
Besides being LSD, Eneloops offer a number of other impotant benefits over regular NiMH. Lower internal resistance, higher voltage under load, more tolerant of overcharge and overdischarge, longer lifecycle, better performace at temperature extremes, and honest capacity ratings.

When purchasing new cells, there is little reason to use anything else.

I fully agree. In addition the cells are very consistent under all of those conditions.

vali

Enlightened
Neither. :laughing: Get Duracell Rechargeables!!! THEY ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET. :D Sony has the highest mAh but the cost is not worth it. Duracell FTW!

Who is talking about Sony?

Duracell rechargeables... the ones that are REBADGED eneloops?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the interest of buying what you mean to buy, other than capacity, what are the differences between sanyo and sanyo-enloops?

Many people get very bad results and bad consistancy from buying based on capacity only. just depends on your needs, and how willing you are to dispose of something meant to last a long time.

Its not just about the capacity being longer when used Frequentally either, When using rechargables in SERIES, the problem of "Reverse charge" comes up when some cells are empty while others are still running good.
damage from reverse charge, really hurts the cells, ruining them even faster.
having very consistant similarity, in the capacity, weather it is right after a charge, or after having sat on the shelf waiting for you, can greatly help the longevity of the cell.

consistant similarity of capacity, and similar self-discharge , in series discharging , is longevity.
there is no value in SERIES to having (say) 3 cells with 2500 capacity, when the 4th now has 2000. and that one is going to get nuked at the end of discharge .

I cant spend 1/2 my cycles (and half my life) testing the stuff all the time to see when it has failed or if it is being ruined from Reverse Charge, so until the high capacity has great robustness, low self discharge, and longevity without loss, i am better off with something that is reliable and consistant.

the enloopy things, will usually have the same everything, and after even years of use and many cycles. so although it only has 2000ma , those 2000 are still there, and more consistant with thier teammates.

if you only see the NUMBERS on the package, then you have only begun, after time, you will know the rest of the story.

Last edited:

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Who is talking about Sony?

Duracell rechargeables... the ones that are REBADGED eneloops?

Yeah, I know you guys are talking eneloop and sanyo. Just making reference to Sony's higher mAh.

Duracells are re-badged? Prove it please. Thanks.

kwkarth

Enlightened
So where are the charts recording capacity and self discharge, and internal resistance data for all these new LSD cells? How do you all "know" that the Sanyo eneloops are still the best performer? How was that ever determined in the first place? Or is this sort of a shoot from the hip decision?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or is this sort of a shoot from the hip decision?
It's really not. Eneloops have been tested to death ever since they came along. To get the whole story you would have to do a search on this forum and on the Internet generally for "eneloop". There are just too many threads to list.

kwkarth

Enlightened
It's really not. Eneloops have been tested to death ever since they came along. To get the whole story you would have to do a search on this forum and on the Internet generally for "eneloop". There are just too many threads to list.
I already know that eneloops are good batteries, but are they the "BEST"?

Who has tested the Rayovac 4.0 for example? How do they stack up?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I already know that eneloops are good batteries, but are they the "BEST"?

Who has tested the Rayovac 4.0 for example? How do they stack up?

Rayovac 4.0's are really nothing more than Rayovac Hybrids (possibly worse), which have also heavily been compared to Eneloops.

At least for now, total capacity aside, yes, Eneloops are indeed the "best" overall.

kwkarth

Enlightened
Rayovac 4.0's are really nothing more than Rayovac Hybrids (possibly worse), which have also heavily been compared to Eneloops.

At least for now, total capacity aside, yes, Eneloops are indeed the "best" overall.
They have different chemistry. On what basis can you conclude they're "worse?" What leads you to believe they're "nothing more than Rayovac Hybrids?" Where's the data?

Thanks!

Marduke

Flashaholic
They have different chemistry. On what basis can you conclude they're "worse?" What leads you to believe they're "nothing more than Rayovac Hybrids?" Where's the data?

Thanks!

No, they have identical specs as the Hybrids, and limited user experience shows them to perform about the same. No apparent difference in chemistry...

However, while they have the same specs, and currently perform similarly to Hybrids, they may be priced lower for a reason (and probably are, besides marketing). They are quite new, and only long term testing will tell, but lower durability or longevity could very likely be resultant of the lower cost.

Or they could simply "budget" rebrand of the Hybrids verbatim, in order to attract more customers and undercut the higher priced competitors on the shelves.

They may also have rebranded them to get away from the negative image Hybrids formed with the general consumer. They got that image after they routinely bundled the Hybrids with an absolutely crap charger which gave poor performance in the long run, and led to dead cells.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I'm sorry to be a pain, but I want to get to the bottom of this.

So you're telling me that the Rayovac 4.0 chemistry is identical to the Rayovac Hybrid? Does that include the charge rate protection built into the cell? Does that include the Patented Lithium Hydroxide coating?

There is something weird going on with Rayovac's products. The 4.0 product seems to have been pulled from their current line up, it's an obsolete product now, but they have nothing to replace it with. Smells like some legal troubles...patent infringement? Copyright infringement? Something!

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What special things do you know about the Rayovac 4.0? Sources? You are quoting lots of information that we are not aware of.